Bypassing A/C in 94 3.4l

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Bypassing A/C in 94 3.4l

So Ive been doing A LOT of in depth research. I have found plenty of people that have thought of this idea, but not one person was successful. Everyone broke down and got an idler pulley with a no a/c serpentine belt. Apparently there was this reason and that reason not to do it. Like the tensioner wouldnt hold tension well enough, there is no point, just do it the way everyone else does it, etc.
So the idea, just get a smaller serpentine belt and bypass the A/C all together. But my thing is, its currently winter, Im not using A/C anyway. And unlike most people, Ill still keep my old serpentine belt so when summer does come along, I still will have A/C. Also, I know there is not a big difference. When the A/C is on, it makes a slightly noticeable difference in power, and when the clutch isnt engaged, there is no noticeable difference. But any strain on the engine is strain on the engine, no matter how small. And every little bit counts, and a lot of little bits, make an actual bit.
Finally, the question. Has anyone ever been successful with this or known anyone that has? Meaning, found the right size belt, have it hold tension, not slip under strain, not stretch and snap from being too small, just completely and correctly found the magical shorter serpentine belt.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i just unplug at the compressor in the winter.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What are you hoping to gain? H.P.? You won't notice. Better gas mileage? You may hardly notice there either. Not to mention, if you do save a fraction, how many years will it take you to recoup the cost of buying another serpentine belt. Then there's the issue of not having the A/C hooked up at all. You do realize that when you have your heater set on defrost, the A/C cycles, which removes interior humidity (and dampness) from the windshield. Without it, you'll have a slower clearing windshield.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
What are you hoping to gain? H.P.? You won't notice. Better gas mileage? You may hardly notice there either. Not to mention, if you do save a fraction, how many years will it take you to recoup the cost of buying another serpentine belt. Then there's the issue of not having the A/C hooked up at all. You do realize that when you have your heater set on defrost, the A/C cycles, which removes interior humidity (and dampness) from the windshield. Without it, you'll have a slower clearing windshield.
As I said, I know any gain will not really be noticeable, but every little bit adds up no matter how small.
Also, I will keep the A/C belt with me, so when it is summer, I can just through it on. And I normally don't use the defroster actually. Rain X for the outside, then if you blast the heat and crack the windows, it clears the inside almost just as well.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9434V6
As I said, I know any gain will not really be noticeable, but every little bit adds up no matter how small.
Also, I will keep the A/C belt with me, so when it is summer, I can just through it on. And I normally don't use the defroster actually. Rain X for the outside, then if you blast the heat and crack the windows, it clears the inside almost just as well.
you avoid the question; what are you trying to gain?

Is it performance? I hope that isn't what you're hoping

Is it mpg, again, not worth the effort

So what is you are really really really hoping to gain because it won't be performance or mpg.

Truth be told, you have a 3.4; there's no hiding from that. Make it into a nice looking ride and be happy with it. if you want the happy pedal to bring a smile to your face then you are going to need to trade up to a V8.

I have 4, 6 and 8 cylinder vehicles. I drive all of them and the vehicle i like driving and riding in the most is..........................my Honda Accord and it's a 4 cylinder. Honda just does it right.

Yes I drive a Stang and yes I gave the Z to my son. Maybe I'm just getting older (quiet down you Camaro69)

When I go to a cruise night or car show the paint and wheels catch my eye followed by the interior. many times the hoods aren't even open.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
you avoid the question; what are you trying to gain?

Is it performance? I hope that isn't what you're hoping

Is it mpg, again, not worth the effort

So what is you are really really really hoping to gain because it won't be performance or mpg.

Truth be told, you have a 3.4; there's no hiding from that. Make it into a nice looking ride and be happy with it. if you want the happy pedal to bring a smile to your face then you are going to need to trade up to a V8.

I have 4, 6 and 8 cylinder vehicles. I drive all of them and the vehicle i like driving and riding in the most is..........................my Honda Accord and it's a 4 cylinder. Honda just does it right.

