Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:08 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I know we have heard from all the tool experts on how much better the Evolv tools are compaired to HF. I maintain that Evolv tools and HF tools are the same high volume crappy china made tools and if your going to buy crappy china tools your best bet is to pay the lowest price.

Check these two links out and tell me those ratchets are not made on the exact same line in the same factory.

1/2" Extendable Ratchet

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I am sure if you watch the HF one they will put in on sale for 12.99 and you can use a 20% off coupon on top of that.
what you go on to describe is the ODM/OEM relationship

a brand which use to reflect as quality is Black and Decker. Many of their items are now just rebranded stuff which they EM.

Mr Coffee is now nothing more than an OEM of a chinese firms coffee maker

Old 10-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
I didn't think they were? I thought just the Craftsman brand had the replacement warranty????
These are Craftsman brand tools. Link to the tools, notice the Craftsman name: Craftsman Evolv 101 pc. Mechanics Tool Set

Link to the warranty: Craftsman

which reads:

8. - Evolv Hand Tools - This Craftsman Evolv hand tool is warranted against defects in material and workmanship for as long as you own it. With proof of purchase, a defective product will receive free repair or replacement. This warranty does not cover expendable parts that can wear out from normal use within the warranty period.

WARRANTY SERVICE
To obtain warranty coverage, return the product to the retailer from which it was purchased for free repair or replacement if repair is unavailable.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 AM
2nd Gear member

I saw that on the website lol.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
That may very well be Gorn, but the Evolv tools at Sears are covered by the same replacement guarantee as their other Craftsman tools.
Are the "same" tools at H.F. covered by the same replacement guarantee as what Sears offers?
Just so you know the Evolv tools "DO NOT" have the same warranty as the craftsman tools. This is a copy from Craftsman website. There are reviews from people that that were turned away with broken evolv tools because they did not have proof of purchase. As you know this is not the case with Craftsman. Also based on the wording if Sears decided you used a tool in a way it was not design for they could turn you away. Example:hammer marks on a screw driver

8. - Evolv Hand Tools This Craftsman Evolv hand tool is warranted against defects in material and workmanship for as long as you own it. With proof of purchase, a defective product will receive free repair or replacement. This warranty does not cover expendable parts that can wear out from normal use within the warranty period.
HF warranty

Lifetime Warranty on Hand Tools! We guarantee this Hand Tool to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the product. Limitations apply.
I am in no way a HF fan boy. I do not buy HF hand tools unless its something I am going to modify it or its for a one time use. I do not even like the standard Craftsman I buy the Pro series hand tools. When I see a good deal on used Snapon, Mac or SK I grab those.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-01-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ok, same but a little different! If this guy buys the Evolv tools, he will have proof of purchase as long as he doesn't lose it. Keeping it with the tool set would then make the most amount of sense. The only real difference then is the disclaimer about normal wear parts compared to the no questions asked policy. But given the big price difference, that's what you're paying for. Worn out from years of use is one thing, a wrench breaking from getting torqued on is a defect. And if I went into Sears, they would either replace it for me, or would have to immediately see a proctologist to get it surgically removed. Unless you're a pro, a cheapy set like this where it would get used every once in a while should suit you well.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:33 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Owning the tool and proof that you bought it from sears is two different things. You have to be the original purchaser of the tool. You cannot buy a used broken Evolv tool and take it in like you can Craftsman. It is not hard to find reviews from pissed off owners that lost their receits and can not get their tools replaced.

I liked Evolv until I broke the socket wrench! The no receipt- no exchange policy Sears has for these tools is "Baloney". I WILL NEVER BUY THESE OR SHOP AT SEARS AGAIN!!! Do not buy these- they are not like Craftsman! You must have your receipt to exchange them! (and keep your receipt in a place you can find it for life!!???) I'm a mechanic, not a seceratary. I've now got $150 of Evolv tools that I'm afraid to use in case they break! Buy Kobalt from Lowes for a no-hassle, no-questions asked lifetime warranty. Christmas is coming- buyer beware!!! Again- the warranty on Evolv is only valid with a receipt!!!
BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guy is a moron as a pro buying tools like that.

To the best of my knowledge HF does not require a reciet for pittsburg tools (verify before you buy!). I am not knocking Evolv tools they are what they are if you need to buy China tools just get the ones that are the cheapest. If you do not have a HF near you then they are the way to go.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-01-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:40 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
I didn't think they were? I thought just the Craftsman brand had the replacement warranty????
I think your going to find that just about all tools (sold under a name brand) have a life time warranty. Its not a big deal because most of the time it is sockets that crack. China made sockets cost pennies to make. Your going to spend 10 times more money driving to Home Depot to getting your Kobalt socket replace then Home Depot (or the OEM) will pay to replace a socket.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-01-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:19 PM
2nd Gear member

Im kinda starting to not want the set because ya guys dont think the tools will be working much so Is there another basic set that I could find for cheap like a craftsman etc I looked on there site but found a basic set for a hundred bucks Is there a better place to buy from etc.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'm not knocking the set, for occasional use I don't see a problem with them. All day, every day, as a pro mechanic would use them is a different story, and you'd want something better that will last longer. And for what it's worth, whenever I need to torque a stiff bolt or nut off, I use a breaker bar, NOT a ratchet. A lot of my tools are not Craftsman, and I've never broken a ratchet, or wrench from normal use. And I use my tools a lot as a hobby.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:09 PM
4th Gear Member

I use all Craftsman and have replaced a few tools when they broke (phillips heads) and I've had no issues. Again, I'm not a pro either.

Quick Reply: Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.