93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

People against V6.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: People against V6.

poison, go look at the displacement and power ratings of top fuel cars. specific examples of fast cars with small displacements do not disprove the rule. however, it is possible to have a fast car with a small displacement

Old 04-22-2008, 11:09 AM
2nd Gear member

well of course, but im just saying that "oh just because this car has a bigger engine means its faster" isnt always true
besides i was talkin about street legal cars there lol

Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 PM
4th Gear Member

Your forgetting the SSC Aero, pushrod V8 and spanks Veyrons all day. and spec. the discussion went from people hating on V6s because they arent v8 to people arguing that a V6 build makes more sense than a v8 build because they save money on price and gas.. which are both wasted on the extra effort to get the same kind of power as a modded V8.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Spartan66
the discussion went from people hating on V6s because they arent v8 to people arguing that a V6 build makes more sense than a v8 build because they save money on price and gas..
Have to disagree a little. There was a couple trying to make it look like there was no point in building a v6 because it isn't a v8. I don't feel there's anything wrong with v6's being built. Seen a couple that would eat Z28 and SS for that matters lunch. It's all in what you want, not what everyone else thinks. I believe this post has went back and forth on why you shouldn't build a v6 when, if that's what you want to do, we should be encuraging them to do it. It's not for everyone and if you don't like it you should leave them alone. I personaly think that building a v8 would be cheaper in a sence to build but if you get a nice looking v6 for a good price then hell with it. Do what you do and let everyone else do what they do and back them up either way. A camaro is a camaro and we should all encurage all to do what they want if it's building a v6 or v8 or just making it look "cool" in their opinion.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Ninja Administrator

well, a v6 build does NOTmake sense as opposed to a v8 build when comparing power levels/money invested.

the price gap in the cars is smaller than the power gap. ie, the money you will spend making a v6 as fast as its v8 counterpart does not justify the build if a v8 car was an option to begin with. most of you guys even here in the v6 section have been saying this for months and turned several guys onto the z28 because they were looking for more than the v6 was going to easily give up.

now, NOBODY has the right to say that a v6 camaro isnt a sports car. we may be able to say they arent muscle cars, but thats only because the last real muscle cars were built in the 70s. I dont consider my TA a muscle car, its a sports car. also, NOBODY has the right to condemn the modification of a v6 car, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting just a little more out of your ride. same thing with guys putting intakes on their trucks. does it really help with towing? no. no it does not. how about the diesel tuner packs? do they? no, even more so. they actually warn not to tow using power packs lol. in this new context, we are taking something that isnt terribly fast, and not making it too terribly faster. is it wrong or a waste then? No. absolutely not. it takes something that is already fun, and making it just a little more so.

all of this paper racing is getting a little out of hand. on paper, full boltons and a nice cam may make a 3.8 seem close to an lt1, but i dont think NA stock cube, stock head 3.8's are running 14 flat. i dunno, i may be wrong. i just havent seen that happening myself. unless you find amazorizing deals, you will end up spending more to make your 3.8 faster than a 4th gen v8.

this is all to say that its completely ridiculous to think that the v6 makes a better budget build and makes cheaper power. ls1s are going for an easy 7k now, lt1's for 4-5k. the v6's arent that much cheaper. now, i do not in any way condemn v6 builds. i think they can be pretty cool. I condemn people who think that their v6 is a 12 second rocket because its running 100 octane and their 16y/o *** dyno hasnt ever experienced anything faster (i get to say that, because when i was 16 i actually thought my corolla was fast just because of the lurch as it shifted...... bad tranny = fast i guess [>:]) in my opinion, no matter what you guys are driving you should be out there turning wrenches as often as possible.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: bidicamaro

ORIGINAL: Spartan66
the discussion went from people hating on V6s because they arent v8 to people arguing that a V6 build makes more sense than a v8 build because they save money on price and gas..
Have to disagree a little. There was a couple trying to make it look like there was no point in building a v6 because it isn't a v8. I don't feel there's anything wrong with v6's being built. Seen a couple that would eat Z28 and SS for that matters lunch. It's all in what you want, not what everyone else thinks. I believe this post has went back and forth on why you shouldn't build a v6 when, if that's what you want to do, we should be encuraging them to do it. It's not for everyone and if you don't like it you should leave them alone. I personaly think that building a v8 would be cheaper in a sence to build but if you get a nice looking v6 for a good price then hell with it. Do what you do and let everyone else do what they do and back them up either way. A camaro is a camaro and we should all encurage all to do what they want if it's building a v6 or v8 or just making it look "cool" in their opinion.

