Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I know we have heard from all the tool experts on how much better the Evolv tools are compaired to HF. I maintain that Evolv tools and HF tools are the same high volume crappy china made tools and if your going to buy crappy china tools your best bet is to pay the lowest price.

Check these two links out and tell me those ratchets are not made on the exact same line in the same factory.

1/2" Extendable Ratchet

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I am sure if you watch the HF one they will put in on sale for 12.99 and you can use a 20% off coupon on top of that.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-29-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Yep they look the same but I figured the evolv set would be better then hf because I heard they break alot craftsman should be better I would think about tools. Then.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

People just dont understand not every company has a China plant. Infact most do not. Running a US owned factory in China is a PIA and if you screw up you US managers can go to jail. Most companies that use China put stuff out for bid. Lowest price gets the work. In this situation the factory is making its own design and selling it with different handles to different companies. This is a very common paractice.

You buy a dewalt cutoff wheel are home depot and it will cost you a $1.19 ea. You can buy a pack of 30 at HF for 7.99. The last pack I bought 5 of the 30 disks had Dewalt Lables on them.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM
1st Gear Member

ok again i have that evolv set picked it up when i was in a jam. i then placed a 3/4 socket on it and put it on a lug then sood on the handle of the rachet to break the lug loose. so what in trying to say is its of way better quality then hf in witch i have busted tools under normal use and no evelv can not even compair to a nice set of snap on tools. my point was for the money its deff worth getting the evolv set over some hf tools. i now keep the evolv set in the trunk of my car incase of anything. i also have a 2 car garage filled with craftsmen tools and some snap on as well. gorn you posted someones review he states in his review that he is a mechanic these tools are deff not professional grade tools and i dont know one professional mechanic that would even consider buying these tools for such heavy use. point of the story the set is perfect for a kid just looking to do a little wrenching on his car.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:26 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

All China tools are made from the same cheap steel. The steel cannot be sold in the USA because it does not consistently meet any standard. There is not a huge demand for un- certified steel here. Proof? Look at the Large HF tool box. Look at its weight. Even as a Manufacturing Engineer working for a large company I cannot buy Raw steel of any size or shape for what they charge for their tool box. When I bought my box it was less than 1$ per lb. At that time the cheapest steel I could buy in the US was $1.31/lb. Since we know all the tools are made with the same steel the only variable in the manufacturing is process control, this is where China tends to fail, inconstant quality. The fact that you had an evolv tool that was good is not surprising. When all the manufacturing tooling is new and everything works right they get a decent tool. But with all manufacturing your quality rating is based on the worst case not the best case. I read one guy that complained his Evolv ratchet lasted for 3 uses.
I am not saying HF is Better the Evolv I am saying they are the same tools made in the same factory by the same people. The fact you got a good tool is moot. I am sure you are going to find more people that had bad experiences with HF tools because they have been selling them, not for 4 years but for 2 decades. China is getting better at what they do since the Evolv name is newer it may seem like they are better but the HF improved also. You might as well be telling me that a GMC ½ ton pickup is better than a Chevy ½ ton truck.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

ok gorn i agree with you but im just telling someone my personal opinion. witch is i have a hf ten min from my house and have used many of there hand tools. as well as some power tools and none of them have been what i would consider quality in the least bit. just about every hand tool broke on me with just normal use. i had 2 broken fingers to prove it. i also picked up one of there cordless impact guns that lasted about 2 months and cought fire again normal use only used it for lug nuts. when i took it back cause i had a protection plan they told me they did not have it any more because it looked to much like another gun being sold. and tryed to give me somthing that had less then half the torq and told me its that one or your pretty much SOL. while i only have had one set of evolv and yes it could very well just be the luck of the draw with them. but thats with any thing (more so with the cheaper china suff) even a gmc half ton vs a chevy half ton witch by the way are just about the same lol. i have not one good thing to say about hf because not one thing has ever lasted.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:02 PM
2nd Gear member

Its kinda making me not want to buy the evolv set but at the same time I dont have alot of money to get a hundred fifty dollar craftsman set. But If the tools are crap I guess I will end up buying another set of a decent tool anyway. Idk. Its kinda a hard decision. Idk where to look for decent craftsman tools for cheap. Idk what tools are worth so Im not sure If I am getting a deal or what lol. Then.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
I am not saying HF is Better the Evolv I am saying they are the same tools made in the same factory by the same people.
That may very well be Gorn, but the Evolv tools at Sears are covered by the same replacement guarantee as their other Craftsman tools.
Are the "same" tools at H.F. covered by the same replacement guarantee as what Sears offers?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear member

I guess I will probably get the set but look for maybe a cheap craftsman one a little before hand to see If anything looks like a nice amount.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:05 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
That may very well be Gorn, but the Evolv tools at Sears are covered by the same replacement guarantee as their other Craftsman tools.
Are the "same" tools at H.F. covered by the same replacement guarantee as what Sears offers?

I didn't think they were? I thought just the Craftsman brand had the replacement warranty????

Quick Reply: Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.