Yes I drive a Stang and yes I gave the Z to my son. Maybe I'm just getting older (quiet down you Camaro69)

When I go to a cruise night or car show the paint and wheels catch my eye followed by the interior. many times the hoods aren't even open.
Again you dont read. For someone that has a son that should be older and more knowledgable, you sure aren't good at much are you? When will you learn to just stop getting on posts of mine.
I did answer the question. That is, if you bothered to read.
3.4l or not, Im not making it out to be the fastest car or anything, I dont even care about straight lines. It puts a smile on my face already more than any v8 ever would.
Ive driven i4s v6s v8s v12s awd rwd fwd car truck motorcycle, you name it. My favorite car was the z24. And the only thing honda managed to do right was make a cockroach. A thing that never dies and thats all its good for.
And yes, I realize visual is a great concept for people looking at your car, but im not looking to impress people, im looking to learn new things and have fun.
Now seriously, either learn how to read, of stay away from my posts because Im sick and tired of having drama on a forum. You have a son? Well stop acting like a child yourself, and grow up. I get enough crap in my ear from my girlfriend, I dont need you too.

Geez, the last time I was on this forum, it was excellent. On it all the time, having great fun conversations, but you honestly are completely ruining it. One person can make a difference, no one ever stated whether that was a good thing or not, and clearly in this instance, its not.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Maybe I should implement things this way.
If it is so frowned upon to just put on a shorter serpentine belt, then I have 2 questions.
1. Why do people put on idler pulleys on their a/c and get a no a/c belt?
2. Why do hot rods always use shorter belts skipping the accessories?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i do it for the 1 mpg gain. at least thats what i see. and around here we only need a/c 6 days a year. lol, give or take a week.
because .01 second can get a win.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
i do it for the 1 mpg gain. at least thats what i see. and around here we only need a/c 6 days a year. lol, give or take a week.
because .01 second can get a win.
Thank you.
I would just completely remove the whole a/c system but I would actually like a/c in the summer.
Also, I do believe that any kind of less strain can give you that extra part of a second for a win. And that extra little bit of sipped gas that makes the difference of you bogging out right around the corner from the gas station and actually getting around that corner to coast down the hill to it.
Every little bit counts.
Also, its a learning experience. Something to mess with that won't do any harm to the car. And I kept my old belt, so there really isn't a problem.
Anyhow, I did find that magical belt. I did so before I even made this post and tested it even. I just wanted to see if I was the first to find it. Well at least the first out of what I could find anywhere. But the belt will skip over the a/c, hold tension, and not stretch. Perfect size, Perfect fit, the grooves all line up. Its been tested for about 50 miles already.
I have to give it to my friends at auto zone though. One guy luckily was bored enough that he was intent on helping me find the right belt. We both measured, and compared, and applied belts for about an hour. Or at least it seemed that long. Might have been only a half hour. But still, it was a fun experience.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9434V6
Again you dont read. For someone that has a son that should be older and more knowledgable, you sure aren't good at much are you? When will you learn to just stop getting on posts of mine.
I did answer the question. That is, if you bothered to read.
3.4l or not, Im not making it out to be the fastest car or anything, I dont even care about straight lines. It puts a smile on my face already more than any v8 ever would.
Ive driven i4s v6s v8s v12s awd rwd fwd car truck motorcycle, you name it. My favorite car was the z24. And the only thing honda managed to do right was make a cockroach. A thing that never dies and thats all its good for.
And yes, I realize visual is a great concept for people looking at your car, but im not looking to impress people, im looking to learn new things and have fun.
Now seriously, either learn how to read, of stay away from my posts because Im sick and tired of having drama on a forum. You have a son? Well stop acting like a child yourself, and grow up. I get enough crap in my ear from my girlfriend, I dont need you too.

Geez, the last time I was on this forum, it was excellent. On it all the time, having great fun conversations, but you honestly are completely ruining it. One person can make a difference, no one ever stated whether that was a good thing or not, and clearly in this instance, its not.

oh good grief junior

come right out and say it gosh darn it

you are looking for more performance from a 3.4 and try to skirt by saying every little something. And to attack me when frankly, it's unwarranted and silly. I again ask you to point out any incorrect answer I have given. You'd be wise to brush that chip off of your shoulder.

These forums are to help people and to discuss our mutual passion. Just because you hear what you don't want to hear does not mean it is wrong.

And about "your threads"

Frankly, I don't recall day to day if the person who created a thread is one who asks for and listens to advice or is one simply looking to affirm his false beliefs. I simply log in, and answer threads if I have any input to give.

Honestly, I'll forget your user name by the end of the day and if you create another thread on another day and I have input then I will add it.

to quote the great Sgt Hulka

Quick Reply: Bypassing A/C in 94 3.4l