93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

People against V6.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: People against V6.

Mind if I chime in? Thanks!
A few years ago I had a 94 3.4 v-6 Camaro which was in pristine shape, with a z28 cat-back exhaust and K&N CAI. But, one time my wife humiliated me by blowing my doors off at the light with her Chrysler minivan. After that I could only think of wanting more than what mine could offer, and I didn't want to try to mod the 6 cuz I knew it would have been a money-pit. So I bought a 96 Z28 convert. and never looked back with regret.
When Spartan said "theres no replacement for displacement" that's the truth. Sure you can squeeze out high h.p. numbers from a 6 or a 4, but the power band is generally at a much higher rpm than the v-8 is in. Sorry, but nothing matches the low-end eye-ball popping Torque of an 8!
I originally got the v-6 car because it was in my price range (at the time). If that's all you can afford, fine. And I don't see anything wrong with having a v-6 Camaro, if that's what floats your boat. I'm also not going to bash anyone here because of it, I've been there too, and besides, we're all related here by Chevy blood anyway.
Part of the issue as I have experienced it, is that for a while you're perfectly happy with your car as it is, until someone spanks you at the red light. Then you gotta have more than the other guy and it snowballs from there....fast enough is never fast enough!!!
There's also another issue with modding a v-6 to extremes, or any engine for that matter, and that is reliability. A lot of the bolt-on mods are fine, but once you start pushing and pushing and pushing that engine beyond it's natural limits, it isn't going to last as long as a stock built engine.
Now, I recently bought a '91 RS with the 305, and I have seen numerous comments here on how some members think that engine is a dog too. That's OK, I'm not gonna cry over that, but maybe we 305 owners should get in line right after the v-6 owners in the complaint department? I know it's no screamer, but it ain't half bad, and it's much better than the v-6 I had!
At least if I get an itch to go out and curl the blacktop, I can take my '69 out. My 91 will stay my "normal" car. And if I'm out in my '91 and someones says "wanna race" I'll say "hang on, I'll be right back"!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

^^ i second that

Old 04-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Ninja Administrator

69, i believe the point which needs to be emphasized is that, on a tech forum such as this, performance is a central focus. the v6 models and the 305 are not peak performers. they were designed, and function, as economy platforms. which is why the advice "car swap over motor swap" is generally good advice and by no means a statement that v6 or 305 owners should be ashamed, but be realistic about what you own. and once you are realistic about it, be proud of it

Old 04-23-2008, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the v6's, i had one and i loved it, buttt for hp junkies, if your lookin for big gains, youll get bigger and better gains spending less than you would to get even a close amount of power with a v6. but there is nothing wrong with modding a v6, but basic bolt ons exhaust etc, will not give you the hp ur expecting, yeah, you can spend 3 grand modding your v6 to get the stock power of a v8 or you could take that money and the money you get from selling your car and have a v8, maybe even left over money to mod.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Or you can mod the **** out of your V6 to make it sound and go as fast as a V8 and pay cheaper gas and also lower insurance payments. Then if you want to upgrade, next year invest in a 2009 V6 camaro cuz those will go faster then the V8s that are out now.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Ninja Administrator

the new expected v6 will not be faster than the last version v8. in fact, the new v8s will only be a little faster than the last v8s that were made. and you cannot make a v6 sound like a v8. we have also already covered the fact that gas mileage goes down with performance. a "modded to ****" v6 will NOT get better mpg than a v8

Old 04-23-2008, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

The 2009 Camaro V8 will be 400 HP stock, so thats alil bit faster then the V8s now.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:19 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

ORIGINAL: meteoralp45

youll get bigger and better gains spending less than you would to get even a close amount of power with a v6.
as ive just proven this is not nessicarrly true....

Old 04-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Ninja Administrator

yes, a little bit faster than the 350hp v8 that was last released. its also going to be heavier than the current model. so like i said, a little faster.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:33 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

the LS1 f bodys where far ahead of their time...... pitty i like the LT1 front facia so much more ...

Quick Reply: People against V6.