LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Automatic or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Automatic or Manual?

I consider myself fortunate, having owned a 4L60E in my first camaro, a T56 in my second camaro a z-28 mind you, and a t5 in the firebird that i currently own. I consider myself a connoisseur of 4th gen F-body transmissions, not really lol.

It really depends on the person, i have friends who Ive tried to teach stick but i swear there is a clutch gene in people somewhere and it must be recessive in my friends, dunno about you. The 4L60E is a pretty good auto, in my opinion, i drove my brothers avenger with dodges A604 and hated it, the 4L is better because it does have a good final gear ratio, it keeps the rpms low at highway speeds in respect to other autos, and it shifts very firmly and responds very well when you go from normal driving to standing on it in less than a second

The t56 was by far the most fun I'll ever have in a car. First gear is very short, and when i would race from stoplights (spare me the lectures ive heard them all before) i would launch in second because the time you spend in first is time lost in the race. Otherwise there is alot of shifting involved with the 6-speed, because all the ratios are different, i enjoyed that personally and it still hasnt gotten old with the 5speed.

I like the t5 better than the 4L60E but not as much as the t56, i dont feel that the power is put to the wheels as quickly, but then again i went from an LT1 to an L36, so there is obviously less power to put to the wheels. Both manuals feel very strong and are a blast to drive, but the 5speed is better for city driving I think, because not as many shifts are involved in stop and go traffic, because i will admit i missed my auto sometimes when i would get all the way up to 4th gear in the t56 and only go two blocks [:@]

I didnt race any of my cars at the track, so i cant say anything to that effect, but there is a huge difference in MPG between the manuals and autos, with the Z-28s and SSs you should definitly get the manual hands down, if it is going to be a daily driver. in my z i averaged 19 mpg on the highway while i was in highschool, and 15 mpg in the city going to college. One of the pastors at my church had a 94 Z-28auto and could never get above 12 in the city, although i dont think he drove it nicely either.

Sorry for the long post, but i figure for being 18 and having owned 3 of basically the same car but with all different drivetrains in each one, i would give you my two cents. MANUALS FTW!!!! unless you are racing proffesionally[:'(]

Old 10-16-2007, 12:25 PM

I just bought a 02 z with an auto. I choose an auto for many reasons. I have a bummed left knee, I want to be able to drag it, (trans brake). Also if I do go real crazy in HP I don't think I could deal with a manaul

Old 10-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: red94v6

I consider myself fortunate, having owned a 4L60E in my first camaro, a T56 in my second camaro a z-28 mind you, and a t5 in the firebird that i currently own. I consider myself a connoisseur of 4th gen F-body transmissions, not really lol.

It really depends on the person, i have friends who Ive tried to teach stick but i swear there is a clutch gene in people somewhere and it must be recessive in my friends, dunno about you. The 4L60E is a pretty good auto, in my opinion, i drove my brothers avenger with dodges A604 and hated it, the 4L is better because it does have a good final gear ratio, it keeps the rpms low at highway speeds in respect to other autos, and it shifts very firmly and responds very well when you go from normal driving to standing on it in less than a second

The t56 was by far the most fun I'll ever have in a car. First gear is very short, and when i would race from stoplights (spare me the lectures ive heard them all before) i would launch in second because the time you spend in first is time lost in the race. Otherwise there is alot of shifting involved with the 6-speed, because all the ratios are different, i enjoyed that personally and it still hasnt gotten old with the 5speed.

I like the t5 better than the 4L60E but not as much as the t56, i dont feel that the power is put to the wheels as quickly, but then again i went from an LT1 to an L36, so there is obviously less power to put to the wheels. Both manuals feel very strong and are a blast to drive, but the 5speed is better for city driving I think, because not as many shifts are involved in stop and go traffic, because i will admit i missed my auto sometimes when i would get all the way up to 4th gear in the t56 and only go two blocks [:@]

I didnt race any of my cars at the track, so i cant say anything to that effect, but there is a huge difference in MPG between the manuals and autos, with the Z-28s and SSs you should definitly get the manual hands down, if it is going to be a daily driver. in my z i averaged 19 mpg on the highway while i was in highschool, and 15 mpg in the city going to college. One of the pastors at my church had a 94 Z-28auto and could never get above 12 in the city, although i dont think he drove it nicely either.

Sorry for the long post, but i figure for being 18 and having owned 3 of basically the same car but with all different drivetrains in each one, i would give you my two cents. MANUALS FTW!!!! unless you are racing proffesionally[:'(]

what kind of gears did u have in ur z? i have a 6speed and my 1st gear will take me all the way to 45mph. and anything lower than that in 2nd is a dog. u were probably losing gobs of time launching that thing in 2nd

Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Depends on what you race from, if you do race. Stick is better, in my opinion, if your going to be racing from a roll. I think automatic is better for drag racing. I've always heard the less gears, the better for drag. As you can see I have an automatic and I have no complaints! Sometimes I wish I had stick, but when I get stuck in traffic, I'm glad I have the auto!

Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

6 speed Stick shift, dude, it's a blast to drive!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:40 AM

The real question is... Do you want to install a clutch or not? If you don't mind doing or paying for the work to be done then go with the manual. Just realize you will eventually have to do it. I got an auto and im not gonna lie, i miss the stick. But like the other guy said, if your in traffic or a long ride on back roads, the auto will make your life easier.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:54 PM
4th Gear Member

You do realize that this thread is close to 8 or 9 months old right?

Old 04-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Overdrive Member

I would love to have a paddle shifter option on the 5th Gen. -- anyone else?

Anyone tried that speed-shift option they have in some cars, like the Eclipse?

More than anything, I would love to have a car where I can switch from auto to manual and vice-versa...