anybody know anything about a hotcam kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:07 PM
2nd Gear member
Default anybody know anything about a hotcam kit?

hey so i have a basically stock Lt1 (97) and was wondering if i bought an LT4 Hot Cam Kit like what does that mean i have to do, like will i need to replace the heads on the car or just the valve springs? and since im even below a rookie (most technical thing ive done to a camaro would be taking a rear bumper off lmao) what would i need to do to take mine out/install the new one?

Old 01-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Default RE: anybody know anything about a hotcam kit?

I just put the hot cam kit in my 95 lt1. It wasn't too hard just time consuming. Took me about a week after some hold ups. The entire front end of the motor has to come off which includes radiator, ac condenser(I didn't have one on my car), waterpump, alternator, harmonic balancer, timing cover. The oil pan also has to be dropped a little bit to pull the timing cover off. The intake has to come off and take the valve covers off and the rockers.

I ran into the most problems putting the car back together. The roller rockers that they provide are a bit taller than the stock ones and don't clear the valve covers so I had to order a pair of tall valve covers and get them notched out to clear the alternator also(I got a local shop to notch out my covers. You also gotta move the AIR valves around a little bit so they fit.

The basic part of putting the cam in was pretty easy, If I had done a little more investigation it would have went a little smoother.

But if you dont have much mechanical experience it would be in your best interest not to do it and get someone else to do it

This guys site has the entire step by step of how to do it

http://shbox.com/page/index.html

Old 01-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Overdrive Member

If you don't have very much hands-on experience under the hood of your car I wouldn't recommend you doing the swap yourself. You don't have to replace the heads, just the rockers and springs. Before you get into internal engine stuff it's usually recommended that you have a good bolt-on setup (CAI and full header back exhaust) so you can actually get use out of the more aggressive cam.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm with silver. Don't do it if you're not sure you can complete it. You don't want to haveyour car stuck in pieces in your garage.