LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Automatic or Manual?

Old 09-10-2007, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Automatic or Manual?

I know this is kind of personal preference, but how do the manual LS1's drive. I'm going to go look at an 6 speed '01 SS. I've never really drivena manual for an extended period of time, and nothingwith the power of the LS1, so it will be a learning experience. Sometimes I think a manual might get old after a while and I'll miss my automatic. I might take it to the track every once in a while, but I'm not going to be a serious racer, it's going to be my daily driver (though I will probably park it in the winter months and drive my truck). I do plan to do full bolt-ons plus heads and camto hopefully get in the low 12's. Has anyone gone from auto to stick and ended up missing the auto?

Old 09-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Automatic or Manual?

The only time I wished I had an automatic was when I would sit in traffic. Also, those who haven't driven sticks that long will find driving with your g/f's head in your lap easier in an auto. I can drive either way, which is why I'd stick with a manual.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Ninja Administrator

once you get comfortable with the manual, automatics actually get frustrating. I cant tell you how many times Ive been cut off or had to had to brake fast in my dads truck and accidentally left footed the brake pedal [:@]. if you are going for a fun daily driver car get the stick. if u want an all out racer u will want an auto and build the auto.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 PM
April 2008 ROTM

Get the 6 speed homie.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

once you get comfortable with the manual, automatics actually get frustrating. I cant tell you how many times Ive been cut off or had to had to brake fast in my dads truck and accidentally left footed the brake pedal [:@]. if you are going for a fun daily driver car get the stick. if u want an all out racer u will want an auto and build the auto.
x2

Old 09-16-2007, 08:49 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: Matt99camaro

I know this is kind of personal preference, but how do the manual LS1's drive. I'm going to go look at an 6 speed '01 SS. I've never really drivena manual for an extended period of time, and nothingwith the power of the LS1, so it will be a learning experience. Sometimes I think a manual might get old after a while and I'll miss my automatic. I might take it to the track every once in a while, but I'm not going to be a serious racer, it's going to be my daily driver (though I will probably park it in the winter months and drive my truck). I do plan to do full bolt-ons plus heads and camto hopefully get in the low 12's. Has anyone gone from auto to stick and ended up missing the auto?
When I see pro stock cars which do the 1/4 mile in under 7secs all use manual, and Nascar, Indy and even Rally cars all using manuals, then one has to ask why would an auto be even considered for pure racing if the pros don't use it? Aside from that, if you want fun, the stick. If you really need your hands free to eat, drink, be on the phone or self gratification then the auto.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:14 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zoilus

ORIGINAL: Matt99camaro

When I see pro stock cars which do the 1/4 mile in under 7secs all use manual, and Nascar, Indy and even Rally cars all using manuals, then one has to ask why would an auto be even considered for pure racing if the pros don't use it? Aside from that, if you want fun, the stick. If you really need your hands free to eat, drink, be on the phone or self gratification then the auto.
Ummm because the class rules may not permit it (in the case of pro stocks which are really pretty far from a true manual trans). And in the case of the others a manual is better choice due to the type of racing. For drag an auto is THE way to go if rules allow. The fact is that the T56 in our cars has a very poor first gear for launching and the shift forks and sysncros are weak. I dropped nearly 1/2 second off my 1/4 time by switching to an auto, and YES I do know how to drive a stick shift car very well.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Ninja Administrator

hes right. when you get into the really fast cars the time spent shifting vs the time driving becomes significant. A stout auto will win every time. for all out drag you want an auto.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:23 PM

Don't forget bracket racing! Also, in an auto, it's really hard to "miss a shift"! I don't know how many manuals I beat in my auto Eclipse Gsx and they would say, "You only won cause I missed a shift!"....it's actually kinda sad. Don't get me wrong though, driving a stick does look a lot more impressive!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear member

They say you loose about .3 seconds shifting a manual, so it is worth it to get an auto, if you're gonna be drag racing all the time. But i have a manual and will always have a manual in my fun cars. It just makes the driving experience more fun because realistically, most of us will be doing most of driving not on the track.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic or Manual?