93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

People against V6.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: People against V6.

oh, y'all keep hearing me say I'm going to build a six. This is where the spendy part comes in. But this will be what I start with. I will be able to afford it this summer, and I'll buy their heads too. For the core stuff, I can just go to my uncles wrecking yard for that, and build the entire engine out of the car. When it is done, I'll just make a swap. Then I have a backup in case something happens. This will be a lot of work, and spendy too. Because of the large costs of this project, it will be a long term thing. Y'all wont see me with the finished engine for a while, mainly due to the fact that my main source of profit, my tractor, needs a complete engine overhall. My money is evaporating quickly. But this summer, I expect to make enough in one month doing hay work to buy the block. I will not be the average joe and buy a v8. It just isn't me. I don't really care how much work it will take. Determination can take you anywhere.

block:
http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=PBF

heads:
http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=HCV

Old 04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

spartan you cant claim to know. you drove a single port v6 mustang. it may have been a 3.8 but it got its lunch ate even by the 3.4L camaros
Nah, my friend owns a 2000 V6 that i drove to pick him up from the airport once and it wasnt too bad. BUT you forget that i work at a ford dealership... i drive new V6 mustangs all day.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:46 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98RCMARO

I'll be modding my sixxer because I want to be different.
I love the whole "Is that a z28?" effect, right after I blow them out. (General ricers)
Plus, I got my car for free, perfect condition.
So lets give me 5k for mods and watch me run with you. =)
I'll be spending quite a bit less on insurance, and the difference in premium and regular is bad around here.

Plus, not too many verts around my area. I love the attention.
If i got my car for free id have5 grand for mods after the 3krepairstoo... and like i said id makebetter use of the mods with an 8 than a 6 would.. but i dont live inworld where things are handed to me...Insurance isnt any different.. i just got a price quote for a 99 V6 Camaro from my insurance company and its the exact same with the same coverage.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:50 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigNic

so the conclustion weve come to is it may be cheaper to buy a V8 in some market areas.... but either way moding a V6 / owning a v6 is in no way pointless or dumb its a action based on ones specific situation...
Its not pointless or dumbIMO its just not worth the time/money but thats my opinion.. luckily of which im entitled to..but at the same time buying an intake for a V8 and a V6 costs generally the same so your only really saving alittle bit of money at the pump. and if you have plans of being a 9 second V6 its going to cost you more than being a 9 second V8 because youll need more mods to reach that level of performance. In the end that money you saved on the price or at the pump will be spent trying to reach the performance level of a modified V8.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:52 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Insurance isnt any different.. i just got a price quote for a 99 V6 Camaro from my insurance company and its the exact same with the same coverage.

Why did you get a V6 quote? And you usually need the vin to do that with these cars. Otherwise they just give you their more spendy price quote. When I called my company, they gave me a quote that seemed expensive. When I went to insure the car, it was a heck of a lot cheaper than what they said.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:54 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: musicman

This will be a war that will NEVER be settled. I thought you had to run premium in the v8's to get them to run properly. If you do, then while the mpg might not be a whole lot differant, gas is cheaper. My six gets outstanding mileage. I don't need a V8, this is my commuter car. The 3.8 today is similar to the grand national engine. Things have changed with the advances in technology. It's like comparing a 60's 350 in a pickup to a 90's 350 in a pickup. They are differant, but the same. I shopped for a long time looking at cars. All the Z's I came accross were trashed because of being run hard every second of the day. Almost every one I came accross for 4 grand needed a tranny, rear end, or engine, but usually an engine. For my purposes, it's silly to have a V8. The money I'm saving on gas and insurance is great. I had a Bonneville with the same engine, and this Camaro with it's 5spd gets better mileage, and the insurance is surprisingly cheaper too. I had a Jeep with a 360 V8 in it, made a lot of power. But I averaged 6-7 mpg on the highway. If I feel the dire need to put a V8 in this car, it will be the LSX engine with a stand alone fuel injection setup. Otherwise, I'm sticking to my plans to build a six.
I agree V6s are great cars if your in a pinch for money and need/want something sporty but good on gas. I still say that if you have the money to buy a V6 and mod the crap out of it you have the money to mod a V8 and all that good stuff... However being unique is cool and if you want to be able to go to the track and brag about how you spent a ton to get your V6 to run 9s thenmore power to you.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:58 PM
4th Gear Member

Insurance isnt any different.. i just got a price quote for a 99 V6 Camaro from my insurance company and its the exact same with the same coverage.

Why did you get a V6 quote? And you usually need the vin to do that with these cars. Otherwise they just give you their more spendy price quote. When I called my company, they gave me a quote that seemed expensive. When I went to insure the car, it was a heck of a lot cheaper than what they said.
I was at a local private lot last weekand they had a 99 V6 for a pretty good price so i called to see what the insurance company would charge me.. the car was right infront of me and so i gave them the vin..

Old 04-22-2008, 12:00 AM
4th Gear Member

And you usually need the vin to do that with these cars. Otherwise they just give you their more spendy price quote.
Idk what insurance company you have but i can go online to get a quote for the same car and get the same result i got from calling in with the vin.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:24 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

You crack me up. Every time someone tries to prove you wrong, you pull out a magic hat full of excuses. Insurance is cheap? Nah, I went to a dealership and looked at the vin in their v6 camaro to get a price quote. So, you might buy a V6 huh? Smart move in my book!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:29 AM
4th Gear Member

You crack me up. Every time someone tries to prove you wrong, you pull out a magic hat full of excuses. Insurance is cheap? Nah, I went to a dealership and looked at the vin in their v6 camaro to get a price quote. So, you might buy a V6 huh? Smart move in my book!
Yeah... thats right magic hat.. i made it all up... http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/car/645321538.html.... It had a puddle under the rear bucket so i ditched that idea... I was interested because i cant find any 98-02 Camaros of ANY engine size for under 6k in my area. I called my insurance company and they asked me the usual questions.. Year.. Make.. Model.. Engine.. Vin.. the works.. In this thread everyone trying to "prove me wrong" is arguing that its basically better to buy/mod a v6 because you save a couple bucks on the asking price and at the pump but in reality they spend more on mods.. just to be "unique". I mean its legit to need a good gas car especially since most of the people around here are kids but then there are the kids who want a race car V6 Camaro and are proud that they have a car that gets good gas mileage but dont realize if they want to play theyve got to pay... more than a guy with a V8 would..

Quick Reply: People against V6.