Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

small block vs long block i am lost

Old 03-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Question small block vs long block i am lost

hi every one i am new to this site.

so here my issue... i was looking to buy a 88 350 long block for a complet rebuilt i like to get around 300hp+
thing is i dont seam to find any part for it no where
no rebuilt kit
all i can find is for small block
so i wonder are they the same
also its a 350 4 bolt main

i also wondering if it cause any issue , i dont see why but i got a propane set up right now whit a 350 not sure if long or short ( how can i tell the differance i read some where that the outside is the same)?

also what kinda tranny i got a hook that type of built too i need automatic
( would prefer standar but too much work involve to convert)

ya i found that block whit all the part on it as far the seller said for 100$ and the head need rebuilt he said.....

all opinion is welcome plz help me out thankx alot .
i am big camaro fan i miss my 80z28 so much

Old 03-30-2009, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Short block is just the block with the crank/rods/pistons/cam. Long block is complete with heads, rockers is wet it, wire it and fire it.

I save, save, save and save the headache someone is getting rid of something that needs work, work and more work is you are out a grand and it cost a grand and a doughnut is you had the grand. Now if you only had the smarts to wait, for one crate engine is a long block all ready to go is 300+ hp from the factory is what better place to waste your money is for parts or spend your money on a piece?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Default to answer the last guy

i whant to do a rebuilt project.
i never done one and always whanted to built something of my own.
( i whant it to be able to take on my budy acura that we building that will have close to 300 when done)
its a long term project probly all summer. the one under my hood still run
but got 400 000k on it and is miss firering ... not a big deal i paid 300$ for the whole truck
so if i can rebuilt some thing in long term that i can drop in next winter thats my goal

so long block mean nothing so i can go head and look for small block part anything will fit or does 4 bolt affect something?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:59 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if this is not a joke a short block is minus the heads cam oil pan intake and so forth a long block is for the most part a complete motor. there are different small block chev motors depending on the year. if you get the rebuilt kit for your year you will be ok so long as the important parts are in rebuildable condition. block crank heads. the main reson you would want to do a rebuild yourself is knowing its done right and built the way you want it. depending on the condition of the motor the cost may be about the same as finding one that is rebuilt at a shop. they will want a core though.

dd

Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sorry about that takes to long for me to write. it will be a good learning experiance i know my first was. small block chevs are for the most part easy to work with and very buildable.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

oh yah a 4 bolt main is a good thing. 4 bolts on the jurnals that hold the crank in place instead of 2

Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 AM

awsome ill buy that block tomorow or the next day

if u have sugestion on a easy built to put out 300 + hp i also like it to be carbureted....i am not sure if my propane set up is on a carb or not but i can always change that along the way
thankx for the info ...its bean like 7 years since my camaro ... bean around too many 4 cyl......

Old 03-31-2009, 12:34 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think the propane uses a modulator of some sort. it would be interesting to see what lpg could do if built right. should be easy to get 300. headers, exhaust, cam with the right carb and a bonus would be if you have 194 or 202 valve heads on the motor already.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow - I'm not sure what the original question was...

Like others said, there's a bit of difference in whay you can get for engine replacements. A bare casting is just the block itself, while a short block is everything minus the heads, and a long block is more fully dressed w/ heads and valvetrain in place. Crate engines tend to be near plug-and-play, from oil pan to valve covers.

All of them are either based on the Small Block Chevrolet engine - e.g. the 305-350 CID engine series, or the Big Block 427-455 CID series.

So any parts for the Small Block Chevrolet would theoretically fit an '88 350, the question is how much of the rebuild do you want to handle yourself? If you get a short block, you won't have to worry about crank balancing and cylinder honing, as that's already done. If you're really looking to build from scratch, expect to need alot of tools, and time.

And with the right setup, you should be able to get a carbed 350 up to/past 300hp at the crank without propane. The only question is money, obviously.

And as for transmissions, I think a 700R4 was the original tranny for that motor in the Camaro - I don't recall how much it was rated to handle up front, but swapping it out might get complicated, too. It'd probably be easier to get a rebuilt one that would work well enough for that power.

Last edited by traumadog; 03-31-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
4th Gear Member

My opinion is just the confusion over the terms SHORT & LONG block and what they are.