Who knows anything about wiring subwoofers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
As far as hooking up the subs, that's a different ball park. They'll be hooked up directly to the amplifier. It depends on if the subs are 2, 4, or 8 ohms. Typically they will be 4ohm. Also it depends on if the subs are single or dual voice coil.
Well how do I find all this Information out. I know that they are ten Inch JL subs that are a couple year old. Thats about that. Whats the difference between subs wires or amp wires.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Amp wiring supplies power from the battery to the amp. Sub wiring supplies sound from the amp to the subs. There should be a model number on the back of the sub. That will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 PM
2nd Gear member

Amp wiring supplies power from the battery to the amp. Sub wiring supplies sound from the amp to the subs. There should be a model number on the back of the sub. That will tell you everything you need to know.
Alright as far as the ground cable works where did you hook that up to In the truck of your car because Im not sure where to hook mine up.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The hatch latch bolt is a good place.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear member

The hatch latch bolt is a good place.
Alright I will post In this topic again when I find out the specs with will probably be next monday. But thanks for helping. One question I did have was why are people calling these speakers I thought they were subs. Idk.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If they're 10", they're definitely subs. They might be referring to you changing the door speakers or something. They can still be called speakers. But in all truth, they're subs lol.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 PM
2nd Gear member

If they're 10", they're definitely subs. They might be referring to you changing the door speakers or something. They can still be called speakers. But in all truth, they're subs lol.
Thanks for your help It will help me when I Install these things. One more thing would be as far as sanding the ground cable. Will I sand the ground cable Itself or the cars bolt along with the base where the bolt would normally be. I am confused on what pieces to sand.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The speakers (subs, same dif) should say on the back (might need to remove from the box). It should have the model number, it might also have a rms and a max number (i.e. 175 watts rms and 500 watts max) rms is The amount of power your speaker or sub can handle continuously. Max power or "peak" power is the amount of power a speaker or sub can handle in short bursts. So, you typically want to match rms power on your speaker or subs with that of an amplifier. The gauging of wire isn't as importantant as most people make it seem. I follow the rule, the longer the wire needs to be the thicker it should be. Over time it will break down if it is too small. Unless your using 1000+ watts of power in your subs and amp any wire bigger than 10 gauge will work. Remember the bigger the number in the gauge of wire, the smaller the wire. I.e. 10 gauge wire is physically smaller than 4 gauge.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by mre924
The speakers (subs, same dif) should say on the back (might need to remove from the box). It should have the model number, it might also have a rms and a max number (i.e. 175 watts rms and 500 watts max) rms is The amount of power your speaker or sub can handle continuously. Max power or "peak" power is the amount of power a speaker or sub can handle in short bursts. So, you typically want to match rms power on your speaker or subs with that of an amplifier. The gauging of wire isn't as importantant as most people make it seem. I follow the rule, the longer the wire needs to be the thicker it should be. Over time it will break down if it is too small. Unless your using 1000+ watts of power in your subs and amp any wire bigger than 10 gauge will work. Remember the bigger the number in the gauge of wire, the smaller the wire. I.e. 10 gauge wire is physically smaller than 4 gauge.
Thanks for the Information. Obviously these subs wont be over a thousand watts. Are you saying I should get ten or four gauge. Another guy said four gauge.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would go with 4 gauge. It will give you room for upgrades later and will feed plenty of power to your amplifier.

Quick Reply: Who knows anything about wiring subwoofers.