The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 04:31 AM
Overdrive Member

Tim you still out there? Those heads done yet? I havent checked back on Tony's site lately.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'm still "out there" alright lol! Good timing Damon, I'm heading down to TN the end of the week to pick up the heads/intake. I'm not going to start running off at the mouth just yet but in total honesty, I'm a little worried. There hasn't been a promise kept at this point. The heads have hardly been touched and I got a message saying how this was going to "test the boundaries of his limits" in getting them done in time. He's only had them for 112 days so why would I think they'd be done? I'll leave it at that for now, but there's lots more that have me worried/upset about this whole situation. More to follow I'm sure, just hoping this doesn't end badly like I'm beginning to think it will!

Just realized that I never posted pics of the finished trans either. Finally got that done and the clearances are perfect! Had a few issues but I stuck to it and got it finished. Can't wait to feel it in action (along with the engine, suspension, brakes etc) but I'm confident it'll work great! The pump was binding up on the stator bushings/input shaft at first and I couldn't get any endplay clearance but now Total endplay is .012" - spot on. I put up a couple pics but they look the same as any other TH350 out there. Mine is painted the same color as the block will be and that's the color the car will be when it's finally painted.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Overdrive Member

Congrats on the trans build. I have a old TH350 in the garage that needs it so stop in and whip me out a build. LOL You can use my kitchen table if your more comfortable there.

I am sooo sorry to here about your heads man. I looked at his you tube page after asking this morning. I noticed there is a ton of LT1 stuff and noting on the three way shoot out. I instantly got mad for you. It was a gut feeling I had that said dont mail your heads to "Uncle Jessie." I hope it goes the correct way for you. Even if they dont make it into a video. He could just do the work and send them back. I got the whole I have to make a script and do this and that story. That scared me off I think. Too many promises. He does do good work from what I see. The best of luck buddy.

PM me if you need me to rustle up the militia to go down and have a talk with him.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate it man, the trans build was VERY enjoyable, even though I had my fair share of hiccups doing it. If I had everything needed at ONE TIME to do a rebuild, i'm pretty positive I could do it blindfolded now! All my clearances couldn't have ended up better, the valvebody reprogramming kit was the easiest part and I learned all the cool tricks to do to make it shift like a rockstar. Can't wait to do the other one in the garage (just hope I don't NEED to do it.)

The situation with my heads is looking pretty grim right now, I'm not even sure if they'll be done when I get there, which will leave me (and my kids) stuck down there with all hell breaking loose and big problems for both of us. I'm trying real hard to not come un-glued until after I get the heads/intake, just too much uncertainty about what would happen if I snap before then. I've been through enough waiting and wondering for this to start now that I'm ready to pick the stuff up. Just love how all this stuff happens 3 days before I'm supposed to be there to get them. I'll add it to the list of nightmares I've dealt with trying to build this Camaro!

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 04-02-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

Here's a couple pics of the trans just about finished up.

I'll tell you what, having that trans inside like that (for so long) ended up being a really cool hassle. The fact that the kids can now identify almost every part of a TH350 and tell you where it goes is pretty cool in itself. An unintentional benefit that I'll take over eating dinner at the table any day (or dayssss.) The color of the trans is pretty close to what I'll be doing the body also.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2692.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2693.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Seems your head guy is very wise on heads and making videos, but not sure how he makes any money without getting some heads out the door. Any chance you can just give him a call before heading south to see if they are really ready before heading out?
The trans looks and sounds great!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

I agree 100% Vall. I've got the money ready to be handed to him if I could just go get the heads/intake. They have been sitting at his place since 12/20/12. I've been trying to communicate as much as possible with him but it's hard to solidify much through email only. I've been promised a call on Wednesday evening. I was originally supposed to head down on Thursday morning and that got bumped to Friday. As of last night I got another email saying that the heads won't be done until Saturday evening! I'm just worried what kind of job I'm going to get if he's this rushed to get them completed? That fact alone is what has me so worried about this now. Gotta just hope and pray that things work out properly. I will be so glad when this whole thing is over with! Ultimately, I would still like to be able to give the guy rave reviews and truly hope that's still a possibility.
Thanks for the nice compliment on the trans also sir!

Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
In case you guys forgot what a subframe looks like....
I'm a newbie catching up here. Good pictures and write-ups. I've had a good look at the underside of my 2010 and it amazes me that there isn't more to connect the sub frames in our cars.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

I agree with you Uncle Bob, sometimes it amazes me that there's only a handful of bolts that keep the frame from driving off and the body staying put. I'm sure you're aware but subframe connectors are a big help and pretty much mandatory if you're running with a decent amount of power/torque. I haven't got my frame connectors yet but they're next on the list for when I'm ready to reinstall the front subframe. Appreciate the compliment also sir! Welcome to the forums! Beautiful skid you've got there!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Sometimes the projects we build and post here seem to get almost no followers, but I think there are many who follow and don't reply at the post.
As a newbie here, I agree, but I like to get familiar with a forum before I jump in with any comments or suggestions etc. Your Mini gasser got my attention right away and while following your build, I have picked up on 77Nomad and 78 ON MY PLATE.

I have been a Ford man since I started driving, having grown up in the Ford plant city of Oakville, Ontario. I now have a Chev Uplander mini van and bought a new 2010 Camaro SS 6m after researching the internet about the Camaro and Challenger and I knew I didn't want a Mustang because everyone has one of them.

Having had a photography hobby since in my teens, I got interested in building a web site to post many pictures about our motorcycle trips and my family. My last car was a 1965 Thunderbird convertible which I think I worked on more than I drove. After I blew the engine, I started documenting my repairs. The internet let me combine 3 hobbies of photography, web sites and cars.

So, I just wanted to tell you guys to keep up the interesting posting. I am sure there are many followers who are enjoying your projects and wish they had the money, tools, time and ability to do the same. At 68 years of age, that is all in my past and now I enjoy driving my Camaro without having to work on it as a project.

thx guys

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-tn_tbird002.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-tn_tbird001.jpg  

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build