The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

In case you guys forgot what a subframe looks like....

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2336.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2337.jpg  
Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Overdrive Member

Mine has been out three times in the last two years. Not gonna forget soon. The frame thing is how my finger got the way it did. I was working on a hilo at work and the fork that I was trying to wiggle on fell off from about 6-12". It hit just the tips of my middle and ring finger. I still don't have full nails. Cant feel the print side of the middle one anymore. Thats bugging me because I need the feeling to spin bolts at work. The worst is i can still hear the thing ring like a tuning fork. My fingers didn't offer enough resistance to even dampen the sound. LOL

Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 AM
3rd Gear Member

That reminded me, shoot, was gonna ask how the fingers are healing up? Apologies. It really is amazing how much pain is able to generate out of the end of a finger eh? I was quite lucky yesterday, even though I really can't use my hand much today, the frame landed on the palm side of my hand and slammed it to the concrete where the bottom knuckle of my middle finger attaches to my hand. Couldn't make a fist today if I had to, but still thankful it wasn't my finger tips. There's always a good that comes with a bad though, this gets me out of peeling potatoe's for dinner tomorrow! I'm a thankful guy.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:36 AM
Overdrive Member

LOL The finger is good. The swelling wont go down. Not sure if it ever will. There is a ton of scare tissue on the print side so its rock hard all the time. Drives me nuts but at the same time its like a built in worry stone. Really, I have found myself in a mangers meeting catching hel and rubbing it with my thumb. Weird huh?

Old 11-22-2012, 09:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

That doesn't sound very ideal for the work that you said you do. Hopefully with more time it'll get back closer to normal. Sounds like you might have a built in tool however, kinda like a 120 grit appendage? LOL Wonder if that sucker will remove undercoating?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Overdrive Member

That put a smile on my face thanks. Its not rough at all. Its all new skin, just rock hard.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

Couldn't even imagine how painful that must've been. I do hope time is helpful and you can get some halfway decent functionality back. Chicks dig scars though!

I had a surprise in the garage today when I got sick of listening to all the "blah blah blah's" waiting for dinner to finish cooking. Apparantly I must've nicked the fuel line when I pulled the subframe out. I'm guessing a gallon or so steadily dripped all over the floor and was still going steady when I discovered it. Can't find a crack or hole but could actually hear the air/vaccum/siphon in the line when I lifted it up? I literally lifted the line up no more than 2" and it stopped leaking. Not concered about the line as I was going to mess with them anyway and get the return line removed and still need to confirm what the line is on the other side that certainly appears to go to the tank. Must be the charcoal can line like mentioned before but I'll say it again, it was connected to the cruise! Don't know why I'm so bummed about this as the tank needs to be dropped so I can get everything sanded/painted. Serious fumes in that garage, hoping the Cadillac won't have any lasting smells as it's in there with a window down.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Overdrive Member

If the line is lower than the tank it will siphon. The cap may be vented too. The charcoal canister line runs down the passenger side next to the brake lines. That could cause the siphon too.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

I had the end of the line crimped with some vise grips so it wouldn't leak. Must've done something when I pulled the subframe out. I've got two lines on the pass. side. One went to the pump and the other was blocked off with a bolt in the end. Thought that was a return line but maybe that one was the line to the charcoal can? On the driver side I have the brake line and another metal line that had a piece of hose on it and went to the cruise but seems to go back toward the tank? I'll get them figured out.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Overdrive Member

The two on the passenger side are supply and return. The drivers side is the charcoal/vent line. It goes back to the tank, turns to rubber and then back to metal and wraps around the tank if I'm thinking clear.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build