this is exactly my point. in my book, a v6 owner who has spent time learning and modifying his car is much more impressive than some schmoe who buys a stock or modified v8 and thinks his shiz dont sting because he can still beat up on the v6. dont discourage anyone from learning how these things work, because i can tell you there are only so many ways a motor can be put together and the more familiar you get the easier it is to work on all cars. thats where its at for me anyways.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
2nd Gear member

soooo....

i think we should split into gangs

V6ers and the V8s =]
and then this thread can be an all out war

not

anyways.

There all cars, people have different motives for buying each. If you got your car from a parent, they probably looked at A.) do they trust you and B.) how much is the car/insurance gonna cost

for example, under my moms insurance it was $5300 (6 mo.) for me to be insured with the old C5 corvette. after that was totaled (and i was deemed not at fault) and i got an "older" camaro v8 (97) my insurance is now $50 a month under her insurance (so thats.... $600 a year). Im not sure exactly what they look at when they calculate that? maybe its because i have good grades but for us thats not a bad price. some parents cant afford the $600 or w/e it comes out to under w/e insurance you use. or they put the responsiblitiy on the kid. i know my parents would never co-sign for me, or anything.

So if you get "blessed" wit ha v6 or v8, then it becomes YOUR car and its natural for you to want to defend it to the death, my dad was telling me his first car was like a 1958 Chevy Biscayne (he turned 16 in '74 ) with a hole in the floor by the pedals and it was a complete POS but he loved it, it was his first car, my mom on the other hand got a brand new 1974 Pontiac Trans AM on her 16th birthday (they're the same age..well shes a month older than him) and she loved her car(till my aunt totaled it)

I got a V8, so therefor im going to side with the argument saying "dude..hellz yeah id get a v8 over a v6" i dont complain about gas prices, because here in America it is still pretty damn cheap (right now 93 oct is going for $3.72 here) and like its funny, when i was looking for a car a few months ago, i went to Ford, (i was looking for an 08 GT) and i saw the mustangs lined up and yeah the V6 and V8s, like 1 point off on mpg! iwas like holy crap, and insurance (atleast with our company) is relatively the same for both.

And you can say all you watn that "oh if i put $4k into my V6, it can totally take any V8" ok well then think of it this way, what if you put the same $4k into the V8, whose going to benefit more? From my understanding of the V6, the V8 is more generous in relation to the gains recieved from performance mods.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:31 PM
4th Gear Member

You seriously dont know why your paying less money on a Z28 over a Corvette? Wow...

But i was in no way saying you SHOULDNT build your car and i didnt mean it to come across that way. I was trying to say that throwing a couple grand into a V6 wont yield the results a V8 would and ive said that 5 times and someone always disagrees with it when in the end its true. When i had my V6 i wanted to mod the crap out of it but then reality hit that i would pay twice as much as a V8 guy would so i bought a V8.. unfortunatly it was poorly cared for and in my personal case ive been set back. I commend people like Erick Valdez who owns the Showstang. He put for the time effort and money to build a wicked awesome V6 that pushes 300 horses to the wheels! But hes not a 16 year old kid bagging groceries at Wal Mart he makes good money and can afford to do what he did alot of the kids here think they can save up their pennies/ask mommy and daddy for a few grand and buy some bolt ons and have instant supercar status. Well thats now how it works. You have to pay to play and if you want to save money on the asking price to pick up a v6 expect to pay more down the road. If you pay more for a V8 (assuming the engines in both the V6 and the V8 were in good condition) then you will spend less down the road getting to the same level of performance you would have reached with the V6.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yet to upgrade a 6bangr with 160 hp to a z28's 275, its gonna take some serious cash to get that 115 hp. basic bolt-ons may not be enough

Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

imo, there is a line to draw when modding a v6 to just getting a v8, cause it takes alot of money to build a v6 to take a v8, specially with our cars, and i had a v6 and i am much happier that i bought my lt1 instead of moddin my v6

Quick Reply: People against V6.