93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

People against V6.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: People against V6.

nic, im sorry bro, but the price difference between a 95 camaro base and Z is1k (actually 800 on my search) on a bad day.same thing for 96 which had the 3.8. that means, for our comparison, you only had 2 years to even discuss before you start competing with the ls1 and then ur just outright screwed if u wanna stay NA. interestingly, the 96 v6 is similar in cost to the 95 z28.

deals aside, these are average figures. 1k isnt going to get you near the lt1. this is the whole basis for saying dont modify your v6 if you are looking for a cheap way to take out the v8s. not going to happen. lets say it takes about 2-3k to match an lt1, now, we hand you each 500 bucks. you do... whatever you can at that stage with 500... plugs... wires... i dunno, not much you can do after spending 3k. the lt1 buys headers and is now making a considerable amount of power over you.

i have every v6 owners back when it comes to justifying owning, and even modifying one.... but when the discussion turns to cost effective power, vehicle cost included, the v8 is still far and away the smarter choice

Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

exactly specter.
i sold my 98 camaro v6 for 3200, but cause i gave the dude a deal, it could have easily sold for 4k or more..and i turned around and bought my 97 t/a v8 for 5k...bigggg difference and i am much happier i did that, cause now, the money i could have spent to get my v6 to get the power of a stock lt1, i can take and build the car ive got now, and have people like specter eatin my dust lol, just give me time buddy

Old 04-23-2008, 07:38 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

nic, im sorry bro, but the price difference between a 95 camaro base and Z is1k (actually 800 on my search) on a bad day.same thing for 96 which had the 3.8. that means, for our comparison, you only had 2 years to even discuss before you start competing with the ls1 and then ur just outright screwed if u wanna stay NA. interestingly, the 96 v6 is similar in cost to the 95 z28.

deals aside, these are average figures. 1k isnt going to get you near the lt1. this is the whole basis for saying dont modify your v6 if you are looking for a cheap way to take out the v8s. not going to happen. lets say it takes about 2-3k to match an lt1, now, we hand you each 500 bucks. you do... whatever you can at that stage with 500... plugs... wires... i dunno, not much you can do after spending 3k. the lt1 buys headers and is now making a considerable amount of power over you.

i have every v6 owners back when it comes to justifying owning, and even modifying one.... but when the discussion turns to cost effective power, vehicle cost included, the v8 is still far and away the smarter choice
again man i think in your market that is definately true. but like i showed eriler in this thread the only only only Z thats anywere close to more cost effective withing 100 miles of my home has 200k miles...and like i said if the V8 market in your area is good and you can get a good price on a Z awesome. what im saying here in my expercance the only way to get any were near a good price on a Z you have to go with a private seller. and then you need to have full money upfront....

Old 04-23-2008, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: BoricuaHec01

The 2009 Camaro V8 will be 400 HP stock, so thats alil bit faster then the V8s now.
the new maro is going with the Zeta platform....

aka just like a GTO...

so in looking at that perpective, the LS2 GTOs are only slightly faster, and soemtimes just on the same level as an LS1 Z28.. they're a bit heavierr cars..
so i mean, its nothing like mind boggling.

you'd still rather get a base c6 with their new and revamped 6.2 (or was it 6.3??) L engines

Old 04-23-2008, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear member

I don't know about the rest of you guys that are modding your sixxers, but I'm not looking to best another Camaro.
Around here, theres nothing too out of reach for my six, other than the occasional vette.
If I lose to a z28, so what? Chevy beat Chevy, big deal.
I'm just looking to spank the ricers for a while until I can afford insurance on a bigger engine.
I want something fun to drive, that can have the power when I want it, a cruiser.
I don't need a 10 sec v6 to have fun. 90% of the races I've found on the street I've won, I don't need to go overkill, lol.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 PM
4th Gear Member

ugh. you guys are really making me want a LS1(not that i dont want one, but i cant find one/sell my car)

Old 04-23-2008, 09:37 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BoricuaHec01

Or you can mod the **** out of your V6 to make it sound and go as fast as a V8 and pay cheaper gas and also lower insurance payments. Then if you want to upgrade, next year invest in a 2009 V6 camaro cuz those will go faster then the V8s that are out now.
Wrong and wrong. Do you think if you build a V6 with around 300 horsepower you will still get 20+mpg.... no...and like i said like 20 times before V6 insurance isnt much less if any than the Z28.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:13 AM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

50 bucks less a month is 600 bucks less a year....

Old 04-24-2008, 02:33 AM
2nd Gear member

For what it's worth I did an insurancequote for the same year Z28 and it's the exact same price, maybe like 20 bucks more a year. I'll settle for my 16 second 200 HP 3.8 and my 2007 CBR600RR which will spank any one of you owning a LS1/LT1

I do plan on getting an 02 Z28 next year however, but my car is paid off, and I just want to save my money right now. Pure economics my friend.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i also agree

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

Mind if I chime in? Thanks!
A few years ago I had a 94 3.4 v-6 Camaro which was in pristine shape, with a z28 cat-back exhaust and K&N CAI. But, one time my wife humiliated me by blowing my doors off at the light with her Chrysler minivan. After that I could only think of wanting more than what mine could offer, and I didn't want to try to mod the 6 cuz I knew it would have been a money-pit. So I bought a 96 Z28 convert. and never looked back with regret.
When Spartan said "theres no replacement for displacement" that's the truth. Sure you can squeeze out high h.p. numbers from a 6 or a 4, but the power band is generally at a much higher rpm than the v-8 is in. Sorry, but nothing matches the low-end eye-ball popping Torque of an 8!
I originally got the v-6 car because it was in my price range (at the time). If that's all you can afford, fine. And I don't see anything wrong with having a v-6 Camaro, if that's what floats your boat. I'm also not going to bash anyone here because of it, I've been there too, and besides, we're all related here by Chevy blood anyway.
Part of the issue as I have experienced it, is that for a while you're perfectly happy with your car as it is, until someone spanks you at the red light. Then you gotta have more than the other guy and it snowballs from there....fast enough is never fast enough!!!
There's also another issue with modding a v-6 to extremes, or any engine for that matter, and that is reliability. A lot of the bolt-on mods are fine, but once you start pushing and pushing and pushing that engine beyond it's natural limits, it isn't going to last as long as a stock built engine.
Now, I recently bought a '91 RS with the 305, and I have seen numerous comments here on how some members think that engine is a dog too. That's OK, I'm not gonna cry over that, but maybe we 305 owners should get in line right after the v-6 owners in the complaint department? I know it's no screamer, but it ain't half bad, and it's much better than the v-6 I had!
At least if I get an itch to go out and curl the blacktop, I can take my '69 out. My 91 will stay my "normal" car. And if I'm out in my '91 and someones says "wanna race" I'll say "hang on, I'll be right back"!

Quick Reply: People against V6.