Project L36 Sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm aiming for roughly 450-500 horsepower to the wheels on methanol injection and race gas. Track wise I won't stop cranking the boost up until it's running healthy 11's. If I accomplish this, it'll be the fastest T5 trans equipped v6 f-body in the country.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Haha nice. I hope you can hit your goal. And definitely post results asap! I don't plan on having the quickest sixer, just a faster one. Have to keep fuel economy in mind.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

but auto is better for drag racing, so you would have that advantage, especially with boost. and music man, have you thought about how to route the heater hoses?

Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Yup, heater hose routing has long since been figured out, that was the easy part.

And actually, a stick shift has many benefits over an auto for a turbo car. Granted you need some equipment to utilize it correctly (I won't have any of this, yet). For one, only a stick turbo car can build full boost on the line, an auto will build some, but not all. If you ever see those stupid sounding rice burners at the track spitting and burping on the line, they're using a special limiter will spool the turbo up on the line. Now, granted 99% of those fruits don't understand how to use it right, but some of the fastest turbo cars in the country run a manual trans of sorts. Now in my case, I won't have the gear to do this, so it's a moot point. But don't write off the stick shift completely.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

i would love to know how to shift a stick turbo engine and keep boost or spool up boost before launching. you can power shift, buy you still lose some boost. i've watched it happen on the gauges in my truck many times.

sorry, not trying to be a pain, i am honestly curious.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

we can throw mine in it for a couple runs. lol. it would work really good with a turbo. when its tuned right at wot the rpms stay between 45 and 6.

Last edited by craby; 10-06-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 6.5 Detroit TD
i would love to know how to shift a stick turbo engine and keep boost or spool up boost before launching. you can power shift, buy you still lose some boost. i've watched it happen on the gauges in my truck many times.

sorry, not trying to be a pain, i am honestly curious.
It's out of my league frankly, this is information from a guy out here that has a 7 second TT 3rd gen. There's equipment on the market that allows you to keep full boost through the shift, and launch fully spooled. Don't ask me for specifics though, gonna have to look that up. Like I said, I won't have any of it, so I haven't bothered.

Engine is back together, should have it in tomorrow night. Bought some adapters to run a standard braided -4an line for the clutch hydraulics, plus no more restrictor, finally I'll be able to row the gears. Dropped my spec clutch off at a shop to be rebuilt, they're putting better pads on it mainly. I'm still pushing to get it down the track this season, sooo close.

Also found out today my idea of swapping on a fwd l36 fuel rail to get the same fuel pressure regulator as an l67 was a good move. A friend gave me an l67 fpr to compare, same exact part number as mine. So it'll have a boost referenced fpr now, the f-body one is prone to failure, completely different design. Still need to plug my pcv in the throttle body also, don't want to pump up the case, lol. Other than that, it's nearly ready to roll again. Didn't get the chance to re-paint my engine bay, again It's not as nice in there as I'd like it to be, ah well.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:27 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Engine is basically back together. Gotta do some more stuff yet, but I should have it in the car tomorrow night.

Name:  DSCN2394.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  111.8 KB

Old 10-09-2010, 03:52 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks good. cant see the paint anyways. lol. dr will like the pink pump. gona storm anyways so your stuck inside, may as well be turnin a wrench.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:33 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Hah, it's not actually pink, dark red (was the flash on my camera). It's anodized, and I couldn't figure out how to get the paint to stick to the dang thing. I'm just happy it'll be hidden by all the other stuff.

Quick Reply: Project L36 Sleeper