Discontinued, unfindable heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 10:37 PM
Default Discontinued, unfindable heat shield

I think I've exhausted every possibility, but I'm hoping that someone here might have a source. I'm looking for an exhaust/muffler heat shield (part# 10239715) for a 1998 base camaro v6, though it looks like the same part was used on the v8 as well. I'm finally getting it back on the road after 11 years and this is one of the last pieces I need to replace. The original shield is really rusted. I've tried googling, ebay, local dealers, auto stores, oemcats, gmpartsdirect, etc. Local junkyard finds were in equal to worse shape than mine, to be expected up here in the tundra of Buffalo.

Thanks

Old 09-09-2022, 07:41 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sorry to say but the 4th gens are in the "between" stage of their life. That means the factory has stopped supporting them and the aftermarket has yet to start supporting them for anything but wear or high demand items. It could be quiet a while before things like heat shields are available. The demand is just not high enough yet. In the case of a heat shield can it be repaired? Removing rust is not a big deal then repainting it with a heat resistant paint would be the first option. Second option would be to cut and splice pieces together then paint. You should be able to find a color that comes close to the original finish. The last option is to look at other way to shield the area. If it just blocking heat from a floor then you can put heat reflective tape on the floor.

For a permanent repair. Soak the part in Evaporust.over night. Use an acid etch primer, then spray with heat resistance paint. For a quick repair that would last for years just knock off the flaking rust. Spray on a rust converter, then acid etch and final paint. Rust converters chemically convert ferrous oxide into black oxide. Black oxide is what your Allen wrenches are coated in. The acid etch primer is the critical step that gets skipped the most, skipping it is the reason many guys think that once something starts to rust it can not be stopped.

Living in Buffalo and owning older cars you should have a way to sorting rusty parts out. In my opinion rust components are a big reason why cars rust out. In many cases looking at cars on lifts you will see a rusting part and when you follow the path of air flow you can see how the rust from that one part spread across the bottom of the car.

So when i say permanent I mean it should last as long as a new one. If you want to be sure its never an issue again paint it with heat resistant epoxy paint or heat resistance powder coating. At home powder coating cost way less then people think.

If you really want an all original one then you are going to need to head down south. They probably cost $5 in a "you pull it" lots in Texas. You could also try contacting some of the guys that are parting out cars on ebay. They may not even think about selling a heat shield. Its pretty common for those guys to buy a car. strip off the sellable parts and scrap the rest but if they have not scrapped the cars carcass you may get lucky. Although you will be paying for him to get the part off and ship it to you.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

here's a guy parting out 4th gen, crap won't let me post link. its on f-body central on facebook.

Last edited by craby; 09-09-2022 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:06 AM

Try Hawks MotorSports. I have a 1995 Camaro and have been able to find replacement parts I needed. Good Luck