What is the easiest ways and most cost effective ways to lower my 1/4 time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Default What is the easiest ways and most cost effective ways to lower my 1/4 time?

Hi, first off i wish to say im new to this place and camaros. with that said i recently bought myself a 98 z28 as a birthday gift to myself last week. i took it to New York International Raceway and put her throught the paces. she runs a solid 13.2 at bone stock. my roommate has a brand new subaru impreza wrx sti and runs over a half second quicker than me. being myself that just wont work in my book so i was wondering what is the easiest ways and cost effective ways to lower it, also i dont want to put long headers on because anyone who knows the roads in new york knows the salt destroys roads and i will bottom out for sure. so any tips or hints will be most helpful. thank you... a side note is that my Z28 is an automatic, a standard out here runs a premium out here, i dont know if that changes the way i should go about it but if it does i would like to know. thank you again

Old 06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Overdrive Member

Well a 13.2 is a respectable time. I hate to tell you this but with modern cars like the Camaro you need to be able to access the computer and change profiles for the timing and fuel management. You can do simple things like a K&N air filter, or get a CAI and get a few more ponies out of the engine. Just a note on cost to HP, you will only gain about 4-5 HP with about a $400 expense. The drop in filter is about $60 and will gain you around 3 HP, you do the math...

Rear end swap will help with the times your car prolly has the 2.73 gears in it which will kill your times, if you do get new gears make sure that you have your computer settings changed for the different ratio. This will not only effect your speedo but your shift points too.

That is the simple ways to improve your time. Good luck

Massey

Old 06-28-2010, 07:17 PM

i will def look into that. thank you very much Massey

Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Tech Droid

If all you are looking for is quick 1/4 mile times, the best bang for your money would be 4:11 or 4.56 rear end gears and the stickiest set of tires you can find. You want the engine to tickle the rev limiter as you cross the last line on the speed trap.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

cheapest way to go faster is to make the car lighter. if 1/4 mile is all you car about there is a ton of stuff you can remove to drop times. every 100lbs will gain you about .1 of a second. your spare tire and jack alone is about 50lbs. getting the car to hook is important too. pick up a set of comp engineering 3 way adj rear shocks they r cheap and work for many ppl. tires are big though you need good tires to hook. get yourself a nice cai in a gmhtp mag they tested different set ups and they all ranged from 10-20hp gains. try some mid tube headers. they will improve your hp and times. after you do a cai and exhaust get it tuned that'd put you well into the 12s.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lose weight,,, lol. 98 would take a slp induction cai like this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLE-21046/
then a good cat back exhaust that you like the sound of. \
kooks lt headers have good ground clearance and are stainless. you pay for it. maryland speed has some great prices on em and great service.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Overdrive Member

There are lots of things you can do, start reading the stickies.

If you get 304 stainless steel long tube headers (like Kooks, Stainless Works, etc.), you should be good for you NY weather, provided you wash the undercarriage regularly in the winter.

Strano lowering springs:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=113&ModelID=7

Originally Posted by tuletymeZ28
Hi, first off i wish to say im new to this place and camaros. with that said i recently bought myself a 98 z28 as a birthday gift to myself last week. i took it to New York International Raceway and put her throught the paces. she runs a solid 13.2 at bone stock. my roommate has a brand new subaru impreza wrx sti and runs over a half second quicker than me. being myself that just wont work in my book so i was wondering what is the easiest ways and cost effective ways to lower it, also i dont want to put long headers on because anyone who knows the roads in new york knows the salt destroys roads and i will bottom out for sure. so any tips or hints will be most helpful. thank you... a side note is that my Z28 is an automatic, a standard out here runs a premium out here, i dont know if that changes the way i should go about it but if it does i would like to know. thank you again

Old 06-29-2010, 12:44 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Get a slp intake, headers, high flow cat, catback exhaust, and some slicks and you should be set. and the impreza is running faster times than you because it is awd and turbo charged, so it gets max power at higher rpms.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 AM
3rd Gear Member

if you want a 1/4 mile car don't lower it the stock springs r used in the rear of 8 second cars. so unless your springs r shot id stay stock and spend money on other suspension like LCAs. on proven thing that is weight and helps transfer weight at the line is removing the front sway bar. if you drive it i would just unhook it at the track

Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 PM

the first thing i realized when takin a closer look at everything is that i need a better intake, the stock one has such a limited abilty to suck the air in to get the motor goin, i pulled the stock box and saw ther is no opening under it and theres a 1" by roughly 10-13" opening (didnt measure it but im taking a guess) thank you on the advice i will be purchasing an SLP intake kit (box lid and filter) when i get out of work tomorrow.

Quick Reply: What is the easiest ways and most cost effective ways to lower my 1/4 time?