Bypassing A/C in 94 3.4l

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I told................. myself I wasn't going to say I told you so! lol
Strange reaction to the tensioner, I wouldn't have expected that. The picture makes it look like there was a decent amount of deflection to the belt from the tensioner. Or was that an optical illusion?
Haha! Apparently it was an optical illusion. It did seem fine at first, but thats the results. Im not sure how that happened to the tensioner, but I can even have my girlfriend who worked with me on this vouch. It took both of my arm strength to get that thing down before we put the shorter belt on, and now she can just lean on it after we took it off. If anyone can describe how this happened, that would be awesome. Id like to know the actual physics behind the reason why.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Only thing that can make sense to me is you over-extended the spring beyond it's designed boing-back state. Kinda like how constantly jumping an off-road truck can remove the tension on the suspension springs faster than when being road driven.
Glad you at least did this test. Now we can refer others to this thread should they have the same hair-brained idea!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Only thing that can make sense to me is you over-extended the spring beyond it's designed boing-back state. Kinda like how constantly jumping an off-road truck can remove the tension on the suspension springs faster than when being road driven.
Glad you at least did this test. Now we can refer others to this thread should they have the same hair-brained idea!
Yea, I think you make a valid point there. Its just too much consistent tension. And Iim glad too. I like being taught and therefore teaching. This should be sticky, you know how much research I did and came across nothing of this idea. haha

Old 04-24-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 9434V6
Hey! I was about to post the picture up. HAHA. Anyhow, I kept all my a/c stuff since I will want it in the summer. If anyone does want to know the belt number, just message me. Ii kept the box for future reference. If you want a video showing no issues as well, I can do that. Bbut for now, here is my picture. Again, I had to take the picture on an angle, so you cant see just how much curve and tension is on it. But like I said, the angle is enough combined with the direction of spin from the torque that it will push down the tensioner and not slip.

Is there any way I can get that part number for the belt?

Old 08-12-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jaydel92
Is there any way I can get that part number for the belt?
Can I get the part number on that belt

Old 05-22-2019, 04:51 PM

Hey! I was about to post the picture up. HAHA. Anyhow, I kept all my a/c stuff since I will want it in the summer. If anyone does want to know the belt number, just message me. Ii kept the box for future reference. If you want a video showing no issues as well, I can do that. Bbut for now, here is my picture. Again, I had to take the picture on an angle, so you cant see just how much curve and tension is on it. But like I said, the angle is enough combined with the direction of spin from the torque that it will push down the tensioner and not slip.

Attachment 16233
Can you send me the information on belt number and kind i too bypassed my compressor but forgot to save package .

Old 05-22-2019, 04:55 PM

So Ive been doing A LOT of in depth research. I have found plenty of people that have thought of this idea, but not one person was successful. Everyone broke down and got an idler pulley with a no a/c serpentine belt. Apparently there was this reason and that reason not to do it. Like the tensioner wouldnt hold tension well enough, there is no point, just do it the way everyone else does it, etc.
So the idea, just get a smaller serpentine belt and bypass the A/C all together. But my thing is, its currently winter, Im not using A/C anyway. And unlike most people, Ill still keep my old serpentine belt so when summer does come along, I still will have A/C. Also, I know there is not a big difference. When the A/C is on, it makes a slightly noticeable difference in power, and when the clutch isnt engaged, there is no noticeable difference. But any strain on the engine is strain on the engine, no matter how small. And every little bit counts, and a lot of little bits, make an actual bit.
Finally, the question. Has anyone ever been successful with this or known anyone that has? Meaning, found the right size belt, have it hold tension, not slip under strain, not stretch and snap from being too small, just completely and correctly found the magical shorter serpentine belt.
Could u send info on brand n serial number for shorter belt please

Old 05-24-2019, 10:18 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

he has not been on site sense 2014. I doubt you will get a response. have you tried pm.