So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on the bonus! I was kinda hoping I would be buying a fleet of new cars today after I confirmed that I won the Powerball. I'll be sticking with what's already out there...

Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a 2000 GP GT. I bought HPTuners for it a whie ago and an Innovate Motorsports wideband O2 sensor. I can connect it to the HPT to data log and dial in the tune. I have another motor that I'm building for the GP that's the supercharged L67 and I'm waiting to get that done before I do the real tuning. I love it because you can change transmission parameters as well as the fuel injection. In the mean time, I data log and play with the tune. That project's on hold until I get the Camaro back on the road. Too many car projects! I also have a snowmobile that I need to put new pistons in but that has to wait too. the Camaro is priority 1 right now.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 AM
Overdrive Member

Well I pulled the trigger tonight while at work. I agonized for days about what I should pick up for the car. New seats, save for a new tranny, EFI a LS 5.3. All except the tranny were a click away. Then I looked at TKO's again. They went up since the last time I was drooling and saving triple what I had was gonna take too long. I knew something would hit my wallet first. So I did it.

I got the Megasquirt 3 and all the add ons (3X expansion) to build this thing the way I want in the future as well as the way I'm set up for now. The wiring, the little DIY stimulator that you build to test your work. I even popped for a sticker and a tee shirt.

I'm amazed I didn't get the normal buyers remorse I get when I spend money on stuff I dont need. So its on its way. I have to pick up a new soldering iron because the 3 or so elcheapos I have arent much more than glorified wood burners.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
Congrats on the bonus! I was kinda hoping I would be buying a fleet of new cars today after I confirmed that I won the Powerball. I'll be sticking with what's already out there...
LOL Thats funny right there.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

Congrats again! It sounds like you've planned it out well and hopefully the remorse stays away. With what you're saying, the MSIII is the self-bought gift that'll keep on giving for years!

I keep visiting Monster's website looking at their tranny setups and wishing I could just buy one already built for me but dang.... With those prices I'll be teaching myself how to rebuild the TH350(s) sitting in the garage. The trans is toward the bottom of the list still so hopefully something good will happen (in the stock market) and I can get a new one.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
Congrats again! It sounds like you've planned it out well and hopefully the remorse stays away. With what you're saying, the MSIII is the self-bought gift that'll keep on giving for years!

I keep visiting Monster's website looking at their tranny setups and wishing I could just buy one already built for me but dang.... With those prices I'll be teaching myself how to rebuild the TH350(s) sitting in the garage. The trans is toward the bottom of the list still so hopefully something good will happen (in the stock market) and I can get a new one.
Not sure how things are near you, but TH350's are on craigslist all the time for cheap prices here! I ended up getting a TH350 with new rebuild kit, manual competition kit, new torque converter, and the driveline thrown in for $200. It's been in my gasser for nearly two years.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yes they are Vall, I already bought one off of CL. Probably the biggest mistake I've made concerning this Camaro build. I paid too much money $175 for another TH350 with a "shift kit" in a bout of complete ignorance. I have no idea if the trans has a shift kit or not letalone anything else done to it. Don't really know what I was thinking when I made that move. I could certainly throw it in the Camaro and hope for the best but I'm not going to keep adding to the list of mistakes I already made.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:06 AM
Overdrive Member

My buddy with the LS ram bought a Monster 700r4. when he gets that together I will let you know how it works. As for rebuilding one. I am gonna try it once in my life thats for sure. I kind of want to do my ST10 so I can sell it. I could almost finance a TKO600 with it.

I printed the "Mega Manual" at work today. Holy Santa Clause chit! I hope they dont track the printers. Its over 200 pages and I skipped the introduction and how to purchase sections. It literally is 2" thick. I have read it before online but wanted a hard copy for reference.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd toss that TH350 in the Camaro and try it. What's the worst that could happen? Might have to pull it if it's not as described, but it's worth the effort I think. I had the same questions when I bought mine, but figured I'd give it a shot. At $175 your's is not much more than what a good core would cost anyway.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 AM
3rd Gear Member

While I agree with you Vall, I really don't want to chance having to pull things back apart when I could've done it "right" the first time. Apolgies if my prior post came acrossed as harsh. Just thinking about that F-up makes my fluid boil! I had a perfectly fine working TH350 in the Camaro when I bought this other one. That particular day I was all about trying to save "time and money" and his story about the trans was compelling. It even had a shiny new $3 modulator on it! LOL This is gonna sound ignorant to many but I bought a DVD from a guy that builds these for a living and he goes step by step on teardown, inspection and install of a Transgo shiftkit/valvebody reprogramming kit as well as an absolutely complete rebuild of ALL the internals. I can call and talk to him if I run into trouble and ask questions too. I figure I've got two trannys now so I might as well learn on one of them! Lastly, I have a neighbor who builds trannys also that offered to help anytime if I need him.

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)