What is the easiest ways and most cost effective ways to lower my 1/4 time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:08 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by KissMyTush
hey man! There are alot of things that can change E/Ts! Sea Level Elevation, Temperature, Humidity, Track Prep, and last but not least, driver!!
LT1s have been around for some time. Most "stock" LT1 cars are running low 14s with a few running high 13s with great drivers on the right tracks. Some of the best passes ever made with a "stock" LS1 car have been in the high 12s which is extremely rare and takes a very talented driver probably in a M6 01-02 car under the right conditions just pull off that off.

With that being said we are now talking about the latter LS1 that should produce a little over 300 rwhp with no problem, NOW consider a "stock" LT1 puts down around 240 rwhp that's a big difference. Yes there are some "stock" M6 LT1 cars that have put down 260 but then again there are freak LS1 cars that have put down 320 so lets just keep it main stream with the average numbers (300rwhp LS1's running 13.2-13.4) and (245rwhp LT1's 14.0-14.2).

Location and conditions play a big roll on 1/4 times we all know this but the data being shown here has been collected from all over the states so it should give every one a good idea about the average. Some of the FASTEST "stock" LT1 cars i have ever seen have run high 13s 13.8ish if i am not mistaken so for some one to say a stock LT1 car can run 12s i would have to tell them to contact GM high tech because they have a record setting car. In fact there are guys out there running (long tubes, exhaust, and intakes) that are running in the high 13s a full second off from 12s mind you so why is this one car so special from all the other production camaro's out there.

Even a LT4 car with close to 300 rwhp would have a hard time running 12s, low 13s for sure but i still think high 12s would be a stretch.

So long story short unless thats just one freak LT1 that came from the factory with a extra 70 horses he is running more then long tubes. Most LT1 guys running the kind of times you are talking about are running (intakes, exhaust, headers, gears, tune, and sticky tires).

But hell what do i know.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^could be one of those short tracks that ford uses.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:15 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
LT1s have been around for some time. Most "stock" LT1 cars are running low 14s with a few running high 13s with great drivers on the right tracks. Some of the best passes ever made with a "stock" LS1 car have been in the high 12s which is extremely rare and takes a very talented driver probably in a M6 01-02 car under the right conditions just pull off that off.

With that being said we are now talking about the latter LS1 that should produce a little over 300 rwhp with no problem, NOW consider a "stock" LT1 puts down around 240 rwhp that's a big difference. Yes there are some "stock" M6 LT1 cars that have put down 260 but then again there are freak LS1 cars that have put down 320 so lets just keep it main stream with the average numbers (300rwhp LS1's running 13.2-13.4) and (245rwhp LT1's 14.0-14.2).

Location and conditions play a big roll on 1/4 times we all know this but the data being shown here has been collected from all over the states so it should give every one a good idea about the average. Some of the FASTEST "stock" LT1 cars i have ever seen have run high 13s 13.8ish if i am not mistaken so for some one to say a stock LT1 car can run 12s i would have to tell them to contact GM high tech because they have a record setting car. In fact there are guys out there running (long tubes, exhaust, and intakes) that are running in the high 13s a full second off from 12s mind you so why is this one car so special from all the other production camaro's out there.

Even a LT4 car with close to 300 rwhp would have a hard time running 12s, low 13s for sure but i still think high 12s would be a stretch.

So long story short unless thats just one freak LT1 that came from the factory with a extra 70 horses he is running more then long tubes. Most LT1 guys running the kind of times you are talking about are running (intakes, exhaust, headers, gears, tune, and sticky tires).

But hell what do i know.
I know where your comming from man and I agree! I was just wanting to put out there that those things make a difference you know what I mean? The fastest Stock LS1 1/4 that I have seen was a 12.60. He was on drag radials but the car was stock all the way down to the paper filter!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:47 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

That would also be a new one on me. I have never seen a stock LS1 go over 12.8 and its very hard to say what stock is any more. To me stock is paper filter, stock exhaust, tires and rims that came on the car, stock gears, and stock clutch.

Now say you have a guy trying to set a record and have the fastest stock what ever. For a 2000-2002 F-body all you would need is a good set of gears (probably 4.10s) a solid clutch, and sticky tires and your in the 12s with no problem. For some one looking at your car it may seam 100% stock but in fact there is a lot more going on under there then what it seams. It is also possible for a good tuner to pull a few extra ponies out of a LS1 even in bone stock set up. Some guys could go as far as knocking out the factory cats and then retuning the car to make it seam stock. Its also way to easy to add a set of rockers or even a small cam and still sound and act bone stock.

The point i am trying to make is that unless you know the car very well its hard to say what is truly stock or what a old owner may have done to the car or the owner before him. Most F-bodys have had 2 or 3 owners at this point. I mean hell some one could have put a hot cam and a set of LS6 heads on the car before the new owner purchased it and now you have a freak LS1.

There are also guys that will go to extremes to set records. It would be way to easy to pull a extra half second out of a LS1. As i said above (punch out the cats, gears, good clutch, sticky tires, rockers, and a good tune) could put a good driver well into the 12.5-12.7 range no problem. But thats just my 2 cents.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:13 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

saw that article once before, i loved it.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:35 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

i love that it was in a mustang magazine

Old 08-07-2010, 07:16 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

yea, i read that whole article and checked out the magazine it was in. absolutely hilarious, but also cool that they acknowledged the Camaro's ability

Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Well I personally new this car and driver! It was an 02 SS(Anniversary Edition) 100% stock but it was on drag radials. Ran a 12.60 on the 1/4. I haven't run my Z28 yet but I really want to! Lol!

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
That would also be a new one on me. I have never seen a stock LS1 go over 12.8 and its very hard to say what stock is any more. To me stock is paper filter, stock exhaust, tires and rims that came on the car, stock gears, and stock clutch.

Now say you have a guy trying to set a record and have the fastest stock what ever. For a 2000-2002 F-body all you would need is a good set of gears (probably 4.10s) a solid clutch, and sticky tires and your in the 12s with no problem. For some one looking at your car it may seam 100% stock but in fact there is a lot more going on under there then what it seams. It is also possible for a good tuner to pull a few extra ponies out of a LS1 even in bone stock set up. Some guys could go as far as knocking out the factory cats and then retuning the car to make it seam stock. Its also way to easy to add a set of rockers or even a small cam and still sound and act bone stock.

The point i am trying to make is that unless you know the car very well its hard to say what is truly stock or what a old owner may have done to the car or the owner before him. Most F-bodys have had 2 or 3 owners at this point. I mean hell some one could have put a hot cam and a set of LS6 heads on the car before the new owner purchased it and now you have a freak LS1.

There are also guys that will go to extremes to set records. It would be way to easy to pull a extra half second out of a LS1. As i said above (punch out the cats, gears, good clutch, sticky tires, rockers, and a good tune) could put a good driver well into the 12.5-12.7 range no problem. But thats just my 2 cents.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear member

That's just great! Lol!

Originally Posted by DarkKnight