The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I forgot you already had your subframe out of the car! It's usually best to strip the suspension from the subframe while it's still on the car, then remove the bare subframe. Makes all of it easier.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

I actually really enjoyed the nice warm day we had this past weekend. It was really nice to be back out there working. I knew it would be a little tougher taking things apart with the subframe out of the car but still had a great time. I was feeling less sore than normal and it was just a nice reminder that this is what's it's all about! The cold is definitely back today however.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Overdrive Member

It started for us yesterday but man the 40's this time of year is just weird. I seriously think we are under 6" TOTAL the whole year. Crazy. You can by a snowmobile for a dollar around here.

I know its a rather large unusual part but if you find a 98 or newer Grand Prix two door. The center console might look good in my Camaro. I have been DD the womans old car and have been looking at the console. The hide away cup holder is cool. I need a power window switch for the same car. Our yards dont have anything this new. Thanks, if you dont feel like it dont worry about it.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 AM
3rd Gear Member

Anyone have any extra dust shields for the front brakes they aren't using/needing? I'm sure mine are still useable (after some bending back into shape) but I had an attack of ignorance yesterday trying to "walk" the subframe back out of the way in the garage after working on it. I stood the frame up on end and it fell over missing the door of the Camaro by less than 1/2"! Still don't know how it didn't take out the door/glass. Anyway, it made the dust shields look like L's when all was done.

Damon, won't be able to get up there until next week but I'll see what I can find for you. Looking for the charcoal colored one I'm assuming? This yard has mostly newer cars so I bet they might have something. My list is growing of things I'm trying to find too, hoping they have a couple 700r/4l60e's torn apart so I can grab a center support for my TH350 rebuild. Do you want me to try and grab a dizzy for you too? Trucks are something they have aplenty there!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

For those that might be interested in taking a look at part 1 of the aluminum head comparison that's being done with my heads (Procomp) vs Patriot vs Brodix. Tony at Headbytes.com is performing all of the work and is VERY thorough in his explanations. The first part is actually discussing intake fitment with which gaskets that work the best for what head/intake combo you might be using. Good, unbiased information that might be helpful for those that are on the fence about which route to go. Grab a beer and some popcorn though, it's just over 45 minutes long!

I learned something else today too, LOL. My bench grinder is temperature sensitive. I had an hour or so to kill before getting the kids from school and thought I'd get some nuts/bolts cleaned up and ready. The temp today was right around 12 degrees and had to laugh at the grinder topping out at about 100 rpm's! Needless to say I didn't get very many done.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:04 AM
Overdrive Member

Seems like a good ole boy. I like his thoroughness. I would like to see his carving the heads now. I want to see a "stage 5" port. I have been thinking about my heads lately,this guy has my interest.

As for the temp yeah. Its cold. I was outside after work giving the family truckster a once over before the woman cruises to GR for a Dr appointment for my son. Cold, damn cold. I was going to change the oil because it still has the break in oil in it. Heck no! maybe Sat

Last edited by 77nomad; 01-18-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I am very impressed with his thoroughness, and technical knowledge! I'm also impressed with his overall knowledge of gasket and intake fitment! Not many guys know how to make use of different gaskets to improve the runner fitment, or take the time to check all the options in gaskets before porting.
Many hobby home builders would really gain from seeing this video and learning how much better their engine can perform from something as simple as gasket thickness and alignment! Even if you can't port match your heads and intake, you can still get things very close by just getting the right gasket size and thickness.
Thanks for sharing the video! I thoroughly enjoyed his info!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

Good deal guys, glad you liked the video. Tony really knows his stuff and I am so completely excited to see the results he comes up with. I'll post the next video as it becomes available. He's got his work cut out for him with all the sonic testing and mapping before he gets into the cutting but it's coming soon! I'm trying to finalize what I'm doing for an intake and get that down to him also. He's told me flat out that I should be using a single plane intake instead of the Weiand Stealth that I've got now. Says the difference in power is minimal at low RPM's but is huge at the upper end. My main focus is getting the best bottom end power possible and to be honest, I'm a lttle concerned about what I've always known to be true between open/dual plane intkes at lower rpm's.

Not sure what the wind is like over your way Damon but it would've actually been pretty pleasant here lately without the 30-40 mph gusts! I'm rapidly getting to the point of lost sanity with this winter crap! We got so close to seeing the ground again last week, then the next day came... As I sit here looking out the window and can barely see the garage because it's snowing so damn hard!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:02 AM
Overdrive Member

Funny, I need a good storm. We have not had one at all. I like a good two-three day blizzard to slow things down. At Christmas mostly. But when the big flakes come down without wind, I find it peaceful at times. As of now its 15-20* and blowing like a witches tit. Again not even enough dust to cover the grass. I am amazed, I live less than ten miles to the shore of Lake Michigan. There is a reason they invented the tern lake effect snow. We have had the cold for sure, the snow hasnt came at all. I shoveled an inch one time. The rest never covered my driveway.

As for your head guy. I too am rather impressed. I also think it would be a good watch for novice guys who dont know how to line up the manifold. I learned to cut the gasket out to the silicone too. I dont know why it never dawned on me to do it. I sent him an e-mail telling him about my heads. He got back with me but I didnt have time for a phone call. I want his opinion on my heads. I spent the night reading and watching his other videos. The video on chamber unshrouding is a good one too Val. I bet your fuelies could use that trick.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM
3rd Gear Member

I might as well stop complaining, winter is here for a lot longer around here. Starting tomorrow and all of next week will be the worst yet. Another storm moving in right now, under weather advisory until this time tomorrow with another 8" coming tonight. It's in the 30's today and for the next week we'll barely get above single digits and negative at night. Super.

I was going to mention all his other videos, glad you looked at them. Did you see the one about the tubes in the procomp's? He's doing that in mine but I have yet to figure them out. The video about how terrible the Big Block Dart seats came brand new is interesting too. Couldn't imagine paying that much money for a set of new heads and get them looking like that! Glad you got ahold of him, hopefully he can help you figure something out. I need to talk to him soon and get this intake decision figured out.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build