The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That's a vent, the cap snaps on and kind of floats. The easy fix would be to take the cap all the way off and attach a rubber riser hose to the plastic fitting, and wire it up to something above. Some diffs, like on trucks, are hosed that way from the factory to prevent potential swamp water from getting into the vent.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Overdrive Member

^^^^What he said!^^^^ My truck is attached to the bottom of the bed. NAPA should have one.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

Alright, good deal. I wasn't sure if it would still leak after I up-righted the rear end, it's upside down currently letting the paint dry. Think I'll get a new cap for it, glad to know there's other ways to take care of it though. Thanks very much!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

My Falcon's 8.8" is routed up and simply pushed into a hole in the frame rail to vent the hose. I didn't have the cap on my Austin, so I routed a hose up to the frame and put a fuel filter on the end to let it vent, but keep dirt and critters out, then strapped it to the frame.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'll look for a cap locally first and if I can't find one then I'll use a piece of hose like you guys mentioned. It sounds like I don't need to worry about fluid being forced up and out of there and that was my main concern. Hoping to keep the swamp water to a minimum and although it's minor, would rather have the cap than another vent hose. Either way though I appreciate the insight gentlemen. I'm still trying to decide whether I should be going after the tail pan and quarter repairs now while everything's apart or get this thing back together and operational first. Serious internal strife going on right now...

Old 08-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Overdrive Member

Tough call. This is where I find myself sometimes on the Camaro. Stop and fix it or get it together and drive.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If it doesn't mean doing major items twice, then I'd go the get it together and drive first thing. Too many people try to get every little item done before getting a project on the road, and years later it's not done, and sitting untouched.
I've always concentrated on getting them on the road, and try to do big things before assembly, but not sweat the things that can be done after I can start enjoying the ride.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

Therein lies the problem with making the decision. As far as big things are concerned, this stuff is really at the top of the list. As the body sits right now, tail pan exposed and nothing in the way underneath, now would be the time to get at that stuff. No matter what I realize that some things will have to be taken apart twice (or more) before being finished. I don't have the skills, tools, funds and therefore plans to do all the body work before getting this Camaro on the road. Tail pan won't have to be removed, just need the lower panel and can do that myself. Just keep thinking how foolish it would be to have the shell sitting here, working on the tail pan and NOT doing the pass side quarter/rocker until later. More foolish yet, would be for me to think I'll be able to drive the car this year anyway. Think I'll start doing some panel shopping, anyone have any 90% off coupons for Auto Metal Direct???

Back to the rear end - Does anyone know off the top o' their heads what size the threads are on the breather vent for the GM 10 bolt? It's either 1/8 or 1/4" and I haven't pulled it out yet to see. Summit has the vents for a couple bucks and I'll just throw one in the cart when I get around and ready to order the new springs and shackle bolts. Lastly, when filling the diff with fluid (I'm going through the drain plug in the cover) do I fill until the level is up to the plug hole? Wasn't sure if there was a specific amount or the "fill it 'til it starts to come out" amount. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 08-02-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Pull the fill hole on the side of the housing and fill till it starts to run back out. I wouldn't trust the hole position on an aftermarket cover, the housing fill hole is the reference point.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Overdrive Member

You plan on just cutting out the exposed rusty piece of the rear panel, say behind where the bumper would hide the seam? Thats what I was thinking would be easiest. I havent seen any pics of the rust anywhere on your car but if your rear is as bad as my 78 then it was nothing more than a outline of the 2" or so exposed piece and the rest was great.

Rockers can be patched at anytime. For that matter there isnt much to remove to do the 1/4 down the road. If you think about it. There is the bumper, tail lights and the spoiler. Thats about 30 min work if I'm on a roll. Oh yeah the trim strip on the bumper to 1/4 seam. Anyhow. I would hate to see you get so far and then not be able to finish like I am in right now. I am on a break until tax season or I sell the truck. One or the other.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build