My Camaro Died

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:19 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: My Camaro Died

ORIGINAL: 95camz28

hell no i never would buy a 6 banger theres no power so i dont have to worry about doin them but an lt1 plugs are harder to do
Well, if you wanna go there then read this thread first: https://camaroforums.com/m_136530/tm.htm

Old 12-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

u want me to read this its making you look dumb they are all saying that they would rather have a v8

Old 12-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Overdrive Member

http://home.comcast.net/~grayman99/m...stall-auto.pdf

Walkthrough. Starts on page 16.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 95camz28

u want me to read this its making you look dumb they are all saying that they would rather have a v8
OK, I usually don't get on people about this stuff, but all you've done is come in and rant, you haven't even made one effort to contribute anything positive to this thread. If you're just going to **** and moan, go somewhere else...We don't need members around that don't contribute and whine while they're doing it. We're happy to have you hear as long as you contribute, but from what I've seen, all you're doing is complaining and telling people to try and not work on their cars. Take the negative attitude elsewhere.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

95camz28 your just making yourself look like a jackass. I mean common 10mins. that better be a sarcastic remark.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: 02StanGT

http://home.comcast.net/~grayman99/m...stall-auto.pdf

Walkthrough. Starts on page 16.
Wow, that's really helpful. Thanks. We'll see how everything goes.

And 95camz28 you are the one making yourself look dumb. I was trying to politely hint that you should go and discuss V6 vs V8 in a different thread. I guess you just didn't get that.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:52 PM

Whatever you do DO NOT TRY AND TAKE YOUR CAR INTO A SHOP FOR A TRANS REPAIR. Places....and I know of places that have done it to people....I used to work at this shop...owner was a total **** sucker...............alright some kid would drop off his car..........boss would say alright 1000 out the door.........the kids like alright..........then when we drop the trans get it out........the boss puts on **** the kid never needed and then here comes the final bill.........1900 dollars. Then when people cant pay for a trans rebuild or replace they have to fork over the car. Dude if ur gonna replace a trans just get a haynes manual.....pray to god you have enough mechanical experience and be prepared for rusted bolts and tight fits with wrenches......you should be alright just follow ur manual.....and good luck dude

Old 12-25-2007, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

its extremley easy, there is really nothing that you would need someone to do it for you so they can charge you an arma dn a leg to do so, first, disconnect the driveshaft, unbolt tranny mount, disconect from the block, and slowly pull it out, make sure you have a jack with a piece of wood on top of it to support the weight of the motor before even thinking about pulling the tranny out, you will only cause yourself more problems, and its just as easy to put it back in, its really not that hard, just like someone said in the above postings, get yourself a haynes manual, they can be a little pricey, but well worth it, they give you everything you need to know including pics of how to do it, good luck, keep us updated on the progress.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:41 AM
2nd Gear member

Hmm, well the GM manual makes it sound much more complicated than that. I found somebody in the local f-body association who would help me do it and then rebuild it for me. I think that's the best alternative as I will be there so I will 1) learn how to do it first hand 2) have the satisfaction of working on my car and 3) get it done cheap, and make sure than nothing unwanted is done to it 4) have professional assistance to make sure I don't screw anything up.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: g.pelka

Whatever you do DO NOT TRY AND TAKE YOUR CAR INTO A SHOP FOR A TRANS REPAIR. Places....and I know of places that have done it to people....I used to work at this shop...owner was a total **** sucker...............alright some kid would drop off his car..........boss would say alright 1000 out the door.........the kids like alright..........then when we drop the trans get it out........the boss puts on **** the kid never needed and then here comes the final bill.........1900 dollars. Then when people cant pay for a trans rebuild or replace they have to fork over the car. Dude if ur gonna replace a trans just get a haynes manual.....pray to god you have enough mechanical experience and be prepared for rusted bolts and tight fits with wrenches......you should be alright just follow ur manual.....and good luck dude
Places like that get screwed, too. If you keep your original bill and what you authorized, you can slide into and out of small-claims court with little hassle except to the shop owner. And then you get all that stuff they added for free.

The trick is to first try to get the guy to set the bill right. If he doesn't, then PAY THE BILL and GET YOUR CAR OUT OF THERE. Then go to the legal means to get your money back.

Stupid on the shop owner's part to do that.

To the OP:
Ask around about who is good with automatics. If you can find a real auto parts store, not the Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. chains, the guys at the counter are often car guys and know who is good and who isn't. Also, any local racers may know who to go to. I can bet it isn't AAMCO but someone independent.

The 700R4 is typically $1200-$1500 depending on the damage and the 4L60 should be in the same range. That is roll the car in, drive the car out pricing. Independents often speak a bit better over CASH, but that can ruin your chances for recovery in the event the guy is a bum.

If you change it yourself, you probably want a pit or a lift so you can get under there easily. However, you need to have a way to get a transmission jack under, too, as they are far too heavy to fool with by hand. These aren't like a Muncie 4 speed where you grab them and pull them out/lift them in. So be sure to have all this arranged before you get in the middle of pulling and installing a transmission.

Good luck however you go.

BTW, have you been under and looked? My first thoughts were that you dropped the drive shaft. Then I wondered if you sheared the torque converter from the flywheel. Screeching noises are not something I have ever heard when losing an automatic. Mine has just gone away, which the two indicators being the engine revs as there is no load and the car begins to slow down from coasting. Then my stomach turns inside out because I'm 100 miles from home and there is a trailer on back.