My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear member

The engine is not for sale, my old man has a '69 Chevelle that this engine will be translanted into. I have a buddy whos a transmission guy look in the oil pan of that TH350 that i removed and he couldnt believe that the car still drove, the oil was completely cooked and the pan was full of metal shavings. This is going to be rebuilt with molded pistons, high friction clutches, shift kit, seal kit ect.

The day before i left i ordered some custom made Corbeau seats, they are a full leather CR1 seat with 5 point camlock style harnesses. They definately think highly of the custom seats at $775 a peice but should look nice in the car. Corbeau doesnt offer a CR1 in wide which is why they are custom, i also ordered double locking bases for both of the seats. Depending on what the cage design is like im going to order matching five point harnesses for the rear seats just to match the fronts.

The seats are around 10 weeks out but the shop i ordered them from are going to lend me a corbeau seat for measuremnts with the cage if i need it. Still waiting on the rear end, it should be in any day now. Im workin my bag off in Russia to try and get home as soon as possible to start working on the car now.

My next issue is going to be transmission lines. I *****ed one of the lines plus i am installing a new style of transmission. How do i make lines for this? Can i order a flare tool and a bender and make my own custom tubes? Do you order tubing that is a specified length with ends already on it? Im pretty good at bending hydraulic tubing and im sure i can figure out how to bend the tranny lines i just dont know how you buy the lines in the first place or what tools i will need to do this. Anyone have any insight on this matter?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

When I did my tranny lines for the gasser I simply looked around at existing cars with the same tranny and ordered a line set for that car. They normally tuck close to the trans and engine, and will work on most cars.
I didn't run the lines into the radiator, so I cut them about 1' off that end and installed a trans cooler, then ran hi pressure hose the last foot to the cooler. I prefer to not have the radiator coolers, as it adds heat to the radiator. The trans runs cooler with a separate trans cooler too.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks for the heads up. I dont beleive there were many cars that had a 4L80e for a transmission, i believe this was only in trucks, cube vans, motorhomes, ect. I spoke to some other guys here in russia on the matter and they claim that you can buy precut lengths with the ends on it, this really sounds like a pain as i would rather just buy the correct tooling and do it myself. Gonna have to look around when i get into Canada.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Sudstoy
Thanks for the heads up. I dont beleive there were many cars that had a 4L80e for a transmission, i believe this was only in trucks, cube vans, motorhomes, ect. I spoke to some other guys here in russia on the matter and they claim that you can buy precut lengths with the ends on it, this really sounds like a pain as i would rather just buy the correct tooling and do it myself. Gonna have to look around when i get into Canada.
What vehicle they came in really doesn't matter. Order lines for a truck, and they'll probably fit fine. Might need minor bending or tweaking to work, but I bet not much. The lines almost always hug the trans and block enough to work fine, so I would still order them for whatever that trans came in.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:00 AM
2nd Gear member

Looks like i got some good news and some bad news, the bad news is that im coming back to canada in a couple days to take care of a really horrific project at work, the good news is that new engine might be in sooner then i thought Gonna check out oil lines from a chev 3500 gasser, will have to check and see what years had the 4L80E. Thanks for the heads up

Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Coming home is the bad news?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:53 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by Sudstoy
to take care of a really horrific project at work,
I think this is the bad...

Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Overdrive Member

I would just use -6 teflon lined stainless hose. Then route it as you please. Then again I have 50' coiled up in the garage. If you can find a local Aeroquip dealer, they can crimp the ends on or simply use the push on ones. I have a Parker hose crimper at work so I just take my stuff in a crimp it there.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:56 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I would just use -6 teflon lined stainless hose. Then route it as you please. Then again I have 50' coiled up in the garage. If you can find a local Aeroquip dealer, they can crimp the ends on or simply use the push on ones. I have a Parker hose crimper at work so I just take my stuff in a crimp it there.
I like the sounds of using the teflon/SS lines and finding a company that sells aeroquip products will be no issue, i dont know if id use the push on fittings but possibly a "field crimp" style which is what my old fuel lines were. I have no idea how much pressure the transmission lines have to take, can someone fill me in on this? I would think that 3/8" are too big as the lines that came off look to be smaller then the 3/8" tubing that i used to bend.

And yes the bad part is the project that i have to take care of even though it is nice to be at home.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I think they're 5/16", but try finding that in braided line. I usually go to 3/8" on anything I replace with hose that was 5/16".

Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build