Big block & Small Block: Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Default Big block & Small Block: Differences?

Hi,

Can anyone explain to me what are the differences between a big block engine and a small block?

What do you feel in each one?

I ask this because here in Portugal it isn't normal to see cars with huge engines. The normal thing to see is a 4 cylinder.

Only top cars have the option to choose a V6 and even less a V8!

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Big block & Small Block: Differences?

The big block is physically larger than than the small block. The practical maximum displacement for a small block is around 430 CI or 7L, while the big block can go over 600 CI or 10L. Naturally aspirated the small block is good for over 700 HP, while the big block is good for around 1200 HP. They both can be had with either aluminum or cast iron blocks and heads. Both are single camshaft with push rod operated over head valve systems. They can be either carburated or fuel injected, and supercharged or turbocharged.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:26 AM

Thanks, but I don't meen the technical details.

What does a person feel when driving it?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Feel, as in power or handling of the car? These are all generalizations. I've seen smally's be a hell of a lot more powerful then a biggy.

Power, in general a big block will have more available Torque and Horsepower. They also don't normally pull the similar RPM's as a Small Block can be stretched too. But with the right money and time invested do so. It will be more of a slam you in the seat on launch. The small block can do the same if pushed to the top end of it's power scale.

As for handling, the Big Block is heavy and with that normally suspension systems are heavy to handle the weight and make the car "look right". With added weight to the front, the car would tend to have to much understeer/push in cornering unless the suspension has been tuned for the added weight.

You also hear a different tone to the exhaust. Usually a Big block will be louder then a small block, sound deeper or throaty compared to a small block with the same exhaust.

A fun saying is. There is no replacement for displacement. Want more power, go bigger.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:16 PM

Thank you!!!

When I buy my Camaro I want it to be like it was back then, originally the same. A real classic with no alterations.

That's why I'm asking this stuff. I know that with modern technollogy I can push a engine to greater limits and make it a "monster", if you understand my english :P

So what I would want is a car that is powerful, a real muscle car but with no alterations. It has to be the same as a 69 Camaro would be the day it came out of the powerplant.

I don't know if you got my ideia, english some times is tricky to me

Old 08-21-2007, 03:47 PM
July 2007 ROTM

unless you want 10s or better small blocks are better and cheaper,small blocks tend to get higher in the rpms than a big block too...just get a small block,its the best..here is some input on each as i started a poll on this other forum..
http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3743

Old 08-21-2007, 03:48 PM
July 2007 ROTM

also vote for small block while your their

Old 08-21-2007, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Carinhas

Thank you!!!

When I buy my Camaro I want it to be like it was back then, originally the same. A real classic with no alterations.

That's why I'm asking this stuff. I know that with modern technollogy I can push a engine to greater limits and make it a "monster", if you understand my english :P

So what I would want is a car that is powerful, a real muscle car but with no alterations. It has to be the same as a 69 Camaro would be the day it came out of the powerplant.

I don't know if you got my ideia, english some times is tricky to me
Your english is fine, I can understand you quite well.

If your overseas you most likely know what it costs to ship one from the US if you can't find one in Europe. So if you can take the cost of shipping then you can take the cost it will be to find a true, as it came in 69' big block Camaro. As others have stated, don't discount the small blocks. From a collector standpoint big blocks are getting harder to find so you'll pay more. A very well built, and powerfull small block Camaro is most likely easier to find and you'll still be very impressed with the power.

Will it be high end 7 series BMW or Benz power? Not really, but what you'll have is a car that gives you power in a unique way. Nasty, mean, loud, and attention getting

If you've got questions fire away, there are plenty of first generation Camaro fans here who are happy to help.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear member

I am a second gen guy and here to help as well. If I were you, I would geta 69 with a crate 350 or 383 in it, it will look factory, but build tons more power. You wont top out as high as a BMW or Benz, but quarter mile you will kill them, and leave way better looking burnouts

Old 08-22-2007, 02:07 AM

Hum...

What is the top speed of each engine and how many seconds do they take to get to 60? And if it is possible to say what is the difference in the price of a car if I could find one in similar conditions but with all this different engines.

Z28 302ci/290HP V8 4BC - Z-28 only (HP underrated!)
L14 307ci/200HP V8 2BC - non-SS, 1969 only
LF7 327ci/210HP V8 2BC - non-SS, eliminated during 1969
L30 327ci/275HP V8 4BC - non-SS, 1967-68 only
L65 350ci/250HP V8 2BC - non-SS, 1969 only
LM1 350ci/255HP V8 4BC - non-SS, regular fuel, 1969 only
L48 350ci/295HP V8 4BC - SS only, rated 300HP in 1969
L35 396ci/325HP V8 4BC - SS only, Q-Jet
L34 396ci/350HP V8 4BC - SS only, Q-Jet
L78 396ci/375HP V8 4BC - SS only, Holley
L78/L89 396ci/375HP V8 4BC - SS only, Holley, Al head

Quick Reply: Big block & Small Block: Differences?