Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:10 PM
2nd Gear member

I kinda like this looks of the evolve set and am considering ordering It but Is there any other sets like this that ya guys know of for around the same price range because I was only really shown one link to look at are there better sets or tools etc out there that I could find online for the same price. I dont know much about tools or the quality. But Is there a better set about the same pieces and price range. Or Is this one of the better starter ones out there for the price. I Just wouldnt want to buy this set to find out that there Is better ones out there with the same or more tools for the same price. I dont really know what to look for or where to look online and I know there are other tool sets are there any other ones ya could reccomend because I dont want to choose from one set then find out there Is better I Just wasnt sure where to look then.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
I kinda like this looks of the evolve set and am considering ordering It but Is there any other sets like this that ya guys know of for around the same price range because I was only really shown one link to look at are there better sets or tools etc out there that I could find online for the same price. I dont know much about tools or the quality. But Is there a better set about the same pieces and price range. Or Is this one of the better starter ones out there for the price. I Just wouldnt want to buy this set to find out that there Is better ones out there with the same or more tools for the same price. I dont really know what to look for or where to look online and I know there are other tool sets are there any other ones ya could reccomend because I dont want to choose from one set then find out there Is better I Just wasnt sure where to look then.

Get the evolve set , I have had craftman tools for over 30 years and they are perfect for the job. You well have them for the rest of your life and if you break a piece, just go to sears and they well give you a new one. Hard to get better than that. Now go get the set, your not gone yet

Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear member

Im not done yet with what lol and I was Just seeing If ya guys thought It was a nice set for the cost and If It will have most the common sockets used on cars snowmobiles mowers etc or If It kinda Is missing alot of common sockets but It seems like ya guys are saying It will get the normal Jobs done and has most the sockets that are common so I will pick this set up. Then.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:29 PM

You might try looking on Ebay for some ratcheting wrenches. They are fairly reasonable in price and the Gearwrench brand is pretty good quality. They are also sold by Sears. Get a metric set 10mm to 19mm will cover most uses.

Don

Old 09-29-2011, 03:19 PM
2nd Gear member

I would If I used a ebay account but I will look online for other tools then.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by impala765
Get the evolve set , I have had craftman tools for over 30 years and they are perfect for the job. You well have them for the rest of your life and if you break a piece, just go to sears and they well give you a new one. Hard to get better than that. Now go get the set, your not gone yet
How do you know Sears will even carry evolv next year? Their cheap tool where Companion. They dropped that line in 2007. Next will be whatever company that can under bid Evolv.

OP: Do yourself a favor just do a tool search on google for "Evolv reviews"

Old 09-29-2011, 07:09 PM
2nd Gear member

I didnt see anything to bad about It Is there a thing I should be looking for then.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn

What to look for in a socket set:
The ratchet. Feel the rotating of ratching head. You want it to feel tight. If you put a deepwell socket on it and move it around there should be some play between the socket and the ratch but not a lot between ratchet head and the ratchet body. Second would be the angle between clicks or how many click for 360 degs. More is better. Sucks when you in a tight place and you can only get one click on the ratchet. If you have time you should go around and feel some tools so you get an idea.

Sockets: Sometimes 12 point sockets are handy to have but 95% of the time you want a 6 point socket. Since looking at China made stuff I won't go into corner reliefs but if there was some way you can check the fit of say a half inch bolt head from one set to the other the tighter fit would be the better.
You mean other then this?

I found this:
I liked Evolv until I broke the socket wrench! The no receipt- no exchange policy Sears has for these tools is "Baloney". I WILL NEVER BUY THESE OR SHOP AT SEARS AGAIN!!! Do not buy these- they are not like Craftsman! You must have your receipt to exchange them! (and keep your receipt in a place you can find it for life!!???) I'm a mechanic, not a seceratary. I've now got $150 of Evolv tools that I'm afraid to use in case they break! Buy Kobalt from Lowes for a no-hassle, no-questions asked lifetime warranty. Christmas is coming- buyer beware!!! Again- the warranty on Evolv is only valid with a receipt!!!
BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Gorn; 09-29-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear member

I searched reviews like you said but didnt get that bad of reviews and I wont be able to test the tools as ya suggested because they dont have these In stock at my store says the website thats why I was thinking of Just buying them and figuring they would be fine since they are craftsman also I cant afford a hundred fifty bucks set with the same piece tools.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Snap on ftw. Just find your local truck, exchange broken tool, and go about your business.

Quick Reply: Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.