The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you know what kind of engine vacuum you have now? Usually need at least 12 inches at idle to make most brake boosters work. Some people use an auxillary vacuum reservoir to give more volume, and it works. I tried one with my engine on the Austin though, and had no luck.
I wouldn't get anything until you figure out what your engine vacuum is, and then I'd go with something basic and not exotic. Just make sure the diameter is small enough to clear the valve covers you're using. I see a lot of guys going to the Corvette master/booster on many hotrods. Not sure how they mate up, but with so many used they must be pretty universal.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

Have no idea Vall, I'm swapping out the 350 for this 327 but it's not really even close to being installed. Really wanted to have the steering/brakes/suspension done before the install. Don't want to hope and pray so I might have to change up plans. I've somewhat been ready to need a reservoir from what I've heard but don't really want to unless necessary. Found a sweet deal on a 9" universal kit with booster/master/prop. valve that uses standard GM spacing, that's why I was asking. IF they do what is claimed and stop better than oe I should be on the right track. Not sure what else to do really.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Overdrive Member

It sounds like a pretty aggressive cam. I too would wait to see what kind of vacuum the engine makes.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

Success! Finally got the brake booster off the firewall. Ended up getting really irritated and busted out the grinder to cut the bolt down so I could try and fit a socket in there. The nut broke free right after I cut the bolt, go figure. Got the steering gear box out, the bolts look they're in great shape still Damon. Couldn't get the pitman arm off the center link so it's time to invest in some pickle forks. Gonna need 'em anyway for the rest of the suspension. At least I can finish the firewall now!

With respect to measuring vaccum for the brakes, I guess my question now is what if it's really low? Are the smaller boosters better than the OE stuff or the other way around?

Gotta look behind the dorks to see the progress this time.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2308.jpg  
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Overdrive Member

LOL Cue Shameless photo of children.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

LOL, and oh so presentable kids too. This was a celebratory pose for finally getting the booster out. You'd think my kids had never seen a camera before. I had my son taking pictures of the firewall etc. for me (big mistake) while I was trying to work. His finger is over the lense in EVERY SINGLE picture! So I finish up and try to take a pic or two myself and there they are, bed head still kickin'. What do you think happens next? Yep, the battery dies in the camera.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the electrolysis video post! That looks like a great way to do it and easily manageable. Little tricks like that will save a lot of time and aggravation!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The heat cutting the bolt off is what made the nut let go. I have a big old soldering iron that was my dad's and if I can't use my torches to warm a stuck nut, I put the iron on it and it usually gets it loose. I heat, then spray penetrant, and repeat until they let go.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

I figured it must've been the vibration with the heat that got it started for me. I had already heated it a couple times with a torch and didn't get it to break loose. Can't really get much leverage on that bottom nut with just a wrench.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:14 AM
Overdrive Member

I sometimes for get about these kind of issues. My car came disassembled. So I haven't had and hard core stuck bolts.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build