The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Overdrive Member

I am bummed for you. So you think he scored enough dope to finish the job? Maybe those cigarettes he can seem to put down in every video are getting to him added to the dust in his lungs. That is what my dad has. 45 yrs in a polish shop working everything from brass to stainless the dust goes right up your nose. So he could be sick but I really doubt it.

I dont think he sold your heads though. He could be behind and trying to shuffle. But I dont think for a minute your heads are gone. Good luck and keep us posted. Weren't you doing some website stuff for him in exchange or something?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate it. Really don't know what to think, every few hours the story changes. Now I've been promised the heads/intake to be done otherwise, there will be some "sanding" left for ME to do and I won't have to pay him. I just want the work done properly (like we agreed on months ago) and to get the hell outta there. With literally every single promise ever made being broken now I just have zero confidence that I'm getting what was agreed upon. He wants his money so I sure hope there's no more issues. Just can't understand how in a 2 hour span he went from being so sick he couldn't "even get outta bed" to going to the Dr. and now able to complete everything including the intake? I know I won't be getting what was promised. That's what kills me! There's no way I'll leave the heads there if they're not done of course but I'm sure not paying the price we agreed on if the agreed work isn't done. That's what he's expecting. Part of the agreed price included a video of all work done for me to take home with me, not just the youtube videos. I'm betting that the heads won't be pumped when I get there to pick them up either. This is definitely one of the most bizarre issues I've ever had to deal with and I'll never understand what the hell happened. Of course, if you hear him talk, it's not his fault, it's everybody elses! No one else on earth ever has any issues/problems, only him.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the normal world of automotive services. From my experience almost everyone is running late, overworked, charging more, doing less, and expects you to be tickled to death they've even found time to fit your stuff in!
This is the number one reason so many guys would rather learn to do many things themselves, and also why so many one man operations are going under. They just don't get it. If they just did what they said they'd do, they'd be in business forever, and never need to advertise. I know a few guys who's word is good, and work is great, but I wont tell too many people about them or they'll get too busy to keep up!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

I guess you're right Vall. I just hope everything works out alright with this. I'll try to post an update from the hotel tomorrow evening.

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 04-07-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Overdrive Member

Sounds dope sick. Really.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
I guess you're right Vall. I just hope everything works out alright with this. I'll try to post an update from the hotel tomorrow evening.
I also hope it works out well! Keep your spirit up, and don't wory too much; it may all be fine in the end!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
However, the skin on my heel is probably the equivalent of a dual cut carbide burr. I can wear a new pair of socks 2-3 times before there's a giant hole in the heel.
I get some rough skin on my heels during the winter so I borrowed a "body care" tip from my wife. She uses a "body file" for lack of a better word to file/rub off the dead skin after a shower, then rubs in lots of hand lotion while her feet are still damp. I guess it looks more like a cheese shredder than a file and I was skeptical about using it at first but it really helps. After a few treatments I really notice a big difference.

A little off topic maybe, but it is about a "body file" (>:}

Old 04-08-2013, 11:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well guys, 1600 miles in 2 days and I just got home from picking up the heads and intake, at least I think they're mine..... Won't get into it right now but a brand new set of heads went down to TN for port work, what I brought home looks like they've went through a war. I don't know what to think. I'm going to post a BUNCH of pics tomorrow and ask for everyone's opinions on what they see. I see a mess. I'll leave off for the night with a question: If you had discussed repeatedly with someone the kind of work to be performed on something (anything really) and it was understood what was to be done, would you be compelled to have to tell that person over and over again "I did all the work that we talked about and gave it 110%!" "I did everything we talked about" "I made sure I did everything we talked about for you." Considering the work that was to be done was the "maximum effort Stage 5" port job, there's really only one way for them to be done right? MAXIMUM EFFORT! Pics coming tomorrow.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:48 AM
Overdrive Member

Oh noooo!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

I do believe most of the work got done on these heads, just don't think they are truly finished. I'm a stickler when it comes to cosmetics also, not that it will effect functionality, I'm not real impressed with the appearance of these things as they are really hacked up bad. I'm thinking I can bust the sand rolls back out and clean things up A LOT more and will have to hope for the best with performance. I just want to get some opinions on what you guys think of these things. If I look at pictures of the other work he's done, my heads look nothing like the other finished products. My intake is still full of metal shavings, not a little, all of them. Again, just have to hope for the best with these now. I'll get some pictures up later on today after I sleep for a while. Literally, 2 hours of sleep in the past 3 1/2 days so I'm about to shut down.

UB, appreciate the tip also sir, thank you. I have tried everything (your suggestion sounds a lot like a Ped Egg) which I've tried and it helps for a day, lol! I'm used to the way it is now so I just do my best. It's almost flip flop season too so I can save on socks!

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build