Old 09-25-2010, 10:42 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

YOu can probably find 2ohm speakers on sonicelectronix.com

Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by srbbell
Thanks guys for all of the suggestions!

Chaotic, I've thrown some Boston Acoustic components in the door up front and some BA 4 inchers in the very back hatch area. Looks like I will go with coaxials for the sail panels; I was just concerned with matching up the correct 2 ohm impedance with those speakers.

Raingler, you have definitely got me intereseted in picking up a Bazooka Tube after a little research and reading all the glowing reviews about these things. Will these connect directly to my stock Monsoon HU? As far as mounting position, where would you recommend? I know common sense would tell me to throw it down where the t-tops go, but I like to ride with them off a lot and don't want to have to disconnect the Bazooka when I do - I want to be able to hear the bass bumpin' from that sucker as I cruise down the highway! I've got the factory 12-disc changer in the little cubby area above the wheel well on the driver side, would there be enough room for it there if I take the disc changer out? Any other mounting ideas?

In particular, I've got my eyes on this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bazooka-BTA102...5469466&sr=8-5

Thanks again for all the helpful comments!
If you can hard mount it down it will give more feel to you in the car but that may be a little cumbersome if you more the T-tops often and can't just get a bag (I had one on my 3rd gen that likely would work on 4th gen T-tops too. I would lay the T-tops in the bag on the higher flat area (above the axle) or you could set in the back seat too. I used some straps and some footman mounts (I think it came with some plastic ones) but I used metal to make it mount to the floor TIGHT. Of course if you gotta load up the car it unplugged with a simple molex connector. It has Hi-level signal (and RCA too) so you can just feed signal off the factory sub signal pretty easy to do other than running the battery line. You won't be disappointed, it will make people next to you in traffic think you got a big box with 12's back there if you run the gain high. If you use some discretion and tune it to match your sound it's got pretty good sound quality too. I personally like the sound of two 8" better but bang for your buck, the 10" one you showed there is tough to beat.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:04 AM

Sweet, I definitely think that this is the route that I am going to go. I'm going into this knowing that it won't be the same as a dedicated box, sub and amp, but I am fine with that. I just want something that is small, convenient, and gives me a little more "oomph" in my bass.

I haven't yet taken my HU out, can I hook this tube up to the factory head unit and still keep all of my other speakers hooked up?

Old 09-26-2010, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Consider the 8" then, I think it fits better down in there and it you are wanting smaller and just adding some extra I think it's more than adequate. The 10" is a little "boomy" for my taste considering the car's shape lends itself to the bass effect. Yes, it can run off stock HU now and change to RCA/aftermarket later sure.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:09 AM
Overdrive Member

If you have the Monsoon system then the speakers in the rear seat pannels are indeed subs. No monsoon no sub. I had to rewire my amp to put the rear channel to the middle speakers and right now my rear channel is my sub channel but I dont have them hooked up. I have been pricing some 6.5" subs and they are like $200 a pair or more... yea I will just skip that I am not in it for sound contests, i just want a good sounding car.
The factory amp is using high level inputs from the stereo and the signal is not a clean as the aftermarket low level RCA or digital type inputs. I am using the factory amp with 4ohm speakers and a Kenwood head unit with no issues. You can put a higher impedance speaker in with no problem it is when you put a lower inpedance speaker in you start frying stuff. My future plan is to get myself a 4 channel amp and run some nice RCA's to the back of the car, put it where the Boze sub went on the older cars. I am prolly going to leave the stock wiring for the speakers since it is already there and I will not be pushing a HUGE amount of power they should work just fine. Also this gives me the options for real subs later if I want, with minimal wiring mods.

Massey

Old 09-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Raingler, did you have the double-ended 8" subs by Bazooka? If so, do you know the exact dimensions of it? I'd like to get that one but can't find the dimensions of it anywhere. I want to make sure it will fit in the upper area of the hatch in the back before I buy.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I had the two 8" passive sub tubes running off a 500W MTX amp. The tubes fit perfect end to end firing into each side wall. I'd do like was mentioned and call Crutchfield as this was a few years ago, they may have changed dimension etc.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 PM

I think I will do that. I am trying to decide which one I want between these two:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

But the listed dimensions are definitely not right for the dual 8-inch enclosure and I have seen several different dimensions listed on the web for the 10-incher. I contacted Bazooka with regards to this and am eagerly awaiting a response. As soon as I know which one will fit in the upper hatch area right behind the back seats (I think both probably will, but want to be extra-sure) I'm going to pull the trigger and order it.