Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Any ratchet can break. I have never broken a Snapon but I have broken a lot of craftsman. I have the Craftsman Pro seriess ratchets and I have had to return 2 already. Yes IMO Evo and HF are the same thing. There is a good chance you could find the exact same Evo tool if you looked hard enough at HF.

The great thing about Sears is they are everywhere but if you have a HF near you all their tools have the same warranty as Craftsman.

Like I said China prices on China tools and sell them when your ready to upgrade.
Display

Last edited by Gorn; 09-23-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear member

It kinda makes me not wanna get the evo or the harbor stuff because people said harbor was crap that would mean that evolve Is crap then.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear member

Im kinda deciding between these sets I like the evolve because It comes with more tools It Is also twenty dollars cheaper but people are saying that the evolve tools are as crappy as harbor Idk what to get.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Then.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:16 AM
Tech Droid

Unless myou are professional mechanic depending on your tools for a living, you don't need to spend a lot of money for tools just to tinker with your car. If a tool breaks, just get another, it won't break the bank. If you are afraid of breaking sockets, get a cheap set of impact sockets. They are ugly, but even the cheapest ones are tough enough to stand up to a breaker bar.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

Just because they are impact doesn't its stronger it just means that if it breaks on a impact gun it break in lol peice and cut your face up. You can't complain about breaking tools if you want cheap. A decent hand wrench cost $120 from snapon and the sockets are bout $15-$25 each so the choice is yours.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by RFxCamaro
Just because they are impact doesn't its stronger it just means that if it breaks on a impact gun it break in lol peice and cut your face up.
Next time you look at impact sockets look at wall thickness. Even on the cheap tools the walls are much thicker therefore even in cheap tools they are stronger. For a socket to be called an "impact socket" there is a ASE spec for strength that needs to be met. With none China made sockets, standard socket and impact sockets are not made from the same material. Since the China made sockets are made from 1010/20 grade the only differents is the wall thickness.

The down side to the thicker wall is there are many places they will not fit.

Between the last two links you posted I would get the Craftsman. As stated before start looking for used on craigs list. Older Craftsman stuff is very good tools (70's back). I have an old 1/2 craftsman standard ratchet and a Pro series 1/2". Based on feel I think the old ratchet is a better tool.

What to look for in a socket set:
The ratchet. Feel the rotating of ratching head. You want it to feel tight. If you put a deepwell socket on it and move it around there should be some play between the socket and the ratch but not a lot between ratchet head and the ratchet body. Second would be the angle between clicks or how many click for 360 degs. More is better. Sucks when you in a tight place and you can only get one click on the ratchet. If you have time you should go around and feel some tools so you get an idea.

Sockets: Sometimes 12 point sockets are handy to have but 95% of the time you want a 6 point socket. Since looking at China made stuff I won't go into corner reliefs but if there was some way you can check the fit of say a half inch bolt head from one set to the other the tighter fit would be the better.

Woot! Post 4000

Last edited by Gorn; 09-24-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok again I have that same evolv set. As well as just about every craftsman hand tool that they make not to mention there's a harbor freight about ten min away from me there hand tools are absolute garbage just about every one of them broke on me. I personly have and use the evolv set for most of the small jobs on my cars. It's way better quality then hf and like I said before I would also get a few longer extensions with it. And I hate to say it craftsman turned to crap after kmart bought them out I'm glad most of mine are prior that and there exchange policy has declined a little bit too you use to go in with a broken tool and they would just pull another one off the shelf for you now you get a used rebuilt tool out if bins they keep behind the counter. You will not be disappointed with the evolv as a first set and when you do get a better set do what I do and leave it in the trunk for emergancy

Old 09-24-2011, 11:25 AM
2nd Gear member

I will get the evolve one then and It should have the right socket sizes needed for working on a car right or are there other sizes that are not Included In the set that I should buy then.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:37 AM
3rd Gear Member

There's going to be a few odd ball sizes that are going to be missing. Plus the real deep sockets but I wouldnt worry about those untill you need them. Make sure you get the correct spark plug socket as well. I'm not sure if your kit comes with one or not.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear member

Well I dont wanna buy a fifty dollar kit to find out that It has one usefull socket the links for the evolve kit are above If ya wanna look then.

Quick Reply: Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.