Starter motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
Okay, so now it sounds like you have a 5-speed. No WAY will that flywheel crack. It does now sound like a starter or starter mounting problem.

With regard to shims, the shop I go to is routinely replacing starters. I've looked at a few rebuilt ones and all were marked "NO SHIMS" right on the aluminum casting. Don't understand how that can be.
i AGREE 100%...THAY SAY DON'T SHIM BUT THEY LEAVE A FLYER IN THE BOX THAT SHOWES HOW TO SHIM.. sorry for caps...So if I shim to an 1/8" gap and It continues to hit flywheel how much more could i go???. Thats the question,and will that change the geometry enough ,so the ring gear and flex plat will play right? It is a 5 speed manual.

Last edited by surfhppy; 09-16-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by surfhppy
My termonolgy may be wrong but, I belive when the overrunning clutch goes out the bendix gear fails to move forward and just spins,That is what was going on with the first starter. All the teeth on the fly-wheel(flex plate) are in great shape...thanks
Just a FYI
Your start solenoid engages your over running clutch into the gears of your flex plate. The overrunning clutch job is to disengage the starter gear once the flexplates speed is greater than the the starters speed, which is why it is called the over running clutch. When the over running clutch fails the starter does not disengage and has to wait for the human to release the solenoid. This will destroy the teeth on the flex plate or flywheel.

There is no part of your starter that has anything to do with a bendix, Bendix is an old term from an obsolete design that has not been put into a car in 40+ years. Standard transmission cars have flywheels automatic cars have flex plates.

Once you install 20-30 starter you can hear the differents between too much clearance and not enough clearance. When the starters are too loose they have a tinny or springing sound, when they are to tight they have more of a grinding sound and they will not disengage instantly.

Addon: Anytime you see the marking "NO SHIMS" it is because in the manufacturing process is design to meet a factory requirment. This would only happen if the engine itselt was designed to meet a given assemby tolerance and the starter meets its tolerance the combind tolerance can be handled by the gear teeth. In laymen terms the OEM spent the money to build an assembly that needs no adjustment. If an after market "No Shims" start needs shims its because their rebuild process did not meet the original factory spec.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-16-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes iv seen that,,,thanks ...looks like mine.....What if i need to excide the 1/8" before the ring gear will play right with the flywheel.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Verry good info.....It helps a lot, thanks...so on my old starter the ring gear would just spin without engage the flywheel. also ,how much can i shim past the 1/8" whth the hope the ring gear well mesh with the flywheel..It all works good as long as the gear doesent tap the flywheel.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Gorn, yeah that's true, but people still lovingly refer to the gear as a bendix gear. Just like making a "Xerox" copy, even though you're using a different brand copier. Another one is the carry-over from pre smog days when the vacuum advance was hooked up to manifold vacuum, but people are still instructed to disconnect that (vacuumless) ported vac hose from the distributor when setting the timing. Some things never die.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear member

i nvr heard the term bendix gear in my life until this forum lol. i now know why. Thank you for further my knowledge everyday camaroforums