Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear member

I like that evole kit It also seems to be reliable tools but I saw above that I should get 7-19mm sockets or something like that Is this going to have all that stuff I need or doesnt It go as low as 7mm as high as 19mm are there any tools I should get that are not Included In the kit.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

IMO there are two types of tools. China tools and non-China tool. If you are buying China tools then by all means get the China prices. China tools have gotten a lot better in the last ten years. None of them are anywhere near the Snapon, Mac type tool but when you compair HF "Pittsburg" higher end stuff ver Craftsman low end stuff thay are not far apart. Lower end Craftsman if China made stuff.

Do you have a HF around you? If so I would say grab the HF you can aford for now. If you watch HF for the best sale price and you use a (in every car magazine) 20% off coupon you can get a good deal. The pittsburg also come with a a life time warranty. If you care for the tools In a year when your ready to upgrade sell you complete set for $30 or keep them as your junk yard set.

One thing great about all tools is as long as you take care of them they are worth something. I bought a HF mig welder years ago when I got into back into body work. I had it for a year or so. Fixed some exhausts welded up some brackets but when I tried to do some body work the welder would just not give me what I needed. After using half the spool I sold the unit for $75, about $9 less then I paid for it. Now I have a lincoln and I understand why I need this grade of machine

Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear member

Another place to look for tools is yard sales, flea markets, swap meets, and estate sales. Just don't get attached to the bin of tools, set the max price you will pay and walk away once that amount is reached. We have a local auction house here in town that sells anything anyone brings in. They always have a good selection of tools. You may not have a complete set, but missing one or two sockets is not bad.

One of our long time residents recently passed and his widow put all of his tools and shop equipment into the auction. For well under $100 I got three Proto 1/2 drive socket sets (standard and metric), a box of screwdrivers (stanley and craftsman mostly), several sets of pliers, a couple of adjustable wrenches (Crescent and Proto) a set of chisels, a box of files (some are still sharp), a box of drill bits, and a couple ball peen hammers. I could have gotten a 240 volt stick welder for $50 and an old compressor for another $50. But I already have a compressor, and a Lincoln welder so I passed on those.

Look around, and you will be amazed at what you can and will find.

I used to buy Craftsman exclusively, then I started buying Snapon. I have a good selection of both brands and they are indeed nice. However, I have bought all four of my jack stands from HF, along with all of my body working hammers and dollies, lots of screw drivers, and more pliers than I know what to do with. A lot of my HF hand tools are their Pittsburgh brand, and they are very good quality for the price. I now work at HD, and their Husky brand is at least as good quality as my older Craftsman stuff. Plus, it has a lifetime warranty (just like Pittsburgh, Snapon and most Craftsman).

Follow the advice of others here. Get a set with most of the pieces you will need for basic, beginner repairs. Get the best quality that you can afford, but by no means go overboard. You are only 15 and will be collecting tools for decades. When you get older, you will have more tools than you can use. Heck, I have boxes of sockets and wrenches under my work bench that never see the light of day anymore. They are decent pieces, but I have better quality on the peg board now.

Used tools are good tools if they have been cared for and were decent quality to begin with.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
IMO there are two types of tools. China tools and non-China tool. If you are buying China tools then by all means get the China prices. China tools have gotten a lot better in the last ten years. None of them are anywhere near the Snapon, Mac type tool but when you compair HF "Pittsburg" higher end stuff ver Craftsman low end stuff thay are not far apart. Lower end Craftsman if China made stuff.

Do you have a HF around you? If so I would say grab the HF you can aford for now. If you watch HF for the best sale price and you use a (in every car magazine) 20% off coupon you can get a good deal. The pittsburg also come with a a life time warranty. If you care for the tools In a year when your ready to upgrade sell you complete set for $30 or keep them as your junk yard set.

One thing great about all tools is as long as you take care of them they are worth something. I bought a HF mig welder years ago when I got into back into body work. I had it for a year or so. Fixed some exhausts welded up some brackets but when I tried to do some body work the welder would just not give me what I needed. After using half the spool I sold the unit for $75, about $9 less then I paid for it. Now I have a lincoln and I understand why I need this grade of machine
Are you saying that the tools I found for cheap that people said were crap are pretty much the same as the quality of tools evolve. I dont want a ratchet breaking on my like a person said earlier. But I dont want cheap tools. I kinda like that set of evolve but If Its the same quality as the harbor stuff then I mise well get the harbor tools then.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Whats the difference between a drive socket; Drive deep socket set then what Is the different things like a quarter or three eights drive socket. I see that the three eights drive socket has 8-19mm which will work because above was said to get 7-19mm. But like I said are these quarter and three eights sockets going to work on a car or are there other tools that I should also get that I might want but they arnt Included In the set because I need these tools for cars then.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

I get craftsman tools at the flea market all the time then go to Sears and get them replaced... I forgot all about that... now that I think about it I prob have 5000$ worth of tools and have prob only paid like 2000$ for them

Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear member

A hammer will be the most useful tool to get for working on your car.

Actually you'd be surprised how often a hammer is needed.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:28 PM
2nd Gear member

Are there other tools or different size sockets I would want to get other then the sizes on the evo then.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

10 12 14 15 16 and 18mm is pretty much all your going to need as far as sockets (granted there are other size bolts on the car these will be most common)

Old 09-23-2011, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear member

The set should work then.

Quick Reply: Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.