The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You mentioned earlier that you were considering bypassing the MSD box for now. Have you?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Problem now is to make sure you don't flood and dilute the new oil again! Every time you try to start it, and crank more fuel into the cylinders, it runs past the rings into the crankcase. Only way to avoid this is to fire the engine, and burn most of that fuel.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:46 AM
3rd Gear Member

Haven't bypassed the MSD, figured it was working or the car wouldn't fire at all. It does fire every time I try to start it, just won't stay running for more than 2 seconds. Haven't tried to start it since changing the oil, which I'm not the least bit concerned about. That oil, while not cheap, won't be staying in there for more than a couple days. I'm going to measure voltage to the coil later on when I can hopefully get a buddy over here to turn the key for me while I check. If there's any issues when I measure voltage I probably will disconnect the 6AL. Not wanting to remove the console and shifter stuff again unless it's necessary to. Think I'll work on getting the fan switch figured out today, it's worked before so I'm hoping it's just a ground issue. The ground terminal strip I bought was a complete waste. Didn't realize you still needed a separate ground for each terminal, sort of defeats the purpose of the strip. There isn't ONE main terminal to ground and then run your grounds from there, it's small, individual terminals that are each separate from the next. Had no idea it was like that when I got it, Radio Shack special! I probably will try to start the Camaro today, don't think I mentioned it but the mark on the balancer matches up with the rockers/valves perfect when I checked the other day. I looked where the rotor was pointing when I lined up the balancer with zero and it was pointing exactly at #1. That was at least a good confirmation that it was done right initially. All this follow up checking is making me second guess things that I'm positive were done correctly the first time. Then again, a running Camaro would sure help do away with the need to go back over everything time and again. Here's hoping August 21 is the day this Camaro decides it's ready to run.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
Haven't bypassed the MSD, figured it was working or the car wouldn't fire at all.
Ok, so then make sure that the MSD box is the only power source to the distributor. You don't use the factory hookup that originally powered the coil/distributor.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

Big thanks for the confirmation on not doing that Chuck. I had asked that question a couple of times and didn't really ever get an answer. I don't have anything hooked up to the B+ terminal on the distributor. The box IS the only power source, appreciate the info. Still going to check power to the coil and I can set the multimeter in front of the windshield so I can see it, don't need to wait on anyone to help. I'm heading out to the garage shortly, had to get this ice-bucket challenge accepted and out of the way. At least it's a nice humid day to do it, too bad the sun's not shining. Thought seriously hard about nominating a few dozen people to donate to the "Get this '78 Camaro running and driving phenomenon!" Would that be selfish?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
I don't have anything hooked up to the B+ terminal on the distributor. The box IS the only power source, appreciate the info.
I presume you mean you don't have anything extra hooked to it?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

I've got the ignition box hooked up to the three wire plug that comes off the distributor. I don't have any wire connected to the terminal inside the cap. Got the coil wires from the box connected to the coil terminals inside the cap and have a ground from the terminal in between the 2 coil wires.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

Tried to start it again, fired almost instantly and then back to the same ol' you know what. Here's the 59 seconds afterward and that's how long it took to fill the plugs with fuel again. Now I just get chug chug, chug chug which is what I'm about to do myself this evening!

http://vid1298.photobucket.com/album...ps5ba5bd9b.mp4

Old 08-21-2014, 08:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

I feel compelled to post this video from last week the one time I actually had the Camaro running. Don't want anyone thinking I'm BS'ing when I said that it ran! Ironically, the only time it ran was when I had the screwdriver stuck in the choke with the electric disconnected. This is how I know timing was at least ok to do this. Moreover, now, more than ever this is why it makes no sense for it to not run at all and just instantly flood out! Spark is good, just can't seem to keep up with the fuel dumping into the engine. It's not like I'm pumping the pedal repeatedly.

WP_20140811_001_zpsfe30c1ae.mp4 Video by t002530 | Photobucket

Old 08-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Eh boy, could be a few things. I would start eliminating some of the uncertainties, starting with wiring the distributor direct and taking the MSD out of the loop. I know the engine ran before, kind of, but something could have toasted. Then the carb. I'm wondering if maybe the needle and seat isn't seating, and the carb is flooding. Also, what valve lash adjustment did you follow?

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build