The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 AM
2nd Gear member

Just an FYI i managed to use the pitman arm puller to get the pitman arm off of the centerlink. Pickleforks would bust it loose. You gotta hold your mouth just right to make it work but it will work.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad you finally got the brake booster nuts off. It was a chore on mine for sure. I bought a set of ratcheting wrenches from Sears along with a short set I borrowed from a friend at work. That got three of them off but the lower one by the motor was stubborn. I ended up having to lay a piece of carpet over my motor and lay out over it. I sprayed it with penetrant but that wasn't enough. I couldn't get any heat on it either. I took a small cutting disk on my Dremmel and cut a notch into the nut. Then I had to use a chisel and a 2 lb hammer. It finally broke loose.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

It's been really surprising how easy everything has come apart on this car, with the exception of that one nut. Even the REALLY rusty rag joint came right apart. I had wire wheeled as much as I could around the booster and got the two nuts toward the pass. side cleaned up really well before trying to remove them. They came out without much effort at all. The other side couldn't be reached and there's where the trouble was. It's kind of an awkward spot to get much leverage but they're out. I've got ratcheting wrenches on my Christmas list for sure! Got it all planned out - I'll take the kids to the store and point out the set I want, give them the money and then turn my head so it'll be a surprise on Christmas. Good plan eh?

It was a toss up between the puller kit or pickle fork kit and since I'm replacing this stuff anyway, I decided on the forks. Should be here on Thursday and I can get back at it. I want the subframe off the body by this weekend so I can get busy tearing it down. It's times like this that I hate being at the mercy of when I can get some buddies over here to help with the body mount bolts. I'm a little leary of trying to tackle those myself (insert sound of bionics from 6 mil. dollar man) pretty sure I'll need help. Hope it works out because I'm itchin' to get at that stuff!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:46 AM
3rd Gear Member

Anyone remember what size the body mount bolts are? Might need a bigger socket.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Not positive, but I think they were 1/2", so most likely a 3/4" socket.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

Oh nice, hope you're right, maybe I won't have to buy any more tools this week! Appreciate it Vall.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ended up being 15/16, which saved me a trip to the store. I actually got the two bolts out by the firewall myself today, good deal there. My pickle fork kit arrived today and has 3 different sizes of fork in the kit. Just my luck but the 1 1/8" fork came without threads in it to screw it onto the handle! Before I boxed it back up to send back I did use the 15/16 fork and popped the pitman arm right off the center link, so that's done now too. Two bolts to go and the subframe is free!

Have another question though- kinda off topic but I have to wonder what the second metal line is going down the driver side of the car with the brake line? If I remember correctly, this was connected to the cruise with a piece of vaccum hose. Doesn't have fittings like the brake lines. Couldn't crawl underneath to see where it ended up. Any ideas?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

That should be the vent tube from the fuel tank to the evap charcoal canister. It is on my 77.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

Interesting. This car didn't have a canister in it when I bought it. Not sure what's up with it. It was connected by a piece of rubber hose that went to the cruise module on the inner fender. I had assumed that it went to the trans when I was removing the cruise earlier this fall. I didn't realize it until today that the steel line was still there yet the trans has been removed already.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

It certainly appears that you're correct exlimey, that tube goes to the gas tank. I really don't understand that thing, I'm positive it was connected to the cruise module as I had just removed it a couple weeks before I started tearing everything apart. Why ask why I guess. It's comin' outta there. Anyway, got tired of waiting for help and I did manage to get the subframe removed today, just in time for my relatively new grinder to crap out. I swear (literally too) my timing for these things is second to none. Oh well, didn't have my thinking cap on today and spent too much time making sure the body was on the jack stands and didn't think about the subframe dropping down with the last bolt coming out. It landed and sandwiched my hand between that and the concrete. Black (and blue) friday came early for me this year. That smoothness will give me a few days to de-swell my hand and get out to get a new grinder. I'll take the good with the bad and still call it progress! Happy Thanksgiving one and all! I'm thankful for Camaro's, blondes, brunette's, some redheads and breaker bars - sometimes all at the same time .

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build