So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 03:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Its actually **** poor compaired to my buddies at work. I work with multiple "row of coins" guys. The laser welder is god. This guy can maintain a bead .010" wide through a microscope in a circle. Thats right a 1.5" diameter circle .010" wide. Its is a trip. Lasers are cool too. I am not allowed to pik it up and play like a am with the TIG. The TIG was over 10g I can't even guess what the laser is. I don't even know where it is. There is a skunk works department at work that requires that you be "in" to get in the door. My key to the building wont open the door.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
The truck has manifolds and a single exhaust. I'm pretty sure the studs will break when I try an pull it to drill the hole. The bung will have a plug in it when I'm done though. I'm with you on that. I make buy another bung for the other side of the Camaro so I can read both. Curiosity drives that move though. I need to make up my mind before I wrap the headers though. The bungs are cheap but the cost to ship it is the same as the part. I believe Summit has a handling charge of somewhere around $10. I will need to save up again and get a few other things to make that a better deal.
Summit doesn't have any minimum handling charge. I've gotten small parts from them for as little as $3. shipping.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Overdrive Member

Couldn't remember if it was Summit or Competition Products. I swore off Summit for years and am now getting to order from them more. Comp always seemed to get parts here faster. But had 11 dollar handling fee. They are both the same distance from me though.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

I've been on Summit's "frequent flyer" program for a little over a year now and every single time I've ordered from them (37 times to be exact) the part has made it to my doorstep in 2 business days. I have yet to see less than $4.95 for handling (even on a pushrod length checker and an fittings.) However, lately they're doing free shipping on a lot of stuff, I paid nothing but the actual price for my last 2 orders. I like the fact that you can order late in the day and still get same day shipping also.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:50 AM
Overdrive Member

I figured I'd keep my thread alive. I have the car in coming out of the garage this weekend to remove a wall that makes my work shop in the back. I just can't afford the space for the wall now. I kind of hate walking around it to get to my tools. Plus the wall has shelves 10' high and two feet off the wall. 16' long. Thats a lot of room. I'll pull the shelves down and move them to the basement and restock my car on them. Right now the every piece from the car is on those, so I will clean up and organize at the same time. Than with the extra room I can rearrange my compressor and parts washer. I have a floor model drill press I want to put in as well. After that its a set of shocks on the Jeep and a new belt on my Grand Prix.

Hopefully I can work on the stroker after that. I ordered a RPM Air Gap for it. I need to go through it for peace of mind. I built it over five years ago even though it has little run time. I just wan to double check my work and fix a leaky rear main. Plus the iron dust in my water jackets. I hope to get all this done in three days. Oh yeah I raked my leaves in a pile three weeks ago and have to pick those up.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

That sounds like a lot of shelves. I was just looking at the shelves in my garage the other day. It'll be eating up a whole day organizing them for sure! Got new parts mixed in with old parts along with car stereo stuff, next to hunting stuff, right by the ice skates and snowball makers, above the car ramps but below the boxed up oe intakes for the Cadillac and truck and right on top of the model train kit. Did I say one whole day to clean up? I meant week...

I'll be honest and say that I'm a bit surprised that you're building/using a stroker engine and not one of the newer LS_ setups that so many others are doing these days. I've got nothing against them, and I understand why so many are going that route but I'm glad to see you're not. Just kinda assumed with the way you're building your skid that it would have never powerplant technology under the hood.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I need a major cleanup in my garage too! With winter here I've got the Austin gasser torn apart redoing the interior and tinting the windows. The garage looks like a tornado hit it, and I'm stumbling over crap. I need to take a day and roll the car out, so I can really clean and organize!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Overdrive Member

I want a LS in a bad way. I really want a turbo 5.3 really. I am reading about a kid over in PA who tossed JY 5.3's w/ a ebay turbo in his Fairmont four door. The motors are stock minus a ZR1 camshaft. He is making 700+ whp. The car is in the 9's for $3500. It is also the sloppiest messiest install ever. The stroker has been around for a long time and I need to run it. I can't see building may car again. I want to drive before a engine swap. I have considered putting the stroker in one of my trucks though. My 86 2wd shortie is still at dads in the garage and starting to rust. But it is ready to drive with a motor and tranny.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:16 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to have something like that. I'm nowhere close to having the know-how to do something like that though. Just can't help but remember a time, not that long ago, when American muscle was a naturally aspirated (carbed), big cammed, domed pistoned, double humped "beast" that didn't need a turbo. Sure there were blowers but not the twin turbo (and more) "LS du jour" stuff that is ALL you see going into these insanely powerful "monsters" nowadays. I know techonology has blessed us with these setups and again, I'm certainly not knocking them as I would give anything to have something like that! I'm trying to get 400+ hp out of my 327 and that used to be an insane amount of power, not long ago! Actually, I'm quite envious of you if you've got a shortbox Chevy that you could use for the stroker. If I was closer to having the Camaro done that's what I'd be looking for. I can understand wanting to get some use out of that engine if it's never been unleashed. Something tells me that we'll be seeing a new project thread at some point for that LS build though. Just please make sure your posts are very detail specific so I can learn something! LOL

Old 11-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to have something like that. I'm nowhere close to having the know-how to do something like that though. Just can't help but remember a time, not that long ago, when American muscle was a naturally aspirated (carbed), big cammed, domed pistoned, double humped "beast" that didn't need a turbo. Sure there were blowers but not the twin turbo (and more) "LS du jour" stuff that is ALL you see going into these insanely powerful "monsters" nowadays. I know techonology has blessed us with these setups and again, I'm certainly not knocking them as I would give anything to have something like that! I'm trying to get 400+ hp out of my 327 and that used to be an insane amount of power, not long ago! Actually, I'm quite envious of you if you've got a shortbox Chevy that you could use for the stroker. If I was closer to having the Camaro done that's what I'd be looking for. I can understand wanting to get some use out of that engine if it's never been unleashed. Something tells me that we'll be seeing a new project thread at some point for that LS build though. Just please make sure your posts are very detail specific so I can learn something! LOL
You can still have plenty of power with an LS swap, and not have to go turbos or even a computer and injection. There are numerous shops building LS engines, or rebuilding them, and they are putting distributors, intakes, and carbs on them. They can easily get close to 500hp without pushing them, and more with a little work.
If I built another hotrod I am seriously considering doing a carbed LS motor in it just for fun!

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)