HELP HELP please with tranny!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default HELP HELP please with tranny!!!!

Not sure why. Could my thermostat have an effect on that. I realized my car would start to heat up REALLY fast when i was just sitting. But when i was driving it was perfectly fine and went back down to normal temperature.

My car in over drive will go in first automatically just fine. But once i shift, it's not second it goes into. It goes into something that has a low idle and if i press the gas it will go to like 5000 rpm and before the car will start to move. But it's not jerky so i know it's not a lower gear. It feels as if i revv it and then i just start to catch a little power. I switched it from OD to drive and did the same thing.. I had do drive home all the way in second. Which killed me in gas btw. So could this be a thermostat problem because it started happening after it went bad yesterday.

And to be honest i don't know if this will make a difference on your input but i was drifting for hours yesterday with friends. We coned a parking lot and was there for a few hours. Started happening after just a few runs.

I really need to know how to fix this. I'm going to fix the thermostat tomorrow. So please any knowledge will be awesome!!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

now that i'm thinking about it, it could be maybe my filter being dirty/clogged? Because we were drifting and that could fling a lot of stuff around. So i think i might go take it to get it cleaned out and serviced.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Is it the thermostat? No.
Could be a couple of few things, and your drifting excursion could have "helped" it happen.
Check to make sure your TV cable is still connected to your throttle linkage and working correctly. If it's still on there, pop it off, let the cable retract, then pull it out by hand. Do you feel spring tension? If not, either it popped off inside the trans, or the TV (throttle valve) is stuck.
After the cable is reconnected, double check your adjustment to make sure it didn't slip outta whack. There is a how-to sticky here somewhere, do a search.
Another thing it could be is your governor, it could have gotten stuck.
A valve, or a check ball in the valve body could have gotten stuck as well, or a valve linkage arm could have come undone.
I would check the TV cable first, then onto the other ones which can be inspected once the pan is off during a fluid/filter change.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 02-15-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:46 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

check all the things the camaro 69 said. if nothing comes up, im betting you overheated the trans and burned up the 3/4 band or clutch pack. the way you say it revs to 5k easily, it sounds like its slipping hardcore

Old 02-20-2010, 11:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yup it's the 3/4 band... sucks but i was planning on getting a t56 in just a couple months.. just isn't fun because i was also planning on selling this tranny. But, thanks anyways guys, hope it was the throttle valve or the gov but nope of course not lol.