Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

96 3.8L Fuel filling issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Question 96 3.8L Fuel filling issues

I've had issues with my fuel gauge not registering the proper level for quite some time now, but now another issue has come up.

First off, I know I need to check that gauge out, but now I got another issue whenever I go to a gas station. No matter which station I go to, my car tends to act up and shut the pump off multiple times before I get to a point where I know I have enough in my tank. That and being in a state that has attendents pumping for you (that of which I don't care for), they tend to have issues with you filling your own car up.

Also, if I get the fuel level over a certain point, I tend to smell gas fumes for days. Yet I also don't know what that level is because I can never truely know where the level is at in my situation. I just figure that if I assume I am full at 13 gallons, and I go 150 miles, I should have used up at least 7 gallons. So when the pumps shut off multiple times by the time I reach 1, 2 or even 3 gallons ... I am either getting some nice mpg (doubtful), or gremlins have invaded my fuel system >_<.

If I need to drop the tank to take a look, I now have the time to... but right now I'm hoping for input of any simple things I can check/do before I get too complicated.

Any ideas on this? I'll be borrowing a scan tool soon to check things out.. but hoping some pro can give me a heads up or direction. Thanks!