93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

What are the best ways to add power to a 3.8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Default What are the best ways to add power to a 3.8?

I've got a 2000 3.8 5spd Camaro. I need some suggestions on what to do to it to add power and torque. Will an air intake do anything? Is there a good camshaft out there for the 3.8s? I've got Flowmaster already, but I need new exhaust soon. As far as sound, should I go with Flowmaster again, or should I go with the more expensive Magnaflow? I am thinking about getting headers to help with sound and power. Are those good ideas? What else should or can be done?

Old 02-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: What are the best ways to add power to a 3.8?

Intake does a little, so does exhaust, so does headers. Combined they work well together. Yes they make a "good" cam for the 3.8. Just depends on what you're wanting to do, and how far you want to take it. Not trying to be a ****, but if you don't know how to free up power on a car, perhaps a cam is a bit out of your league. Every car pretty much operates the same so basically you can free up power the same way on every car you own. What I mean is, a cold air intake, exhaust, and headers will free up power on just about any car. As to how much depends on the car. Sound is up to your personal preference. Try searching on the internet for Camaro parts, they are plentiful, and most aftermarket sites give you an idea of what's out there.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:25 PM

I know that all that stuff helps some, but I just didn't know if they are worth it is all. Where can I get a bad *** cam? Will I need new heads and **** too? About how much power do you guys think it would add? If i go with headers, air intake, and Magnaflow, how much power do you think that would add? If anybody has any more suggestions, I'd like to hear 'em. I'm used to working on v8s, and I just don't know if all that stuff listed above does much on only 6 cylinders. Please help me out.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

disclaimer: i've never done anything to the engine on either of my camaros. do not take what i say seriously in engine matters.

i've heard that if youre going to put in a "B.A" cam, you'll probably need some headwork done to get the true power out of the extra BANG...lifters might still be fine, but more than likely you'd need bigger rockers. they've got some stuff on this sort of in-depths v6 work at camarov6.com

lots of people either immediately say DROP A V8 IN or N2O (NITROUS=brand nammme...) and my brother has done both to his 99 mustang...put in a 2000 motor and slapped on some nitrous....feels about the same as my z28, and by the amount of work involved with each setup, n2o would be the best option but risky business if you don't do it right. i enjoy my bolt-on-ed V6 camaro quite well, and if you can't afford a v8 or its insurance, just enjoy what you have too. 3.8L put down some serious power with the appropriate funds however. put 5000 into it and you can keep up with/outrun stockv8's easily

Old 02-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: jpepper

I know that all that stuff helps some, but I just didn't know if they are worth it is all. Where can I get a bad *** cam? Will I need new heads and **** too? About how much power do you guys think it would add? If i go with headers, air intake, and Magnaflow, how much power do you think that would add? If anybody has any more suggestions, I'd like to hear 'em. I'm used to working on v8s, and I just don't know if all that stuff listed above does much on only 6 cylinders. Please help me out.
Talk with people at www.zzperformance.com or www.intense-racing.com about cams. They are pretty much the best when it comes to the 3.8. Abbott Racing Heads has some good stuff also. You won't need new heads, but they help free up the power that can be had with a new cam. For the most part when changing a cam, you will need new springs and retainers at the least. It would be a good idea to get some roller rockers, and new pushrods. You won't need bigger rockers contrary to what Peabody just said. That's ok, cause he gave a disclaimer. If you get a really big cam, a tune will definitely be needed. I'm not sure about how much power the cam and heads will yield, as I haven't done them yet. As for the bolt-ons I'm unsure also, as the dyno I did gave bunk data (only parts of the chart were plotted). http://www.abbottracingheads.com/gm3800.htmThat link shows you what aall out N/A 3.8 will do.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

if you are looking for a BADASS cam with the right badass funds, then you might as well just get new heads for it that are already built for the badass cam you want to put in, contrary to what Peabrain just said and in defense of Peabody since it looks like all three of us have done the same amount of cam and head work. like the two of us Pea brothers haev said, this forum might not be the best place to look for in depth v6 work, and other sites such as the vendors that sell the products you are looking for would be good research, and sites like camarov6.com has good reviews on certain setups that you would be interested in.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:36 PM

thanks for all the help. i think just for now that i'm only gonna go with headers, air intake, and a throtttle body spacer. i appreciate ur help guys.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:40 AM

hey man i gotta 00 3.8L automatic i have some ideas for yours i got mine down to a 9.5 in the 8th i have a magnaflow exhaust system 2 and 3/4 pipe i got for $550 brand new also a highflow converter i cut the converter out and its louder but the muffler isnt to impressive on sound definetly picked up power though im gonna try flowmaster how does yours sound? there's a good modifcation for your stock air box that does the same as a slp lid maybe better just cut out the plastic lip where air comes in the front you increase your air flow by 1/2" to about 2 inches it definetly picks up power and its free better than spending $100 or more on an intake that does the same thing. other than that thats all i have done and its way faster than a stock v6 i think someone put a chip in it before me it has no speed cutoff point. does yours cut off at a certain point?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Overdrive Member

That money you saved on your intake was spent on a high flow cat, then you gutted it? Could have saved more money and just gutted the stock cat.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:46 PM

Ya, it goes about 120mph at 3500 rpms. i shouldnt get the limiter off cause i will prolly die anyway,lol.

Quick Reply: What are the best ways to add power to a 3.8?