69 Camaro - Big block in Small block car...

Old 03-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Default 69 Camaro - Big block in Small block car...

Is there any tech tips or books that may describe what may be needed to have done to the firewall, heater core, etc. if one was to put a big block into a car that was originally a small block?

Example is that I have a 396 and a Muncie 4 Speed Transmission that I want to put back into a '69 Camaro that was originally a small block car with a auto transmission i believe.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:57 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

BUMP, hopefully gorn or 69 will see it

Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If I were to attempt a big block swap, I'd probably be inclined to try the existing motor mounts and frame brackets to see where everything sits. Some guys have gotten away with it, some not. My car is bare-bones though, and there isn't much to get in the way; no power steering or brakes, no heater core. The BB frame brackets are a lower profile than the SB ones you now have, but the passenger side is lower than the drivers side to rock the engine away from the drivers side. You may otherwise have valve cover to brake booster clearance issues. You might also have a line up issue with the trans at the crossmember, as the BB frame brackets also slides the engine forward about an inch (you are dealing with a longer block after-all). Then there's the heater core inlet and outlet. The BB's are located more towards the fender to give valve cover clearance. If you do wind up needing to change to the BB frame brackets, be sure to also get BB motor mounts, or you'll probably still have fitment problems.
http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-e...l?dept_id=3218

Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear member

You will also need a BB crossmember if you swap out engine frame mounts (recommended for PS box/ exhaust clearance). Frame mounts move the engine to the right 1 inch and a BB crossmember allows for the same on the tranny.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I have a 68 that someone stuck a 396 in. The 396 fit on small block frame mounts but only with stock manifolds. Installed a set of hooker headers and they sat on my steering box. Over the winter I pulled the motor to upgrade the trans and do some freshining up, put the correct frame mounts on, What a difference. They're cheap to do so do it right. Also the motor mounts are different between 68 and 69 (69 are taller) so make sure you get the right ones on. My trans crossmember (TH400) also sits about an inch to the pass side. Fuel pump is tight and headers are tight but everything else fits (Even have a HEI Dist). Heatercore you can get from Rick's (I still have small block core) but I don't drive it when I would need heat. Also look into upgrading your radiator

Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM

I'm in the process of swapping from Sbc to BBC... You will need BBC frame stands and motor mounts... You will also want to use 69 the stands and motor mounts for a 69 as they are thicker and the newer mounts are interlocked... As for headers hooker 2457 fit very well... You can reuse your with poly mounts and just secure with one one bolt or drill your crossmember...as for the heater core... You can reuse your Sbc box you just need to bend the inlets over and secure your hoses before the engine install...

Another thing you will need will be pulleys and brackets for a BBC...as well as making sure you have the correct oil pan... Good luck

Oh yeah rock auto motor mounts 2283 4.97 each...

Good luck