1998-2002 Camaro Upper Dash Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Default 1998-2002 Camaro Upper Dash Replacement

I am trying to locate the upper dash for a 1998 Camaro. it is my understanding that all are the same from year 1998 - 2002. Please let me know if you know where I can buy one of if you have one for sale.

Installation instructions would be helpful as well.

THANKS!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 PM
I Like to Party

Your trying to locate it or buy it? lol I would figure out the factory part number and start from there. Or type in ebay '98 camaro dash' and it should be somewhere down the list. (CAUTION) When buying dash tops there is a different between a 'dash mat overlay' and a dash cap

Old 09-09-2011, 03:07 AM

I looked on ebay. Everything on there is over $250.00 plus they want $20.00 for shipping. I keep thinking there has to be somebody out there that has a wrecked car that has a upper dash that they can sell to be for much less. If is is somewhat local, will drive to get it. I had a repair shop go the GM route and came back empty handed.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 PM
I Like to Party

How much are you willing to pay? I can help you out and look around

Old 09-09-2011, 06:41 PM

Viperlohr,

By upper dash I believe that you are referring to the instrument panel upper trim panel. Here is the procedure for removing this panel:

1)Properly disable the SIR air bag system. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2) Remove the left side instrument panel insulator, as follows:
a) Remove the retainer from the instrument panel carrier.
b) Remove the insulator from the instrument panel carrier by unhooking the flange on the insulator from the side kick panel, then detaching the tab on the insulator from the retainer on the instrument panel carrier.

3) Remove the right side instrument panel insulator, as follows:
a) Remove the retainer from the boss on the heater and air conditioning module.
b) Remove the retainer from the insulator.
c) Remove the insulator from the instrument panel carrier by detaching the forward flange on the insulator from the boss on the heater and air conditioning module, then unhooking the flange on the insulator from the under the side kick panel.

The following picture illustrates the instrument panel insulator mounting:

4) Remove the window rail trim panel.

5) Remove the knee bolster and deflector.

6) Remove the instrument panel upper trim panel, as follows:
a) Remove the windshield side upper garnish moldings.
b) Remove the security indicator lamp retainer, and/or the daytime running lamp ambient light sensor grille from the upper trim panel.
c) Detach the panel from the carrier, carefully pulling up at the dual lock fasteners, then remove the panel from the vehicle.

The instrument panel upper trim panel is secured with dual lock fasteners:

Edit- You may not even HAVE to follow steps 1-5. Try starting from step #6 and if you find yourself stuck then follow the proceeding steps. It's been a while since I've removed this panel from a Camaro so bear with me

As for securing this panel, I think that it's for sale on gmpartsgiant.com.

Let me know if there is anything else you need man

Old 09-25-2011, 05:33 PM

I had a reader for the Camarozone forums contact me and refered me to a guy in Indy that had a dash. Just so happened my boss was driving through Indy last week. He picked it up for me for $75.00. Fit like a glove! TheRegulator327, helped me with the final details. I would have not known to take off the door and window trim. Big piece of the install!

Thanks to all involved, CAMMY is all fixed up.