The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Overdrive Member

Cool, it looks like it should be in a museum car. I guess if it never see's sun it wont deteriorate. I will look into mine. I have been thinking about the Camaro hard lately. I may have to find a way to get it going.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Uncle Bob, if you left Livonia then you stopped here. They called us the best stop ever in Power Tour history in 2011. We were so honerd that they came back the next year.
I remember Livonia Well. My brother-in-law's parents used to live there back in the 60-70's. The tour registration started in the GM Proving Grounds. Didn't realize how big it was until we were leaving. There were cars as far as I could see in front and back of me. That's when I first saw how slow my car could go. Idling and chugging along in 1st gear at 4-5 MPH gave my left foot a rest.

plan is to get the truck out on PT. The first LS ram and a couple hair driers to make it really pop.
That will surprise a lot of folks when they look under the hood. I couldn't believe the number of expensive cars and the mods there were. Saw a few that must have been in the 5-6 MPG range. I got very good mileage even with lead footing it a few times. Few?? I guess it was more like a lot at the 4 way stops in the small towns!

Come on over for Woodward Dreamcruise. Its not the same but close, probably more cars.
I'll have to look for that on the internet. We went to a Jack Roush open house a few years ago in Michigan after going down to tour the Nascar Garages. He has a nice collection. Saw a Cunningham but can't find anything about it. I've seen pictures on TV about the Woodward Cruise but never thought of going to it.

Uncle BoB

Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Overdrive Member

Its about as big a car even as it gets. Not so much organized like PT though.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
Cleaning the plastic wasn't very enjoyable but the detailer in me reared it's head on that one. I did manage to hold off on any silicone dressing on it though! I started off with a brush and Simple Green on some of the larger openings and ended with a dishrag and a skinless pointer finger on the smaller ones.
I had a 1965 Thunderbird convertible that had ribbed/grooved door panels. They were a stinker to clean but nothing did the job like WD40. I just sprayed it on the dirty areas, let it sit a few minutes then wiped it off in the direction of the grooves. Couldn't believe how well it cleaned up.

Uncle BoB

Old 09-17-2013, 08:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

I agree, WD40 is good for so many things. I do like Simple Green as far as cleaners go. I use it on the interiors of my cars and haven't found much better for cleaning that still works and won't take the dye out of the leather on the seats. I just cleaned up a set of vortec heads today so I could try and sell them and used WD on the inside to keep the rust off the springs, studs etc. and they look like new again.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Default Need assistance

I am currently redoing a 78 camaro myself. Alot of the wiring needs replaced. What are your feelings on the Painless wiring kits and if not fond of any suggestions for wiring harnesses

Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the group Citaliano68! I know there are several wiring kits available for these cars and from what I've heard, the Painless is a good choice. I myself have not replaced harnesses yet in mine (lord know I should be) so I really don't have an informed opinion. I have looked into American Auto Wire and like what they offer also. There are several others here that have first hand experience and can probably help answer your question more specifically. Are you looking for certain harnesses or just replacing everything?

Old 09-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Overdrive Member

AAW is a cheaper wire from what I have read but Painless is way over priced. So Pick your poison.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

I had heard that too about AAW but was just reading about "improved" quality on their kits. Again, not an informed opinion but I'm of the belief that new wiring, whether cheaper quality than a different manufacturer or not is still better than 35+ year old existing wiring in the Camaro. Is it just thickness of the wire or thickness of the covering that's cheaper? Just can't see how a new, made in USA wiring kit would cause problems in my lifetime as long as it's installed correctly of course. I haven't heard of anyone using AAW kits and having problems either. Like you said though, a matter of choice or opinion. I'm still bummed that the guy over on the other forum that was offering custom tailored harnesses with a side of bacon didn't follow through on his word. That would've been the way to go for sure! I know you remember him Damon.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Which wiring system you purchase is not usually a matter of if the wires are better insulation, or not. Almost all the name brand kits have the same wires and insulation. What I've seen and heard complaints about is the way the harnesses are put together, and the service support. Painless is overpriced as Damon mentioned, and doesn't have a good rep for being easy to communicate with, if you have an issue or question. AAW has good customer service, and good wiring system, and a better choice if you are going factory replacement systems.
I personally would not use either company if you're not looking for a bolt in factory style harness, as there are cheaper/better systems for cars that aren't being wired to "concours" restorations, and don't need to use all the factory gauges, etc. If your plan is to do custom gauges, and more of a pro street or hotrod car, then a better choice is Speedway's 20 ckt. GM wiring harness. It's a fantastic choice for any GM based car, and I found it the easiest harness system to install of all I've used.
The Speedway kit comes with long wire runs that are marked continuously the entire length, and reach everywhere. It has enough circuits and wires for anything you might have stock, plus extras for things we might add later. It also comes with a new headlight switch, new dimmer switch for the floor, and all the connectors for the ends, including new headlight connectors if yours are corroded. (like mine were!) With 20 ckt. fuse block, it's more than your car originally had, and with two extra relays on the block it can support aftermarket cooling fans and fuel pumps. It also has some spare ckts. that will be there if needed too. It has two connectors for the steering column, in case you're using it on a post 86 steering column, but the one that's pinned in the kit will plug right into any 2nd gen, so that makes it simpler for these cars.
The best part of the Speedway kit is the 6 page instruction sheets that really help installation, and the price. I gave $160 for mine from the local Speedway rep, but they can also be ordered direct from Speedway for a little more with S&H. No other kit has so much for anywhere close to the price, but the only drawback is this kit isn't set up to plug into the factory cluster, so you'd need to reuse that connector, or do a custom dash/gauges like many have done, and I did too.

Here's the kit:
Speedway Universal 20 Circuit Wiring Harness - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build