The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Overdrive Member

Actually let me look. I got a new one from PTFB when I got my suspension. A cheaper alternative is to rebuild yours with the HELP section parts at the Zone. Just grind the rivits off and bolt the new pieces in. After a soak in molasses that is.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

I honestly didn't know that you could rebuild them. I haven't thrown anything away from this Camaro but not even sure where I put the rag joint I took off? I'm sure it's out there somewhere. It was just so rusty (worst part on the car so far) that I didn't expect to reuse it. That's a hard part to buy new, like others, way too expensive for what you get.

Funny thing about the molasses couldron. I looked at the solution the other day and my first thought was that the kids had thrown a bunch of paper in there for some reason? After closer inspection, it wasn't paper but looked more like a white fleece sweater to keep warm! Hadn't stirred it in a while and it's a bit moldy. LOL The sweater came out in one piece and it looks good as new now, ready for a rag joint I guess. I was surprised that it hadn't started to freeze yet??

Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Hope you find it! The kit is under $20, but a new joint is over $100! If you can't find it I'd hit the CL ads and see if someone is parting out a GM vehicle from '73-'91, as all those used the same joint, and you might find one super cheap if you remove it yourself.
Borgeson 000941 Borgeson Rubber ''Rag Joint'' Steering Couplers

Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

I found the old rag joint, it's still attached to the steering gear! LOL I might get the kit like you mentioned but Rockauto has them for less than $50 so might just go that route.

Got my bushing kit today, never knew little red pieces of plastic/poly could be so exciting! It's the little things...

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2481.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Only problem I've had with RockAuto was extremely high shipping costs! I ordered three brake parts for my gasser when I was building the E brake setup, and they drop shipped all three from different locations. It cost me $21 S&H for $28 worth of parts! I could have purchased the parts locally for the same price, so I didn't lose any money, but I had to wait and not save any either!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Overdrive Member

Here's a secret. If you find parts that are life time warranty on Rock auto. Autozone will price match.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

I agree shipping can get costly, but considering the savings compared to local parts stores, it's still got 'em beat by almost 50% with the shipping. I almost enjoy comparing prices to the autoparts stores to see how much I would've wasted. It's absolutely sickening. I'm all about buying local when I can but I refuse to single-handidly fund the owners retirement. That's a good deal for Autozone too! Problem there is that there isn't an Autozone anywhere near me. Actually, there might be one in ******* but that's still almost an hour away. Might be worth it though if there is something I need right away. The price match is only on lifetime warranty stuff you're saying? I do like Rockauto, another tip is to call them before you place an online order and nicely complain about shipping costs if you're only ordering something small/inexpensive. 2 out of 3 times I've done that they've shipped for free! It's all about planning...lol. I'm going to put up a couple pics of the rag joint sometime, it's not as bad looking as I thought. Wouldn't mind an opinion or two. Pretty much positive I'll rebuild/replace but not sure what goes into rebuilding them so I might have a couple questions.

The stock market has finally been cooperating a bit lately so I took a little profit and got to order some more parts. Have the front end rebuild kit (balljoints/tie rods/sleeves/center link/idler arm) Eibach ProKit springs, steel motor mounts and a new steering geaboxr on the way. I think if I can accumulate most of the parts needed to put the front end back together that'll light a fire under me and get me out to the garage to get busy again. Just now starting to be a bit more mobile after wiping out on the ice but having a hard time getting motivated to turn the heater on in the garage. Hoping to have some update pics next week sometime on progress.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Overdrive Member

The rag joint will be the easiest thing you do all winter. Grind the two rivets off. The rag part comes off and the new goes in with bolts instead of rivets.

The best motivation ever is a giant pile of new parts.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'll trade hours of labor rebuilding anything on the car if it saves me money to buy more parts! It's not even a question in my mind, unless the savings for a new or rebuilt part is so close to rebuilding myself.
Small items like wheel cylinders or master cylinders are so reasonable now that I've stopped rebuilding them. I can buy wheel cylinders for $5-$6 ea. and the kits are a couple dollars, but you've still got a used rebuilt cylinder. Masters are under $20 for common Chevys, so not worth rebuilding a used one to me.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Overdrive Member

Calipers are a good rebuild. I have yet to do one but the cost is there. A couple bucks for some seals and time.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build