Project L36 Sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Got a spec stage 3 clutch for it, used though (all I can afford). Got the trans out, turns out that the grade 8 hardware store bolts didn't cut it. Looking for arp flywheel bolts, I'll post the part number when I get it figured out. Should be up in running in about 2 weeks, then FINALLY hit the track with the slicks and a grippy clutch.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:19 AM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

still watching this thread. car sounds good on that pull up.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by MusicMan
turns out that the grade 8 hardware store bolts didn't cut it. Looking for arp flywheel bolts,
I could have given you a heads up on that if I had known you where using hardware store bolts. Back in the day (the early 90s) when bolts where made in the US I was a manufacturing engineer that oversaw bolt production. We could not compete with sales to hardware stores. I grabed a half a dozen bolts from the local hardware store and sent thru our lab. They failed, they barly rated a grade 3. There is no testing or watching the overseas manufactures so as long as it looks like a grade 8 bolt it is sold as a grade 8 bolt.

Another thing, the way the strech bolts work is altogether different then standard bolt. If ARP makes a "flywheel" bolt then it all good. In the future if you need a real strong bolt you want to look for made in the USA "Cap Screws" and get them from an industrial supply place like MSC. This is what we use to bolt together tooling that costs more then most cars on the road and get pound in 100+ ton presses. They are held to very tight tolerances and the testing done on each batch is very detailed more so then any other bolt.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:46 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I ended up getting arp bolts, they aren't flyhwheel bolts per say, but several people are running low 12's with them in their six banger f-bodies.

It went 13.9, details here:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/general-racing-tech-88/finally-got-six-banger-13s-51715/

Old 05-29-2010, 12:46 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

So it's official, I want to keep this thing impressive. Sure you can make a small engine fast with boost, I don't want any. Plan is now to sink into the 12's NA, heads will be milled about 60 thousands, going to have an extreme cam made up, going to port another set of heads myself. Rear end will get 4.56 gears in the drum rear, with aluminum drums. I'm lovin the slicks, it'll get some hoosier 26x9's with some soft compound, my spec stage 3 clutch will get kevlar pads put on by a local company. And it'll still be a street car, heh.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sure u are. lol. did u break something yet?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

if a quest for 12's is what your after then try a L67 LIM with a sheet metal intake, and run a N* throttle body. get your custom cam and those fff headers. the good thing is nitrous wont pool up in there steve

Old 05-29-2010, 03:45 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

Ok musicman,,,, no disrespect or attept at pissing anyone off i promise.... jus wondering why you are a sixer guy? i had a 94 sixer and was gunna do all that you are,,,, but i bought my SS and ran 13.3 on street tires and a bad flywheel two weekends later,,, just wondering what the v6 motivation is,,, but its a cool build and you certainly have put in plenty of wrench time to a beautiful camaro

Old 05-29-2010, 04:17 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

watching......

Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I am a sixer guy, but remember I do drive a v8 too, though a ford

Name:  IMG_6892.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  74.8 KB

The camaro is a fun hobby, it's currently a 13 second car that gets 28mpg on the highway, with a triple digit run pegging the speedo on said 28mpg tank

And in other news, the flywheel came loose again after a ~460 mile cruise. What I've decided after much research is that the harmonic balancer I bought isn't making the cut, so it'll be getting an ATI unit. Crank needs to be repaired after the flywheel coming loose for the second time. So motor is coming out, and will go back in with thick MLS headgaskets, tube PA racing k-member, and some other stuff.

By other stuff I decided to skip NA and go straight for the boost, I have a set of FFF forward sweeping turbo headers in the mail, w/ y-pipe and down pipe. Still stewing on what turbo I want, thinking a garrett gt35 right now. Will also throw in 65# injectors. I'm hoping to go straight to the 12's with it, and slip into the high 11's eventually. I don't want to go to roll bar land. Intercooler will be masked a bit, bumper will be cut out to give it air, but it'll get a black billet grille to hide things some. Unless you're looking for it, you'll never see it.

Quick Reply: Project L36 Sleeper