The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Tim, I'm ready for spring to get here! I've been gathering parts for my motor right now. I have the Probe forged pistons. Scat rods and Eagle stroker crank, ARP head and main studs and a few other parts. Trying to find a roller cam to suit my needs next.

I want to get the floor pan finished and the interior put together but between family commitments, honey-dos, the gym, a new garage door to install and an upcoming trip to Alaska I haven't had time to even look at it. I'm so ready to get some serious time out in the garage for sure. It'll be nice to get it running someday!

When you get yours running I'll have to drive up and see it! Maybe even get a ride! Keep up the good work!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

You are absolutely right Vall, they're not cheap by any stretch! I went to Summit and put 4 fittings in my "cart" and the total is already $67 before shipping. Not looking forward to buying those things but gotta do it right for sure. Wish I had the money for them now but moreover, wish I had a true need for them right now! I officially have the frame ready for the Fast Etch and paint tomorrow. Weather is looking quite balmy at 85, just hope the humidity isn't ridiculous. It's getting painted tomorrow no matter what though! Can't wait to show some pictures of how well the molasses solution that I made last fall is working on the rusty control arms and dust shields. Would've put some pics up tonight but just ran out of time before the Wings game came on. Can't believe how well that solution works on rust! It's amazing.

Neil/Neal, that sounds like you're going to have one angry engine when it's all put together sir. I really wish I could have gotten a roller cam for this build but I'll have to settle for the beefy hydraulic cam for now. It's still pretty stout at 534 lift and 295 duration but it's not a roller setup and that bums me out. I will definitely hold you to the ride when it's done sir, just hoping and praying it'll be this summer! I understand what you mean about the commitments putting a hamper on progress. I've been lucky this week and trying to capitalize on the free time I've got and get some things done. School is done the end of next week and hopefully I can figure out a way to get some work done in the garage with the kids pulling at my shirt to play with them. No matter how hard I try to work on something when the kids are here, it never works out. Couldn't be more excited about hearing this engine run, but, I'll take the kids smiles and sound of their laughter when we play any day over anything. Gotta be a way to do both though! Hope you can carve out some time to get going on your build as I would love to see some pics of your progress as well! Go Wings!! Overtime starting now, tense time in this house.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well that didn't take long... More time to work in the garage now instead of watching TV I guess. Damn.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Couple pics showing the molasses rust removal method. First pic (obvious) before molasses, second pic is just after parts pulled from the solution, third pic is after I power washed them. Ready for paint, which is now done. Have to put two more coats of POR 15 on the frame today and then I'm ready to start assembly.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2826.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2986.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2998.jpg  
Old 05-31-2013, 07:23 PM
Overdrive Member

it really does work. I want a decent coating on my garage floor like you. I have painted so much that I have over spray everywhere. When I'm finally done I will but for now I know I'll screw it up.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm glad that I'm able to get some good use out of that molasses solution. Ended up investing more than I originally thought on the stuff so it's good to see good results with it. I had to do the floor in the garage a couple summers ago as it was really trashed inside there. Never takes very long for the floor to get filthy but at least now it's a lot easier to clean. Not expecting it to be clean for a long time with all the grinding left to do underneath the Camaro. Just got internal frame coating all over the floor yesterday as a matter of fact. Wish that stuff wasn't pea green! My kids picked out the blue floor coating and we did it together. I painted and they got to pour the sparkly glitter stuff on the wet paint. Glad it's done though. Sure I'll have to redo the floor after the car project is finished. Anyway, here's a pic of the frame after the second coat. I'll put another coat on in the morning and finish the other side. It's turning out pretty nice and I'm glad to see it finally in paint. Progress.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3011.jpg  
Old 06-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Overdrive Member

Purdy.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Subframe looks very nice! I'd trash a nice garage floor quickly with paint, and whatever else I sprayed, dripped, or spilled on it. But I'd still like to have a nice big garage with a nice floor so I could trash it!

Old 06-01-2013, 10:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

I understand and you're absolutely right Vall, it's a good problem to have. I really haven't seen the floor clean since the day it was painted. Having a gravel driveway makes short work of the cleanliness. Not that I'm concerned about it being dirty or getting overspray everywhere but it was nice to see it all clean and "sparkly" when the kids and I finished it! It lasted as long as it took me to pull the cars in that evening.

Appreciate the comments on the subframe guys, it's nice to have it at least mostly coated. Bad part about going at this myself though, I'm in dire need of help to flip this thing over to finish the other side! I bet I could utilize the cherry picker to get it flipped over without too much carnage (to frame and/or my back) instead of waiting for help and losing more time? Don't want to mess things up doing it myself and scraping it around trying to get it turned over at this point. I'm going to finish up cleaning the control arms and spindles tomorrow so I can get them in paint also. Should be able to have this front end mostly put together this coming week if all goes well. Think we've had enough rain for a little while now, it can stop anytime. That would certainly help the cause!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Overdrive Member

I would jump on the highway this morning if I had a highway worthy vehicle. My cherokee has a miss that has me so stumped I have resorted to hailmary attemps at replacing sensors that may or may not be bad.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build