93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

small water leak from block?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default small water leak from block?

ok here is what i my v6 has it is leaking a small amount of droplets from what i thought was the water pump going bad, i install a new one and the same leak is it going on, so i checked really good and i remember that when i was installing the new one, one of the holes were on of the bolts go into was leaking water. I tought that maybe water may have enter when i remove the water pump. now that it has the new one there is a small leak like a said, and its on the back of were the water pump bolts into, could this be my block and if so what can i do? can there be a chance of saving it? plz help, oh and the car had been running with out antifreeze for a long time, and in sacramento this last month its been really cold frezzing i would say, thanks for the help

Old 02-02-2007, 10:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: small water leak from block?

Dude...were u running that motor or pure water>

Old 02-03-2007, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya still have some hope. Take out offending bolt and put a few turns of teflon tape on the threads after you clean them up with a wire brush. Make sure you wrap the tape in the same direction as the threads and pull the tape as deep into the threads as possible. Put at least 4 wraps on the bolt.

Flush out the block, radiator AND heaterto get rid of the rust, which you WILL have. When you refill the cooling system, make sure you put in some antifreeze for the anti-corrosion protection (and better cooling) along with a bottle of Barr's Stop Leak.

Had the same problem with the wife's 4.3 in the van and this solved the problem.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:31 AM
Overdrive Member

There are bolt holes that go right through to the water jacket. Any time I do a water pump I put the black RTV on the threads. (I usualy put it on all the bolts even though they all dont go complettely through, Cause I forget which ones go through so sealant on all the bolts I cant miss)
And do put coolant/antifreeze in there. If you happen to notice a freeze plug leaking (there is one on each side of the pump) let me know. I am in Sacramento and have a bunch of different sizes

Old 02-03-2007, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks alot guys wow i thought my dad was going to have to buy a new engine lol, i bet he will be happy when i fix it with the help of ya. and thanks madmike for the offer i'll see what happens what area of sacramento u stay at?

Old 02-03-2007, 04:46 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: camarorz28
what area of sacramento u stay at?
Bumtown. Its on the ther side of the tracks.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with the RTV on the threads, but that only works when clean and dry. Seems the gycol makes the RTV ball up and not seal as well as it could. Plus there's the set up time too.The teflon tape is a plug and go, no wait.

Also, FYI, there's 2 types of Teflon tape. The thin white kind most of us are used to, and the Yellow gas (natural, propane, LPG) thick kind. In some cases (loose fitting bolt) the yellow works better.

And there's many 'wet' bolts now a days on these engines. When I find one, I'll usually mark it on the manifold, block what ever to make sure it gets special attention.

Good luck with the repair.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:12 PM

help we changed the water pump on our 1997 camero v6 3800 and they are still water running down what should we check see where frezze out plug is mentiond any help would be greatley app thanks Ron
ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

There are bolt holes that go right through to the water jacket. Any time I do a water pump I put the black RTV on the threads. (I usualy put it on all the bolts even though they all dont go complettely through, Cause I forget which ones go through so sealant on all the bolts I cant miss)
And do put coolant/antifreeze in there. If you happen to notice a freeze plug leaking (there is one on each side of the pump) let me know. I am in Sacramento and have a bunch of different sizes