Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   Project L36 Sleeper (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/project-l36-sleeper-40642/)

MusicMan 07-13-2009 01:01 PM

Project L36 Sleeper

Figure I need to start a new thread. The original is in the V6 section, but it fell apart after I changed my mind so many times. I'll try to take some pics when stuff worth looking at starts happening.

Goal: Mid-high 13's on the motor, V6 5 speed Camaro. Dry Nitrous is being planned for, I'm aiming for 12's with it. And I won't stop until I get it.

Parts so far:

Mahle Hyereutectic Pistons (stockers are eutectic)
ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts/Flywheel bolts
New Rings
New Rod/Main/Cam Bearings
Crank turned 10/10 (wouldn't polish out)
New Water Pump, Tensioner Assembly
Older (better) JP Double Roller Timing Chain kit
Brass Soft Plugs (better than stock steel ones)
Block w/ nearly perfect stock bore, de-glazed
Stock L36 Rods
Complete Felpro Engine Gasket Set
Balance Shaft removed, oil hole sealed off with a 440magnum Cam Bearing
Brand New Flywheel

Parts I need to buy:

Comp Custom Grind Cam (I'll reveal specs later, but I will say it's big)
Abbott Racing Heads Stage 2's (waiting on some late model heads for core). Will be milled for more compression.
Cometic MLS Head Gaskets, thinnest I can get.
GM Paper Timing Cover Gasket (Felpro one is prone to failure due to design)
GM L67 36# Injectors (stock for a supercharged GP, Bonny, etc.)
Rotating assembly needs to go to shop to get balanced, rods need to be machined for arp bolts.
Going to need a Spec stage 3 clutch eventually (will buy it now if my budget allows)

All in all, I've got a decent start. I had big plans for boost, but the weather this year didn't let the grass grow, so there was less hay for me to sell, so smaller budget. Also wanted to ceramic coat the pistons, can't afford that either. Yup, a redeck farmer is building a V6 camaro, what's next?

I'll post some pics later, not much to see right now since it's all just parts. Soon as the rotating assembly gets balanced, I'll assemble the short block.

craby 07-13-2009 02:37 PM

so are u shooting for the quickest 6 in the west.

z28rob18 07-13-2009 02:50 PM

sounds lik a pretty bad v6! how much spray? and for the spec clutch i got my 3+ from the the spec guy on ls1tech for a 10% discount because i order clutch and flywheel

02StanGT 07-13-2009 03:02 PM

whatcha gonna do when the tranny eats it? you know as well as i that they are weak. also i have a set of used gtp injectors at the house i'm probably not going to use anytime soon.

MusicMan 07-13-2009 05:16 PM

The tranny will croak as soon as I hit it with gas. When it does, I'll either swap in a built 4l60e (unlikely), or order a built t5 (most likely).

Spray will be a 120 shot to start, or more. The dry shot is the only way to spray these V6's thanks to our crappy intake mani design, the fuel in a wet shot pools up in there and things go boom.

Stan, how much you want for those injectors?

02StanGT 07-13-2009 05:44 PM

how bout $30 shipped? i'm in florida right now, and won't be home til wednesday.

MusicMan 07-13-2009 08:58 PM

That's not bad. I'll pm you in a week or so when I've got the cash. I just spent what I had on a used set of 15x4 center line drag wheels that I got for $75. One hell of a deal.

02StanGT 07-13-2009 11:58 PM

i got em for $50 i believe. my camaro project be put on hold for awhile. luckily the WRX is plenty fast.

z28rob18 07-14-2009 06:30 AM

idk much about the v6 cars but does the rear need to be changed? and wat suspension set up?

cplthomas 07-14-2009 07:35 AM

Sounds mean, get some pics up when you got a chance. This might even turn into a sticky if you want.
Did I miss the part about the rockers?