The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

LOL! I know you would, and I appreciate that. That would be a hell of a trip for 30 seconds worth of work! My comment was more of a "I'm being impatient and don't want to wait for a friend to drag his butt over here" complaint than a passive plea for help. It is ironic however, I can get phone calls at 5 a.m. when "they" are broke down in the driveway and late for work and need help. Or, the "what are you doing? Wanna bring me a gas can?" That kind of stuff never gets factored into the equation when it's my turn to ask for help. Oh well, lol. Complaining doesn't get frames flipped over. I'm pretty sure I can use the engine hoist with some straps to get it up and over.

Doubt the Jeep is doing the same thing my Cadi was doing when it had a miss a couple years ago. Mine ended up being the IAC sensor. It took 5 separate trips back to the dealership over 5 weeks before they got it figured out. They kept guessing as they too were stumped, installing a new part, and not bothering to CHECK if it was fixed or not. I'd get the call "the car is fixed, you can come pick it up" and all I had to do was start it, let it idle for 2-3 min. and realize nothing was fixed. Then they wanted me to make an appointment to bring the Cadi back so they could remove all the new parts they installed that didn't fix the problem! It's all about planning with them, and no, I didn't go back. Anyway, just thought I'd mention that. Code scanner won't isolate anything?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Ran into similar problems on every build I've ever done. I'm always on my own, and yet I seem to get called by all my friends when they need a hand. I usually try my best to not scrape up the new paint, and then touch it up after I do. When I got the engine/trans back in the Falcon recently I had to touchup the frame and the firewall braces. Just couldn't get it dropped in, push the car forward, and lower, without bumping things a little.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 06-04-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Funny how that works. If I waited around for people to come help me I don't think the engine would even be out yet. I used some shipping blankets and new towels this morning after the kids went to school. I flipped the frame onto the blanket so I didn't have to try and spin it around again. That didn't work out so well for me last time and almost took out the whole side of the Camaro. Anyway, I flipped it over, slid it back up where I wanted it and then put towels on the jack stands. Good to go. Funny really, as I pulled back into the garage from school, I pulled up a little too far and nudged the engine hoist that was covered in blankets. One slid down onto the hood of the Cadi and it then registered what I should do Only wasted one afternoon waiting!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Overdrive Member

Glad your good. I found that a few pairs of cheap Jersey gloves worked on my jack stands. I now save the pair in a cabinet for them. Works great.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Glad your good. I found that a few pairs of cheap Jersey gloves worked on my jack stands. I now save the pair in a cabinet for them. Works great.
That's a good use for gloves once they get worn through, and too dirty to keep using! I've got work gloves laying everywhere, and occasionally grab a pair with a hole and don't notice until I feel hot metal against my fingertip!

Last edited by 1971BB427; 06-05-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Overdrive Member

LOL Val I know the feeling all to well. When I was a technician at work My gloves wold get grease and oil soaked gloves. Working around 800* metal everything gets hot from radiant heat. The soaked gloves transfer heat WAY too easy. Then the ones with holes suck when I pick up hot castings to examine them and find a hole with a 800* part. I have a couple marks from that.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'm not a big jersey glove wearer myself, basically for the reasons you mentioned. I have a few pairs of the mechanics gloves and some leather welding ones, that's about it. I do however have a massive amount of detailing towels that were perfect for the jack stands. They are about as cheap as the jersey gloves and I just happened to have two new packages sitting out there. I end up using them as shop rags after they get used for cleaning interiors, door jambs etc. and it ended up being good timing to have new ones. I know HF has rubber tops for jack stands that I probably should just order though. Pretty much from here on out they'll be good to have. I think jack stands should come with them anyway.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I have dozens of those lightweight kevlar gloves with the rubberized palms. When I was close to retiring the safety guy at work was piling them up one day to return them, as they were switching to a newer, heavier glove. He had dozens of opened cases, and said their supplier wouldn't take any open cases back, so he was giving them away!
I grabbed all the extra larges I could find, plus all the extra small for my wife to use in the garden. I may run out someday, but it'll probably be when I'm too old to build cars!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Overdrive Member

Cool score Val. I personnally have a stash of gloves that is impressive really. I have Army issue Mt. Division cold weather mittens for snow blowing, they come up to my elbow. I have a 6 1/2 foot wing span so there huge!. Then it seams like every now and again my FIL drops off some work gloves he gets from God knows where. I really dont were gloves very often unless its hot work or really greasy.

Tim I am finding that the micro fiber towels work great for wiping down the inside of my motor. They dont seam to leave lint behind.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Seriously contemplating a Yugo build at this point....

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-fotd814.jpg  

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build