1991 z28 plze help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1991 z28 plze help.

"I recently bought a '91 z28 camaro (TPI 5.0L). It came without engine but had factory transmission. To make a long story short my Z28 got primed, and yesterday I lucked into buying an '87 L98 ( 5.7L TPI).

The L98 came with the full wiring harness and ecu, headers, etc."

so here is my question i need help with.
  1. How do i figure out which injector connecter, goes to which injector , i know the current wiring harness in my car is the same as the one that came with my L98 i purchased, no they're not marked or coded in anyway, and i looked at a diagram of the harness in a chiltin, and it was useless. but i know i need each one on the right injector.
  2. I know the 91 v8 tranny will hook up to my 87 L98, but i cant for the life of me find on the autozone website bolts to actually hook the bellhousing to the engine. for some reason who ever took out the engine before selling me the car didnt leave the bellhousing bolts, header bolts, or the motor mount bolts. so were can i find them (new), or what is the exact bolt size,length,thread pitch, etc.
  3. any tricks to get the t-tops to stop leaking without buying a $700 weatherstripping kit? I'm in School for Collision and refinishing, so i want to customize the roof by taking the t-top bar out of the middle, and putting a piece of lexan across the width of it, to make it semi-convertible. if that makes sense. so i just need a temporary way to stop the leak without using silicone or "gasket-in-a-tube" stuff.
Any help will be very appreciated, ive waited a long time to own a z28 project car and want "Gamorrah" running.

Last edited by SuperCharged BracketWarrior; 03-07-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: updates
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM

when you get the new engine in, the injector wiring should only be long enough to reach just past the injector it goes to. so if you have on hooked up that has a lot of slack in the wires, it most likely doesnt go there. my advice would be figure out where some of the other sensors wires go and base your judgements off of that.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Thumbs up @ z28tallcan

Originally Posted by z28tallcan
when you get the new engine in, the injector wiring should only be long enough to reach just past the injector it goes to. so if you have on hooked up that has a lot of slack in the wires, it most likely doesnt go there. my advice would be figure out where some of the other sensors wires go and base your judgements off of that.
i looked further at the harness hooked up in the car, and it looks like they come out in order out of the main bundle. so what you say makes alot of sense,lol. i just wish more people did like i do when swapping engines, and mark stuff like that with some tape and a marker, shoot, it takes like 10 seconds two right a number on tape and stick it to the wires.

i updated my questions, cause i have some more. thank you for you response. i look forward to more of your information. (this is my first camaro resto and i'm a green-horn when it comes to mechanical-side of things.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The TPI injectors are a batch fire. As long as you have the correct injector line on the correct motor bank, it won't matter. Line the harness up to all the other injectors and it should basically fall into place. And Z28TallCan is right, they connectors won't go much passed their injector. But if they're off, it won't change anything, just maybe pull on the wires.