The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:08 AM
3rd Gear Member

Your point is certainly valid with regard to being able to get at the quarters easily enough. I had the tail lights spoiler and bumper cover off in no time flat. Bumper would've been off quicker but 3 of the bottom bolts started to spin on me so I had to grind them out. The tail pan is not getting removed completely, I should be able to replace the bottom panel but I thought there was another inner panel that would have to be replaced also? The quarter should probably be replaced completely but still not sure what I'll be able to get away with doing. Here's a couple pics of the situation. The upper corner by the trunk is rough as is the bottom corner by the tail pan/trunk. I will most definitely have to re-visit the 1/4 if I decide to replace the whole thing, eventually. It just makes so much more sense to do this stuff now with the gas tank removed as well as the rear end. It is what it is and I will probably just get the tail pan taken care of now. Bottom line is that I'll need to have the car able to roll one way or the other in order to get some of the other work done. Having the funds available to do it all would certainly be helpful as well I'm guessing. Still haven't finished the cleaning on the bottom and planning a midnight auto session tomorrow with or without my buddy who claims he's coming over to finally help me out! Here's a pic of the diff all cleaned and painted (drums are done now too.) I'm sure some will hate the bolt caps but in all honesty, they look really sharp on there and should look good when it's all reinstalled.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3328.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3331.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3326.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3329.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3339.jpg  

Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Looks nice, but how come you didn't put little LED lights on the diff cover caps too, that move in a marquee fashion? Oh well, you can always upgrade that!

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-03-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Overdrive Member

That was harsh. Maybe the marquee should read first gens suck.

I would cut this out here and then use it a template on the patch to cut the exact piece from that. The 1/4 isnt as bad as I thought it may be. If the wheel arches are good then again I would buy a patch panel and use the piece I cut out as a pattern for the new piece. The area under the spoiler can be fixed with a piece of scrap. The spoiler will hide and imperfections. The bumper should hide the 1/4 repair too.
Name:  tailpanelrust_zpsc11a1f3a.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  77.1 KB

Last edited by 77nomad; 08-03-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

LOL Chuck! You really think I could get LED's in them caps??? I was worried about the exposed wires. Maybe the marquee could read "hoods? where we're going we don't need hoods!" I just figured it's labeled as a disco mobile and I wanted to bring full awareness to the fact that I have a $20 cover on there. Then I thought what better way to do that than with $.60 caps?! They are just sitting on there now, not stuck. The stainless bolts I bought to go with the new cover during the gear swap miraculously disappeared at the shop when the work was done so I was left with the rusty originals. I did get MORE new bolts for the cover.

On the tail pan that's where I was planning to cut but need to get the new panel here first of course. Nice line there as a reference to cut and I like that. That'll be the next thing I get for the Camaro. The pass side quarter is rough. You can't see the rest of the rust because it's packed so full of bondo. If you look at the pic you can see where the first layer flaked off in a section. I bet it's over an inch thick in spots. From the inside I can see a piece of wire mesh exposed but haven't broke the sander out yet to really see what the rest looks like. It's bad along the entire bottom and up in the door jamb under the striker too. Not sure patch panels will do it.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3333.jpg  
Old 08-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Overdrive Member

But the stock exhaust hanger is in there. I dont think I have ever seen a car with them.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yep, they're both still in there. Will those increase the value?

Old 08-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Overdrive Member

No just usually are rotten.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

So there IS a cross rail section behind the tail pan on the lower section afterall. Only one place (Ebay) that I know of that sells these. Looks like it's not going to be as easy as I thought. Been a while since I updated anything, nothing to update really. Gas tank is done, yee haw. Did get a new welder, if you can really call it a welder but it should work good enough to tack in some new pieces eventually. I'm going to finally get the new springs ordered this week and try to get something accomplished before too long....hopefully.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-tail-panel-cross-rail.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-tail-panel-cross-rail-2.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3425.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 05:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Finally got the new leaf springs ordered today after a LONG wait for some funds. I'm thoroughly excited to start getting this thing put back together a little bit. I know there was a little discussion about the rear diff. housing vents, but I would love it if anyone knows of where I could get a replacement vent for the 8.5" housing? I'd really rather avoid using another piece of hose to vent this thing but I can't find a replacement vent that will fit. Summit has vents, but they're all threaded and I checked mine, and of course it's not. If anyone has an extra vent from an old housing, I'd be glad to purchase it. Or, if anyone has an idea of where I can find them online, I'd be ever so grateful! A couple dollar piece of plastic really isn't worth the gas money to drive all the way up over the bridge to the Upper Peninsula to the scrap yard.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I can check at the ring and pinion shop that I use here if you'd like Tim! It may take me a few days as it's a busy week but I'll gladly see if they have one.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build