something burning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Exclamation something burning?

ok well i have a few other posts on here but long story short i just bought a 92 rs. i was told it had a rod knock. the cars been sitting for a year or more. battery shot tires flat and broke the seal. so on and so forth. so i get the tires fixed. added a **** load of fuel injector cleaner stuff in the has tank to help do somethin with the bad gas thats been in there for who knows how long and add a few gallons of gas. jump the car and she starts (the battery sat on an industrial charger for hours and was only giving 18 cranking amps) so i got it to run!!!!!!!!! i drive it home with it running like crap and notice if i let off the gas it idels rough. get home and its smokeing some where. pretty good too. today i get a new battery for it throw it in and she fires right up! i let her idel for a good 5min while going over the car some more and it ran good. sounded good and no knock! there is a little bit of noise comming from one of the pullys but what do you expect from a car sitting so long. but shes still smokeing. i noticed theres alot of oil on the valve covers. so i dont know if its just the oil all over bunring up. or if it has a head gasket leak, i did notice the old owner has a bottle of antifreeze in the back seat wich isnt a good sign but also noticed that the coolant resivor is filled up past the hot fill line when the motor is cold. the car has 125k on it, so if this thing isnt knokcing i dont need to jump on my motor swap right away! what do you think i should do or start? "gunk" or clean the engine bay and take a hose to it sounds good to me. clean stuff up so i can see whats leaking better. also its been dark out every time iv started the car. oil change obviously. i as told i should put some "zmax" in it also? or maybe some lucus oil with it? thanks chris

Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wheres the smoke coming from? engine or exhaust? ur on the right track, clean the motor up much nicer to work on a clean motor. easier to find leaks to.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

when i got my 83 it had an 305 that did that. clean up the block and this may sound liuke a waste of time but if it comes off with three or less bolts/studs/nuts then take it off and clean it. off course the 305 had cracks in the block but it ran good after i cleaned it all up.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear member

wut color is the smoke and wut does it smell like(eletrical,oil)

Old 10-13-2009, 08:47 PM

well im getting a bad exhaust/gas smell but it doesnt soundlike there is an exhaust leak. but the smoke is a white ish. what i can tell you is im shooting somethin out of the tail pipes! it felt kinda oily and was darker in color but im not sure if it is oil. under the hood im getting a white is smoke?? (im not good with colors not joking lol) my sut is saying head gasket. but also when the car has been parked for ove a year and outside for a rew days before it was started it didnt leak anything. after i brought it to my house and have started it a few times inow have a nice puddel of oil under the car. and finally the car runs,idels fine i went to drive it up my street today and back down and by the time i made it back down my house it staledand didnt wanna startback up right away but that could be becuase i only added 2 gallons ofgas and prolly enough gas treatment and injector cleaner for 20+ gallons.lol